Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Homemade LNL Upgrade & Cleaning Rod Case

+6
hawcer
dartfreak75
RemMan700
RichBirdHunter
Daywalker
XbonesX
10 posters

Go down

Homemade LNL Upgrade & Cleaning Rod Case Empty Homemade LNL Upgrade & Cleaning Rod Case

Post by XbonesX Sat May 14, 2011 3:56 pm

I know there are several Hornady LNL owners on here so I thought I'd share a homemade LNL upgrade I made based upon Gavin at Ultimatereloader.com's "Modular Bullet Tray".
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Now Gavin has some nice stuff and he came up with a good idea, but I just can't justify spending $57 on it. I racked my head on how to make something similar and just didn't have any luck. If I had a welder it would be easy. Then one day while cleaning the garage I had an idea:

I took a shelf bracket that you can buy for about $5 at Lowes.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Then I took my Dremel and cut off the cross bar and bar hook. Place the back of the bracket against the front of your workbench, behind the press, so the arm is pointing at you and mark it where it will clear the linkage arm of the LNL. Take it off and using the corner of your bench or vise, bend the arm at another 90 degree angle. Place back against the front of the workbench and screw it in.

It works great and really does help speed up the loading process. There some spring effect in it since its not as solid as something like Gavin's, but for $5 who cares. Twisted Evil

Last edited by XbonesX on Sat May 14, 2011 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Homemade LNL Upgrade & Cleaning Rod Case Empty Homemade Cleaning Rod Case

Post by XbonesX Sat May 14, 2011 4:10 pm

Here is a cheap and simple case to protect your cleaning rods from scratching, breaking/bending, etc in the shop or while traveling to the range. Total costs is about $12 for 2 cases.

You will need:
(1) 10-12' 1.5" PVC pipe (might need a smaller or larger diameter depending on your rod handle)
(2) PVC Caps
(2) PVC Threaded Caps (or Cleanout Plugs)
(2) PVC Threaded Adapters (or Threaded Couplings)
Optional is PVC Primer and Glue, but they are not required and saves about $8.

Measure your cleaning rod, cut the PVC pipe to length, put a Cap on one end, the Adapter on the other and your done. You can either stick some foam, old towel, cotton in the cap to protect the rod tip or jag from getting dinged up.

XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Homemade LNL Upgrade & Cleaning Rod Case Empty Re: Homemade LNL Upgrade & Cleaning Rod Case

Post by XbonesX Sat May 14, 2011 4:15 pm

I forgot to say after cutting the PVC Pipe for both rods I had a small piece left over, and it was actually the perfect size for my chamber cleaning rod. However not having anticipated having enough pipe left over I didn't buy enough end caps.
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Homemade LNL Upgrade & Cleaning Rod Case Empty Re: Homemade LNL Upgrade & Cleaning Rod Case

Post by Daywalker Sat May 14, 2011 4:20 pm

Nice!! Tips and tricks for our needs. Thanks XbonesX. Will tuck this away cause soon I will be getting a full length cleaning rod. Something a little better than the small metal ones I have...
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Sat May 14, 2011 4:25 pm

that is pretty slick... I have been looking at his bullet tray myself. Seems this is a nice alternative and easy to make.
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RichBirdHunter Sat May 14, 2011 4:28 pm

I have Gavins but yours is nice and 10% of the cost of his, now take it apart and paint it red
RichBirdHunter
RichBirdHunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Sat May 14, 2011 4:35 pm

Speaking with XbonesX and making sure he was ok with it, I merged both his topics together and made this into a sticky. Be a good place for all to share what they have made themselves to aid into reloading and shooting that much easier and nicer..

Lets see some of everyones creations (of those that would like to share)
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RichBirdHunter Sun May 15, 2011 7:47 pm

RichBirdHunter wrote:I have Gavins but yours is nice and 10% of the cost of his, now take it apart and paint it red

I also have the handle too!! It's even better then the bullet holder
RichBirdHunter
RichBirdHunter

Back to top Go down

Post by RemMan700 Sun May 15, 2011 8:07 pm

Cool tips!
RemMan700
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Sun May 15, 2011 8:56 pm

nice thats some good ideas there!! i dont have a LNL but i like that bullet holder i might make one of them myself be alot faster than digging through a box trying to get one out!
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Mon May 16, 2011 12:07 am

The rod holder you made, I wonder if a man could adapt that to carry a fishing rod and reel and put a strap on it to carry across his back if he is only using one and walking to a fishing hole?

The more I look at that, the more I like it.

I looked at walmart last night for that type of hanger as I will need something like that for my LnL as well as my dillon's......

Where did you pick those hanger up?
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Mon May 16, 2011 2:10 am

Actually I already have a plan for a carry strap and hopefully will have it posted next weekend. I am also working on a wall storage solution. If anybody has any ideas please let me know.

Fishing rods would work fine, only drawback is not having the reel on it, but would probably be great for boat setup and storage. It would also work great for plane travel if your going on a fishing trip. I was also thinking for traditional bow storage, but it might get to be too heavy once you get up into a wider diameter PVC pipe. A couple years ago my father and I went on a bow hunting trip and he needed something to keep it protected and we bought a fishing rod holder that was basicaly the same thing.

The hangers I got at Lowes, should be about $4-5, they are sold as Shelf Brackets. If you can't find any, I wonder if a piece of flat bar would work? Might be sold too thick though, plus you would have to drill holes for screws.

XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by RemMan700 Mon May 16, 2011 8:12 am

I think I might adapt your pvc project into an arrow tube.
RemMan700
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Mon May 16, 2011 12:00 pm

Neat ideas bones....That's using the old noodle Smile
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Mon May 16, 2011 12:25 pm

PVC pipe is great stuff ... I have made Deer/Turkey feeders with them Get the large 4" + pipe wire it to a tree setting the bottom up from the ground slightly fill it up with corn or chopped corn. put a cap on it You have a feeder. I also have used the big stuff for fishing rod storage containers.
I have made a boat tie up stand off using pvc pipe I will have to take pics and show it its hard to explain.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Mon May 16, 2011 1:10 pm

I forgot about the feeders, thats what my family now uses too at the farm. The hogs do sometimes destroy them but they are cheap to make and replace.
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by M./Karb. Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:57 pm

Thats a really good bracket mod. idea you came up with.

M./Karb.

Back to top Go down

Post by kcatto Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:17 am

sweet mods....
kcatto
kcatto

Back to top Go down

Post by tripples Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:53 pm

I'm not sure how I missed this. I actually did something similar but with a piece of aluminum from lowes. Its about 2" wide x 1/16" thick and 18 to 24" Long. I bent it in a J shape and fastened it to my bench using some washers on the back side to space it away from the bench to hang other trays to the left of the loaded round bin. Right now I am currently using it to hang a larger tray for cases to feed the LNL until I bite the bullet and buy the case feeder.
The only down side to the aluminum is it is a little springy without any support, but it serves the purpose. It sure beats the plastic hanger that comes with the plastic bins.

Tripples

tripples

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down