Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brining Meat

+5
Reload3006
Daywalker
RichBirdHunter
XbonesX
brreed82
9 posters

Go down

Brining Meat Empty Brining Meat

Post by brreed82 Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:49 pm

Does anyone brine their game before cooking. My last batch of ducks i let sit in a bag of mild salt water for 3 or 4 days. I changed out the water a couple of times. The first time i changed the water it was solid red, the last time it was nearly clear with a pinkish tent.

The meat seemed to taste a bit better than usual but i dont know if i let it sit for long enough or had enough salt in the water.

afro
brreed82
brreed82

Back to top Go down

Brining Meat Empty Re: Brining Meat

Post by XbonesX Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:38 pm

i always brine my meat, especially pork.

even fish I "brine" in milk
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by RichBirdHunter Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:39 pm

I think equal parts sugar to salt, basspro has some ready mixes. I have done a turkey, but I could not tell one from the other
RichBirdHunter
RichBirdHunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:51 pm

I do mine as well. I will take all the meat from the deer, put them in a cooler full of ice water and lots of salt. Let sit for 3 days changing the brine once a day.

The wife likes the deer much better now. She says alot of the gamieness is gone and the meat is much more tender...
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:24 pm

+1 for brine.. I try to always soak my game in salt water. before i cook it or freeze it for later use.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:35 am

Nope never. I will marinade just about anything if I want to achieve a certain flavor, but I never soak anything in salt water or any water at all unless I'm trying to thaw some out in a hurry.
You don't want to soak your venison in water unless you want to hydrate it because it soaks up anything like a sponge. If you soak it in water before trying to marinade it for jerky you won't get the flavor your looking for because it won't soak any of the marinade in, it's already full of water.
My fish don't soak in anything besides corn meal and hot grease! Cool
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:14 am

stupid question what is brining?? never heard of it so i guess iv never done it lol
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:46 am

dartfreak75 wrote:stupid question what is brining?? never heard of it so i guess iv never done it lol
there is only one stupid question Dart and that is the one not asked.
brining "Brine" is just soaking in salt water.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by RemMan700 Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:59 am

I dont ever brine my meats.
RemMan700
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:13 pm

Out of recognition for duck and goose hunters, I have heard that brining duck/goose breast takes out some of the strong flavor. Because some species can be quite over powering. A friend of ours who duck hunts gave me a woodie and a malard last year and I didn't soak them, I just cut the breast up into skewer sized chunks and marinaded them overnight in my own recipe. Then the next day I put them on skewers and grilled them.............Boy where they delicious!!
I didn't notice any strong or gamey flavor at all, just plain mouth watering good. Razz
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by sdsviper Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:48 pm

I brine most small game and fish but not deer. Over night up to 2-3 days changeing the brine every 24hr. workes well. Marinaded in dressing or seasoning will do wonders just don't over do it. Save the brine off of peppers, pickles or any other thing you like add spices and play with a recipe the worst you can do is ruin a batch just keep them small to start with.
:barri:
sdsviper
sdsviper

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:01 pm

Try this simple yet mouth watering little marinade/glaze next time you grill chicken, venison, pork, or duck/goose, or any other wild meat you would usually put on the grill.

Equal parts of Worchestershire Sauce and Honey. Marinade in it and use the rest as a glaze when you grill by brushing it on the meat to keep it from drying out. It's so good you will slap your Grandma! Shocked

Here's my own personal favorite and one of my home brewed concoctions.

Dale's Steak Seasoning Marinade
Liquid Hickory Smoke
Brown Sugar

This one is so good it'll make you kick your Dog! taz
:barri:
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:37 pm

both brining and marinating have their purposes. you wouldnt take a rifle duck hunting if you wanted any great deal of success.

brining is done to increase the moisture of the meat while marinating breaks down tissue (tenderizies) due to citris and/or vinegar and flavors.

Pros of Brining:
1. if you plan on freezing any game meat, brining will make it last longer and freeze better.
2. helps prevent meat from drying out while cooking.
3. removes (doesnt mask like marinating) "gamey" taste on certain animals and/or animals taken from areas such as swamps or sage brush who tend to have a taste to them, even on animals that are normally delicious.
4. most "gamey" meat is due to the testosterone in the blood that permiates the meat of male animals. brining removes this.
5. some people say brining also removes toxins in the meat. for example, pigs do not sweat therefore cannot release the toxins in their system like all other animals. milk supposidly removes mercury from fish.

