Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Polygonal Rifling and Lead Bullets

5 posters

Go down

Polygonal Rifling and Lead Bullets Empty Polygonal Rifling and Lead Bullets

Post by Reload3006 Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:31 pm

There are several pistols out there that I have considered buying because I want a good CCW for myself and my wife. As most of you know I swage my own bullets But copper is expensive and it greatly adds to the cost of a bullet. following is a list of pistols i really want to think about getting myself and my wife When my piggy bank will allow me to. which at the recent rate of my spending may be a while. LOL

Smith and Wesson M&P
H&K USP
GLOCK either 17 or 21

I am a 1911 fan and havn't decided on what one if i get a 1911
any way I have found this article but still what do y'all think I sure don't know it all and don't necessarily mind taking a chance for myself but don't want to put my wife in any jeopardy.

Lead bullets and polygonal rifling
This section may contain original research. Please improve it by verifying the claims made and adding references. Statements consisting only of original research may be removed. More details may be available on the talk page. (September 2009)

The manufacturer Glock advises against using lead bullets (meaning bullets not covered by a copper jacket) in their polygonally rifled barrels, which has led to a widespread belief that polygonal rifling is not compatible with lead bullets. Firearms expert and barrel maker, the late Gale McMillan, has also commented that lead bullets and polygonal rifling are not a good mix. Some have made a point of the fact that neither H&K nor Kahr explicitly recommend against lead bullets in their polygonal rifled barrels, and feel that it is probable that there is an additional factor involved in Glock's warning. However, Kahr's FAQ does include a warning that lead bullets can cause additional fouling[7] and recommends special attention to cleaning after using them. In addition, while H&K doesn't warn against the use of lead, at least one well-documented catastrophic incident in an H&K pistol[8] may be related to this issue. Furthermore, Dave Spaulding, well-known gun writer, reported in the February/March 2008 issue of Handguns Magazine that when he queried H&K about their polygonally rifled barrels that they commented: "It has been their experience that polygonal rifling will foul with lead at a greater rate than will conventional rifling."

One suggestion of what the "additional factor involved in Glock's warning" might be is that Glock barrels have a fairly sharp transition between the chamber and the rifling, and this area is prone to lead buildup if lead bullets are used. This buildup may result in failures to fully return to battery, allowing the gun to fire with the case not fully supported by the chamber, leading to a potentially dangerous case failure. However, since this sharp transition is found on most autopistols this speculation is of limited value. The sharp transition or "lip" at the front of the chamber is required to "headspace" the cartridge in most autopistols.

Another possible explanation is that there are different "species" of polygonal rifle and perhaps Glock's peculiar style of polygonal rifling may be more prone to leading than the particular styles employed in the H&K and Kahr barrels.

Leading is the buildup of lead in the bore that happens in nearly all firearms firing high velocity lead bullets. This lead buildup must be cleaned out regularly, or the barrel will gradually become constricted resulting in higher than normal discharge pressures. In the extreme case, increased discharge pressures can result in a catastrophic incident.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Polygonal Rifling and Lead Bullets Empty Re: Polygonal Rifling and Lead Bullets

Post by eagle60 Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:22 pm

Having never owned or shot a poly barrel, this is my personal opinion only. Given the information in your post it seems that there must be at least some basis for the manufacturers advising not to use lead bullets in this type barrel. In the world of firearms there enough variables that could go wrong without introducing another. In your situation, I would lean away from the poly barrels if loading lead bullets only,if nothing else but to err on the side of safety - and not have to worry about that "what if" when it comes to loved ones. Again, just my opinion--
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by RemMan700 Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:57 pm

I have a Glock but have never shot lead through the barrel. I always heard that you can but must clean frequently. The barrel doesn't have an abrupt sharp edge at the beginning of the rifling. You have the edge of the chamber where the case mouth rests against. Then what I will call "free bore" where the barrel is smooth before you actually contact the beginning of the rifling. The transition to rifling actually starts very smooth and gentle. Below are some pics of the rifling of my Glock 27. I think if you go the Glock route and have to shoot lead then I would get a lone wolf barrel. Get a Glock 21 then get the 9mm conversion barrel to shoot your lead target loads and then reload plated and jacketed .45 when you want to shoot the factory barrel.

Polygonal Rifling and Lead Bullets 100_3982

Polygonal Rifling and Lead Bullets 100_3973

Polygonal Rifling and Lead Bullets 100_3972

Last edited by RemMan700 on Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
RemMan700
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:02 pm

WOW....great picks. You can actually see the polygonal rifling in a glock barrel. It is barely noticable in my Baby Eagle....
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:31 am

If it where me is get a ria 1911 officer its short and lighter than the gov and narrower than a flock and shoots the potaint 45 acp when ever money allows it will be my full time carry gun
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum