Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rubber gloves

+12
RemMan700
Mohunter
hawcer
dartfreak75
brreed82
Reload3006
Hughie
XbonesX
eagle60
Daywalker
RichBirdHunter
brow_tines
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Rubber gloves Empty Rubber gloves

Post by brow_tines Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:31 pm

Just wondering if any of ya'll wear rubber gloves while reloading or just go at it without hand protection. I have a couple of buddies one wears rubber gloves the other don't just wondering what the majority does.
brow_tines
brow_tines

Back to top Go down

Rubber gloves Empty Re: Rubber gloves

Post by RichBirdHunter Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:37 pm

Nope, but I don't touch much Powder or primers, you can wipe down the brass if you get your grubbie hands prints all over it.

RichBirdHunter
RichBirdHunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:51 pm

Na, I don't wear no gloves. I get messages sent to me from all the safety sallys out on youtube land saying that I should. I don't wear gloves when I load my magazines with the rounds that I load on the press.

At the same time, I don't eat while I reload and when I am done I wash my hands. Same with lead. I look at it like this. I don't wear gloves when I put my sinkers on my fishing line and I do eat while fishing.

That is just the way I look at it. Now I am not saying that safety is not important, it is, there is always a place for it...
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by eagle60 Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:28 pm

I don't wear gloves either. It may be the wrong thing to (not) do - not sure. I'm not in contact with the powder hardly at all and the same for the primers. If I'm fooling with lead it is generally outside but will wash my hands immediately after so as not to give it too much time to absorb into my hands. Everyone's system is a little different and may react differently to lead, powder and primers so I would say do what you are most comfortable with while balancing functionality with the safety .
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by RichBirdHunter Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:36 pm

Daywalker wrote:Na, I don't wear no gloves. I get messages sent to me from all the safety sallys out on youtube land saying that I should. I don't wear gloves when I load my magazines with the rounds that I load on the press.

At the same time, I don't eat while I reload and when I am done I wash my hands. Same with lead. I look at it like this. I don't wear gloves when I put my sinkers on my fishing line and I do eat while fishing.

That is just the way I look at it. Now I am not saying that safety is not important, it is, there is always a place for it...

Oh lead , living in Ca. I mostly load copper for rifle ( Barnes) and copper plated for pistol. I was thinking about contaminating the primers with natural body oil or something like that
RichBirdHunter
RichBirdHunter

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:42 pm

most of the time I don't, just make sure to wash my hands immediately afterwards. I generally wear gloves when I am cleaning the brass once it comes out of the tumbler/ultrasonic.

when I clean my guns I try and wear nitrile gloves because they hold up to the solvents. I'm more afraid of solvents then anything in reloading.
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:46 pm

RichBirdHunter wrote:
Daywalker wrote:Na, I don't wear no gloves. I get messages sent to me from all the safety sallys out on youtube land saying that I should. I don't wear gloves when I load my magazines with the rounds that I load on the press.

Oh lead , living in Ca. I mostly load copper for rifle ( Barnes) and copper plated for pistol. I was thinking about contaminating the primers with natural body oil or something like that

And that is another very good reason to think about as well. Oils in our hands may have an affect on things as well. Every once in a while, I do end up having to touch primers. They get dropped in the floor. I try to use tweasers as much as I can, however, often, there are times where using fingers just isn't avoidable...

Good point Rich...
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hughie Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:18 pm

Nope dont wear gloves reloading . But safty glasses should be worn I have had primers go off in front of me nothing hit me in the face .Blessed i guess but sum thing did hit the seat of my pants affraid
Hughie
Hughie

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:22 pm

nope dont wear no gloves ....
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by brreed82 Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:40 pm

I do only when im loading casted bullets coated w/ alox to keep it off my hands. I usually put masking tape on areas of the press i know will get alox on it.
brreed82
brreed82

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:05 am

no but its funny you should ask i was watching some youtube vids yesterday and i saw this guy wearing latex doctor gloves and i was like wth is that for lol?
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:13 am

If it hinders my work, I don't use it....and gloves do nothing for me except restrict my sense of touch and cause me to drop things.

only a girly man uses gloves inside the house,LOL Wink
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by RichBirdHunter Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:57 am

No rubber gloves just watch this about 3:30 min in you'll see why it's a bad idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX3ePAOUK7U
RichBirdHunter
RichBirdHunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:04 pm

Nope don't wear gloves. The only way you would get contaminated by lead through your skin or mucous membranes is if it's old lead that had the white lead dust on it. I usually throw those in the melting pot and get rid of them, then I have a fan blowing nearby and I don't put my head over top of the pot so I can smell the lead cooking. silent
Antis have the whole world scared to death that lead is somehow gonna kill you and that's just a farce. The only way it's going to kill you is if it's injected at extreme velocity. Shocked
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:33 pm

LMAO not to contradict you MO but High velocity Lead has proven fatal LMAO
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:51 pm

Yep.........Everything is alergic to lead at a few thousand feet per second! Cool
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by RemMan700 Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:17 pm

No gloves for me either.
RemMan700
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by badjeep02 Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:27 pm

I normally don’t wear gloves, but I have once or twice before. I’m so ashamed. Smile
badjeep02
badjeep02

Back to top Go down

Post by eagle60 Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:56 pm

now - now jeep, don't fret none over it. We all slip from time to time Embarassed
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by badjeep02 Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:04 pm

Yeah, but I’ve never worn safety glasses while reloading….and that actually makes good since.
badjeep02
badjeep02

Back to top Go down

Post by kcatto Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:32 pm

I do not wear gloves, or clothes, I even sprinkle lead on my food that I eat while at the bench, and I cast and smelt in a small room with no ventilation....Some times when my mouth is dry I suck on a small piece of lead slag.....

I always get my face real close to the primers when I am hammering them down into the primer tubes and I never wear safety glasses..... I figure I got two eyes.... so it is 50/50 I will keep at least one of them..... hopefully it is my aiming eye....

I have yet to meet this safety sally girl.....
kcatto
kcatto

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:49 pm

kcatto wrote:

I hear she is purdy LMAO
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by brow_tines Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:50 pm

kcatto wrote:I do not wear gloves, or clothes, I even sprinkle lead on my food that I eat while at the bench, and I cast and smelt in a small room with no ventilation....Some times when my mouth is dry I suck on a small piece of lead slag.....

I always get my face real close to the primers when I am hammering them down into the primer tubes and I never wear safety glasses..... I figure I got two eyes.... so it is 50/50 I will keep at least one of them..... hopefully it is my aiming eye....

too funny
brow_tines
brow_tines

Back to top Go down

Post by fletch_medic Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:05 pm

I'm sure the military vaccinated me agains lead along with the other couple thousand things I got shots for, so I don't wear gloves.
fletch_medic
fletch_medic

Back to top Go down

Post by DanRickard Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:41 pm

yea, i dont wear gloves either.. i didn't see the point.. unless your hands get full of lube, and you go crazy playing with yourself because of the lube.. there's no point.

i handle primers by hand all the time and have never had a case where i had a miss fire due to contaminated primers.
i also wipe down my brass before reloading them anyways.. so i pretty much remove as much of the lube as i can.

but i guess if your a newbie, and love lube.. you could contaminate a primer.. guess those newbies should read a speer reloading manual or two.

lol
Smile
dan
DanRickard
DanRickard

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum: