Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

.270 Problems

+3
CMAsailor
RemMan700
Daywalker
7 posters

Go down

.270 Problems Empty .270 Problems

Post by Daywalker Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:04 pm

Ok guys here is the skinny. I have a remington model 700 adl. Now shooting the 130 grain BT, back in the day with IMR 4350, I got some decent groups. I ran out of bullets back in the day and never did get back to developing the load for it. I have let the .270 sit on the back burner for a while. While thinking about it last night, I remembered that Remington had 2 small pressure points on the front of their stocks that touched the barrel. The rest of the black synthetic stock was free floating. In my effort to have a fully free floating barrel, I sanded those 2 little nubs off and have not gotten to shoot them yet.

So any how to my problem at hand. I was given by remman700 some time ago around 1k Remington 130 grain bullets. Appears to be cor loks. I have tried to develop one load using Varget from start to max. I did not have one group worth bragging about. I had a spread of holes like you would not believe. So I thought to myself, Varget and Remington bullets no good. Friday, I went back to the range to shoot the Remington bullets using IMR 4350. Start to max. Same thing. Not one single group to go home and tell your momma about. I do have one more type of powder on hand to try, IMR 4895.

Before I go and waste any more powder, what could possibly be wrong at this point? I did have some 130 Noslers that I had found that were loaded with Varget of I believe 44.5 grains. I shot those and the groups weren't as good as I expected. Now, the combine technology 130 grainers, Varget same load of what I remember to be correct 44.5, very nice little group with one flyer. However, I do not have anymore to confirm that 5 shot group.

So, what I have done thus far, I have made sure that all bolts on the rifle were tight. The stock, action, and whatever else I could find. I made sure the scope was tightend as well. Not the best scope, a bushnell 3-9x40. Would this rifle be a candidate for a bedding job? Maybe a new stock? I am at a lost at this point.

I do not expect the Remington bullets to be the best out there, however, surely they have to shoot better than this. If not, then they would not be able to sell bullets as no one would ever buy them. I am not asking for a one hole group, I am just asking for a nice group that will get the job done on deer. I don't want one bullet to hit at one point and then having to take a follow up shop if need be, the other bullet being way off to the other side or up or too far down. Make any sense?

Thanks
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

.270 Problems Empty Re: .270 Problems

Post by RemMan700 Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:58 am

Sometimes sanding the pads on those stocks is hit or miss. I hear a lot of people say their rifle shot better with the pressure pads. You might want to eventually see if you could find a stock for sale on Ebay.
RemMan700
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by CMAsailor Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:34 pm

1. glass bedding shouldn't hurt if it's done right
2. I've never had a Bushnell, and can only attest to new loopies or older red-fields as being worth a shit cause Simmons didn't work out for me. anymore i just buy a 300dollar loopy and never have a problem.
3. maybe you're doing too much at once. only shoot one or two loads at a time and really take your time. watch food consumption, anything with sugar or caffeine hurts groups, proven fact, don't care what you may think it does to calm you.
4. shooting groups from a 22 in between larger calibers helps with the flinch when you're tired from shooting so much cause of whatever
5. Relax, it's just a damn gun anyway, LOL i know the hardest part of all of it but relax bud. maybe they all tighten up again. maybe they don't. try one thing at a time doing more than one change at a time means you cant tell what the factors at play are.
CMAsailor
CMAsailor

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:53 pm

I wonder what kind of groups you would get with factory Remington Express ammo with the same 130gr bullet. I know I said a few bad words in that last sentence....but testing a box of the factory ammo might clue you in to where your problem may be... the gun, the scope or the load. If it shoots well with factory ammo, then you need to work some more on your load. If not, I'd try another scope before condemning the rifle.

Then again...you gun just might not like that bullet very much.

And CMAsailer is correct....what food or "drug" you have in your system will play havoc on your groups.
I can't shoot for sh*t in the morning after loading up on coffee and I can't shoot for sh*t in the afternoon unless I have had a good lunch.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:05 pm

yea I am now going back to where the last load I had and starting all over again. I just bought a new scope. Since I have great results out of the center point for the grendel, I now have on on the .270. Ordered me some Nosler BT 130 grain. Will try again with varget and back to imr 4350. If I don't get anything good this time, especially out of my once proven imr 4350, then glass bedding it is. I may just buy a wooden stock that I want first then bed that...
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CMAsailor Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:41 pm

Rodger dodger keep us updated Cool
CMAsailor
CMAsailor

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:25 pm

I agree with Sailor and Hawcer both. Too many variables that could be wrong all at once, and any given one could be the culprit or a combo of 2 or more.
Hawcer had a good suggestion of trying some factory ammo, and if it shoots good groups then you know it's not the scope or the rifle.
If it doesn't group then you don't need to doubt the rounds your shooting, but start looking at the scope and rifle. If you got a new scope, then put that on and it will iliminate the scope factor. Then it's only down to one more thing........the rifle and stock.

If you get a different stock and intend to bed it, I would strongly suggest a woodie. But my BDL has a walnut stock and it's not bedded, so their may be no need to bed the stock unless you just want to? Mine shoots just fine like it's made from the factory, but I have heard of some guys having stock problems even with a woodie.
That's about all the advice I can offer until you can iliminate a variable or two, then we can narrow the problem down and maybe help you fix it.

Good Luck and keep us up to date.
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Moiecol Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:01 pm

270 Steven , IMR 4350 53.5 gr. Serria 130 gr. 1820 I started shooting in 2007 an later that year I started reloading ( tight budget ) lee classic loader, I started low to high and I had 6 shots / 100yds. 1-1/8 group. Bearing in mind I shake like a little earthquake and the first time I shot my group was 13" Now I figured I can do this I can only imagine what an experience shooter could do

Moiecol

Back to top Go down

Post by B W M Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:22 pm

I do not know about Remington but Savage has a inch pound setting on there stocks. So you need to get a hold of them and find out what they set there at. It did make a big different on my gun. Good Luck

B W M

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down