Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ARs again

+10
hawcer
Arty
Mohunter
RemMan700
Retired Navy
Daywalker
XbonesX
dartfreak75
Reload3006
Hughie
14 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

ARs again - Page 2 Empty Re: ARs again

Post by dartfreak75 Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:52 pm

then again you can get this already built for 629!
http://www.centerfiresystems.com/images/view.aspx?productId=3347
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:31 pm

here is another good deal. 614.00 shipped to your door. It is the upper that I have. This of course is less the stripped lower...

http://ar15sa.fatcow.com/store/page2.html

Scroll down and you will see the Stag 2H kit. Comes with everything except lower. You get the upper, bolt, bolt carrier group,lower parts kit,6 posisiton collapsable stock complete ready to go....

Then watch at aimsurplus and when they get their stripped spikes tactical lowers in stock, grab one for 69.00

Then you have in total 683.00 give or take a couple dollars....

Just my opinion and of course, it being a stag, you won't go wrong and have one heck of an ar with extra money left over to top it off with whatever scope you want. The upper does come with flip up rear site and an A2 front site.
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hughie Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:00 pm

Ok instead of starting another thread . Im going to stay with this one. cabelas has a .450 bushmaster upper for $ 550.00 . will any lower fit it or should the upper be fitted with a bushy lower??/
Hughie
Hughie

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:04 pm

Any lower will do....You will be better off with one that has a rifle stock, not the adjustable carbine type. Trust me, I know Wink

Edit:

If you do get a Bushy lower, stay away from the carbon/plastic ones or any plastic lowers from anybody else too.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Hughie Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:50 pm

how come not the adjustable?? to much kick??
Hughie
Hughie

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:41 pm

Hughie wrote:how come not the adjustable?? to much kick??

They are not the most comfortable while firing the 450. The heavier buffer and longer recoil spring of the rifle stock also helps in recoil.

The recoil isn't all that bad....somewhere between a 308 and 12 gauge....maybe more like a 20 gauge or muzzle loader.

They are fun to shoot and do nasty things to whatever they run into.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:11 am

one other note...and this goes for all AR's. as far as scope rings go...the "high" rings are still a tad too low for comfort and a quick sight picture. You are going to need a scope rail riser,especially if you are going to be hunting or you may miss the opportunity for the shot.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:20 am

hawcer wrote:one other note...and this goes for all AR's. as far as scope rings go...the "high" rings are still a tad too low for comfort and a quick sight picture. You are going to need a scope rail riser,especially if you are going to be hunting or you may miss the opportunity for the shot.

I have to agree with this. On my Grendel, my scope has great clearance, however, I am literally having to use the stock as a pillow so to speak in order to get a good site picture. While wearing ear protection, it makes it even harder.
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RemMan700 Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:01 pm

You need rings that are 1.5" from top of rail to center of ring for the proper height (especially if you have an A2 front sight). I find it much easier to just buy a one piece scope ring/mount. I really like the Burris AR-P.E.P.R. mount for the money. It is solid and you can pull it off and put it back on without really any change in POI.
RemMan700
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Hughie Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:20 pm

ok thanks again learning more about the AR these things are good to know so I dont have to buy a bunch of stuff i wont use or dont like thanks guys. Very Happy
Hughie
Hughie

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:46 am

While there may be three major players, there are a ton of little shops out there cranking out AR lowers as well as complete guns.

Owning a few myself and having dragged one M16 varient or another around for a number of years in the Army, I am pretty familiar with the AR platform.

I'd save my money up and buy the best parts you can afford and then either have a shop like Enterprise Arms or another put it together for you if you lack the savvy.

AR's are not hard to put together, Shot Gun News ran a series on how to make your own that was pretty good a few years ago.

If you haunt some of the DIY AR15 forums they are full of good (and bad) info on how to build your own. Some adventerous guys buy moldings or 80% finished lowers and finish themselves using a drill press and a few hand tools.