Pros of marinating:
1. citris and/or vinegar breaks down the tissue (tenderizes) of the meat, which is a must for certain game meat.
2. helps seal in the moisture by carmelization on the outside due to the sugars.
3. flavors or spices the meat
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:32 pm

Reload3006 wrote:
dartfreak75 wrote:stupid question what is brining?? never heard of it so i guess iv never done it lol
there is only one stupid question Dart and that is the one not asked.
brining "Brine" is just soaking in salt water.
oh iv heard of that but never heard it called that we call that "soaking in salt water" lol j/k iv never done it!!
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:25 am

Most "Gamey" meat especially venison is from improper care after the animal hits the ground. If it's taken care of respectfully and put up within a certain time frame and never allowed to get too warm, it doesn't taste any stronger than beef or pork when prepared.
I've seen deer hanging in trees for at least a week even when the temp climbed into the upper 50's and lower 60's, you couldn't have forced me to eat any of that crap. Suspect

I love the taste of wild game and have never tried to remove that flavor. Afterall, if I wanted it to taste like beef or pork, I'd just go to the grocery store. That's why I chose to hunt and go out to get the good stuff myself.
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by RichBirdHunter Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:52 am

I gotta tell ya, I elk steak blood rare with a little pepper some mashed sweet potato and some creamed corn. No brine, no marinade just properly harvested meat and some kingsford. Now thats a good way to end the day.
RichBirdHunter
RichBirdHunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:33 am

RichBirdHunter wrote:I gotta tell ya, I elk steak blood rare with a little pepper some mashed sweet potato and some creamed corn. No brine, no marinade just properly harvested meat and some kingsford. Now thats a good way to end the day.
That's the way it was meant to be prepared. Of course I like my A1 and I get criticized for it, but I love the taste of A1 steak sauce. I don't use it to try and mask the flavor of a good steak, just as a compliment because if I don't have any A1 I can do just fine without it.
There's just something about grilling over charcoal that adds so much to the meat, gas isn't quite the same either........it's gotta be hardwood charcoal for me. Razz
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:36 am

a trick i use when grilling on a gas grill. (wish i could take credit for it but it wasnt my idea) cut you some green hickory and wrap them in aluminum foil. poke a few holes in it and put it on your lava rock. it will smoke and give your meat the charcoal flavor. I didnt believe it either. but was shown it works.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by sdsviper Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:17 am

Now I'm hungry. chicken
sdsviper
sdsviper

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:51 pm

sdsviper wrote:Now I'm hungry. chicken
The special at Granny Shafer's Restaurant tomorrow will be.......
10oz. T-bone with baked potato or home fries, side salad, Texas toast, and a drink for $14.95....... Very Happy
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by brreed82 Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:42 pm

Mohunter wrote:
sdsviper wrote:Now I'm hungry. chicken
The special at Granny Shafer's Restaurant tomorrow will be.......
10oz. T-bone with baked potato or home fries, side salad, Texas toast, and a drink for $14.95....... Very Happy

Thanks Mo, Twisted Evil had to work through lunch today, and dinners looking like a stop at some garbage fast food spot.

I'd punch a kitten for a steak dinner right now joke
brreed82
brreed82

Back to top Go down

Post by sdsviper Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:22 am

That would be a great deal. I'm thinking eggs,hash,buscuit & gravy and hashbrowns or French toast or maybe A hot beef sandwich.
Remember I do this for a living. LOL

[img]Brining Meat 101_3010[/img]
[img]Brining Meat 101_3011[/img]
[img]Brining Meat 101_3012[/img]
sdsviper
sdsviper

Back to top Go down

Post by RichBirdHunter Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:24 am

MMMMMMM, MMMMMMMMMM, MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, Now that's some stick to your ribs finger licking good food right there.
RichBirdHunter
RichBirdHunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:52 am

Oh dang it, you done gone and did it. I already have one plate of eggs and toast this morning, now i gots to go gets me some mo fo sho now.

In the famous words of my neighbor, infantryjohn, that right there will make you tounge smack your brain!!!

Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RemMan700 Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:55 am

Dang it.. First Pathfinders venison & pasta video gets me hungry and this just pushed me over the edge. I am going to have to go make something to eat. Razz
RemMan700
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum