Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Preferred Brass?

+5
eagle60
Daywalker
RemMan700
Reload3006
hawcer
9 posters

Go down

What is the preferred brass for your handloads?

Preferred Brass? I_vote_lcap10%Preferred Brass? I_vote_rcap 10% 
[ 3 ]
Preferred Brass? I_vote_lcap16%Preferred Brass? I_vote_rcap 16% 
[ 5 ]
Preferred Brass? I_vote_lcap13%Preferred Brass? I_vote_rcap 13% 
[ 4 ]
Preferred Brass? I_vote_lcap3%Preferred Brass? I_vote_rcap 3% 
[ 1 ]
[ 1 ]
[ 1 ]
[ 1 ]
[ 1 ]
Preferred Brass? I_vote_lcap10%Preferred Brass? I_vote_rcap 10% 
[ 3 ]
Preferred Brass? I_vote_lcap35%Preferred Brass? I_vote_rcap 35% 
[ 11 ]

Total Votes : 31

Preferred Brass? Empty Preferred Brass?

Post by hawcer Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:04 am

What is your favorite brass to use and why? Multiple choice allowed for obvious reasons.

I prefer Winchester brass for my pistol cartridges and Hornady and hand select surplus brass for my rifles.

The Winchester brass seems to clean up better and out lives most other brass I've used. So far I get my best groups with Hornady brass and LC and some others Mil surp brass that have been worked over to near perfection.

In some cases...whatever I can get my hands on. 7.62x39 comes to mind and my 44 mag cases are a mixed bag of whatever I have.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Preferred Brass? Empty Re: Preferred Brass?

Post by Reload3006 Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:14 am

I know I am going to get beat up on this one pretty hard. I suppose if I shot a lot of Matches I might have a differnet attitude too. SO I am not putting anyone down. At all. But for my purposes what ever I can get my hands on is good brass and shoots just as good as any other. I Only have one gun that could even remotely be considered anywhere near match quality and that would be my Savage MD12 but even it isn't truly match quality. I know that maybe all the anal things we do with brass is supposed to make a huge difference But in my Experience It doesn't at least not one that can be statistically proven. So I do my steps and in a lot I may shoot a Smith & Wesson case a Federal case a WW case a Rem case .. It all goes bang and usually I get at least moa ...LOL your mileage may vary.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by RemMan700 Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:18 am

I prefer Remington for .223 because Winchester primer pockets seem to loosen up big time after the first firing, and that is with a minimum charge. I have not had this problem with my .308 brass though. Pistol brass, I have been using a lot of Federal and not had any issues.
RemMan700
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:27 am

no beating up anybody over brass choice here...I've done my fair share of mixed brass loadings and will continue to do so.

I've noticed that some brass is just more user friendly...fits not too sloppy or not too tight in the shell holder, the primer pockets are more uniform, less tendency to split,etc...
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:32 am

RemMan700 wrote:I prefer Remington for .223 because Winchester primer pockets seem to loosen up big time after the first firing, and that is with a minimum charge. I have not had this problem with my .308 brass though. Pistol brass, I have been using a lot of Federal and not had any issues.

Excellent response...See ,this is something I or someone else might not EVER notice, since I have never purchased new unfired winchester or remington 223 cases. I can only compare my once fired...
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:41 am

when I buy new lol I buy Remington because normally they are a couple dollars cheaper.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:09 am

Any brass I can get my hands on. If it is at the range and laying on the ground, free and the caliber I shoot (or not) then it is the perfect brass for the job.

I don't do any match shooting or benchrest shooting. Heck, I am not that good a shot to even worry about brass selection......
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by eagle60 Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:12 pm

Yup, if I can get my hands on it and it is good enough to load, that is what I use. I use a log of Remington and Winchester because, as Reload stated, it is a little cheaper, but I don't buy much brass. If I can't use one because of splits, etc. it gets tossed into a bucket that will eventually be melted down into a paper weight or something.
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:50 pm

sure I'd prefer Lapua or Norma but money just doesn't allow for that, so whatever is free leaning towards Winchester.
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:16 pm

are you guys telling me there is diff brands. hell all this time i just thought there there was one FREE
Travis
Travis

Back to top Go down

Post by george457d Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:53 am

Nickle plated Starline is pretty ,I use it when I'm feeding Mabel ( my 45-70) some hand loaded Hornady FTX ... Cases have been trimmed down an extra .010 as per Hornady spec. ... The other brass I use for the flat nose projectile's ... It makes for easy and reliable sorting Press
george457d
george457d

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:59 am

question regarding Federal 223 brass:

The general consensus is that Federal 223 brass sucks(so I've been told and read multiple times, but have never used myself). But Lake City brass is really good once you do all the prep work to them. Isn't Federal and Lake City the same company? How can they produce brass that ends up on opposite sides of the spectrum for basically the same caliber? I know there is a difference in commercial and military/nato brass...but is there more to it than that?

I must be missing something....

Can anyone tell me why Federal rifle brass isn't as good as others to reload with?
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:49 am

I have a lot of Federal .223 its crimped just like Lake City.... I swage the crimp out and it shoots just as good as any of the other stuff I have.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:22 am

i've never had any problem with Federal 223 brass either. only difference i know of is case wall thickness and crimp.
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:23 am

iv shot different kinds in rifle and pistol never could tell the diference so what ever i can get!
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down