Steve
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by 2005ghostrider Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:25 am

I just got done mounting the scope on the RRA I built. Here's the mount I used and for $50 shipped I couldn't find a set of rings or any riser+rings for any where close to the $50. It is very well built and is the perfect height for the ar-15.

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=385

2005ghostrider

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:17 pm

I just got a Warne RAMP 1-Piece extended AR-15 scope mount and one of those Nikon .223 600 BDC scopes to fool with for my old flat top Bushy.

I have not mounted it yet - I still have a cheap Chinese or Taiwan clone of an Aimpoint MR2 4 MOA red dot scope. Its not a bad little POS and I can hit the 300 yard gong at will with it. Not bad for under $100 off FleaBay.

I intend to put the Warne mount on it with the Nikon scope and a Burris FastFire II 4MOA Red Dot Reflex Sight (part #300232) on the right side 45 degree mount. Budget a bit tight right now, so have to wait a bit before I can afford the Burris sight.

Might put something on the other side one of these days, but I am more of a minimalist, & do not like a lot of crap hanging on my AR15. Tends to grab every sticker bush & wait-a-minute vine out there.

I intend to use the Bushy for some fun spot & stalk 'yote hunting, although I use another for most of my 'yote hunting. I always hunt 'yote with a partner, & we usually use opposite guns. I.E. - if I am totin a rifle my partner brings at least a 20 ga stoked with a good 'yote bustin load.

Steve

Last edited by scorge30 on Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spell check stupid - doh!)
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:15 pm

+1 for anything Warne. I have their extra-high or ultra-high whatever they were "Tactical" rings on my AR.
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by badjeep02 Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:20 pm

Nice Steve. I’m debating if I should mount a scope on my bushy’s carry handle or remove it and mount it on the rail. The barrel isn’t free floated so I’m not sure if it will make much of a difference at 100-150 yards.
badjeep02
badjeep02

Back to top Go down

Post by RemMan700 Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:59 pm

badjeep02 wrote:Nice Steve. I’m debating if I should mount a scope on my bushy’s carry handle or remove it and mount it on the rail. The barrel isn’t free floated so I’m not sure if it will make much of a difference at 100-150 yards.

You will want to mount on the rail. If you mount on the carry handle it will be super high.
RemMan700
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:53 pm

RemMan is correct. I have shot a few A1s with carry handle-mounted optics and they are really high. Forget cheek weld.

However they are good for halo or red dot sights and good for point shooting close range.

My Bushy is not free floated either, and I have not really noticed much of a difference out to about 300 yards or so. Past 300 yards out to about 1,000 yards, a free floated barrel makes a big difference for accuracy.

Of course I am assuming that you have a quality barrel, free floating a POS barrel, or one that is worn out (get a good ol' US Army throat erosion gauge and learn how to use it) will not make a poor barrel shoot better.

Nothing beats practice though and even a few rounds every week or so makes a big difference. Most shooting sports are muscle memory, and repetitive process helps keep those skills sharp.

My recommendation would be to get either a dedicated upper or at least a .22 LR conversion kit so that you can practice cheaper for a long time, rather than burning up a lot of money and expensive ammo.

I have both a dedicated upper and a Spike's Tactical conversion kit and both work quite well. My dedicated upper is not match grade, but shoots about as well as any average .22 LR.

I really like the Spike's Tactical kit and my wife made a real nice little bag for me to keep my BCGs in when I swap out the BCG for the .22 conversion or swap back in the 5.56 BCG. Keeps the oily and messy .22 kit from getting grease and crap all over everything else. When the bag gets really oily and dirty I toss it in the laundry with a good squirt of Dawn dish soap and it comes out nice and clean.

Steve
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by Hughie Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:54 pm

Man I really like the adjustable stocks on the AR feels real good looks good to IMO . tried the A2 stock non adjustable I think thats right A2 it feels kind of short to me Neutral not as good of feel .Sights oh man not even sure on that think i want just a flat top with a good scope & mounts . Looked thru some with just open sights or what ever they are called. peeped thru a Halo sight?? Think thats what it was called red dots green dots my my so much to chose from cyclops Think I need to just set it up for my hunts Ill be lucky if i get a 200yd shot on a deer wher i hunt soooooo. then on the other hand what if i do make it to a field thats open to hunt still thinking LOL Very Happy
Hughie
Hughie

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:31 pm

Hughie, when do you want me to bring mine up for you to actually shoot and see what you think? LOL

Give me some notice so I can make sure the kids are looked after, make it on a school day I can meet you in the am, and be sure to give me a day or 2 to load up some rounds. I will load up enough to get you hooked as I have shot mine many times already LOL...

I have the Eotech scope on the Stag and the Center Point scope on the Grendel...
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:02 pm

I like the adjustable stocks for the flexibility when you are wearing heavy, thick hunting clothing. Being able to shorten the rifle, to compensate for my parka, or my heavy insulated overalls, sure makes it nice.

My wife is quite short (barely 5') so being able to shoot the AR at full length for me and shorten for her is nice.

Nice thing about the halo and red dot sights is I do not usually have to adjust the scope for the wife and can leave it set where it is when she wants to shoot the AR.

My other ARs with scopes are a tad difficult for her to shoot as the scope on them is not set for her, and she has a hard time seeing through the scope clearly.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by Hughie Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:20 am

all right Ill let you know .I PM you to Daywalker taz Man I looked at those mounts on the rockriver web site man those look nice Cool
Hughie
Hughie

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:37 am

I really like the LaRue mounts as well and it is nice they have package deals with Leupold scopes.

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Categories.bok?category=Optic+and+Mount+Combos
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by Hughie Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:57 am

WOW those optics are way out of reach for me scorge hell they cost affraid more than the gun i want No
Hughie
Hughie

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:24 am

Yeah the prices are OMFG!! high but LaRue makes some really good mounts.

The average Joe does not really need such expensive and over-engineered mounts and optics, but they are really nice if you have the coin.

If I was taking my AR into combat (damn zombies!) I would think of using the LaRue mounts, but there are certainly cheaper mounts and optics that will serve the average guy just as well.

I have the Warne RAMP mount that I mentioned but do not have it mounted yet. It is a much cheaper mount but appears to be just as good as any other mount so far.

I have a cheap POS Chinese Aim Point clone on my Bushy now and it has served me remarkably well. Much better than I expected and I have abused it a bit riding around on feral hog patrol, and have dragged it through some nasty Northwest blackberry thickets (the kudzu of the Pacific Northwest) chasing marmot, nutria, and coyote.

Several guys I shoot with have various halo sights many of them cheap Chinese clones of various optics such as Vortex, NCStar, Barska, and some others that I cannot remember right now.

While I like the Trijicons and used them in the Army, I think there are better optics for the money with more flexibility. The EOTechs are nice and have a real good reputation. They are great for quick shots, and I have seen skilled marksman hit running insurgents at better than 300 yards using one.

I believe the average fellow will get along just fine with about any brand of optics. I do not believe in "pimping" my AR15 and it is not an extension of my penis, so I am not worried about flashing how much money I dumped into my gun to impress the guys.

I have seen people in competition with everything top of the dollar stuck on their gun, it does not make up for a poor marksman (or woman) and a lack of practice and training.

Just because you put $15k or the GNP of a small 3rd world nation into your gun does not guarentee that you are going to smoke the kid with the $200 rifle from Wallmart with some $50 scope stuck on it.

When I shot a lot of F class rifle competition, I used to see every now and then someone walking around flaunting how much $ they dumped in their gun and then watch a kid with an off-the-shelf rifle from Wallmart, Cabelas, or Bass Pro, maybe not win the match but shoot much better.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by RemMan700 Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:06 am

I have both the Rock River scope mount and the Burris AR-P.E.P.R mount and both are good to go. I prefer the Burris mount though.
RemMan700
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum