Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Universal Decappers

+4
XbonesX
eagle60
hawcer
brow_tines
8 posters

Go down

How many of you use universal decappers

Universal Decappers I_vote_lcap44%Universal Decappers I_vote_rcap 44% 
[ 7 ]
Universal Decappers I_vote_lcap31%Universal Decappers I_vote_rcap 31% 
[ 5 ]
Universal Decappers I_vote_lcap19%Universal Decappers I_vote_rcap 19% 
[ 3 ]
Universal Decappers I_vote_lcap6%Universal Decappers I_vote_rcap 6% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 16

Universal Decappers Empty Universal Decappers

Post by brow_tines Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:22 pm

How many use one?
brow_tines
brow_tines

Back to top Go down

Universal Decappers Empty Re: Universal Decappers

Post by hawcer Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:29 pm

I use my Lee decapper all the time. It is not a must, but it does come in handy.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by eagle60 Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:55 pm

I use the Lee sizing/decapping die in the die sets - unless I break the decapping pin. Then I use a small punch to push them out with Smile
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:29 pm

My decapper is the only piece of Lee equipment I still use. Lee Decapper on a Hornady LNL with case feeder gets em ready in no time.
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by EdgarEg Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:51 pm

eagle60 wrote:I use the Lee sizing/decapping die in the die sets - unless I break the decapping pin. Then I use a small punch to push them out with Smile
But I thought the Lee decapper was supposed to NEVER break. The spindle just slides up instead. No?
EdgarEg
EdgarEg

Back to top Go down

Post by eagle60 Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:41 pm

LOL, yeah Smile The only time I've had one break is when some intellegent individual crammed a BC powder wrapper down inside a 30-06 case that I picked up somewhere. I made the mistake of not checking each case for such items and I guess it moved it sideways just enough to break it. I guess it wasn't Lees fault for my oversight jocolor I would imagine that the collet was a little too tight also (don't know how that happened ) ---
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:14 am

They break...I have broken 3 of those "non-breakable" decapping pins. One of these days I'll learn not to mess with Berdan primed cases,LOL
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by RemMan700 Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:52 am

EdgarEg wrote:
eagle60 wrote:I use the Lee sizing/decapping die in the die sets - unless I break the decapping pin. Then I use a small punch to push them out with Smile
But I thought the Lee decapper was supposed to NEVER break. The spindle just slides up instead. No?

I broke one but lee replaced it.
RemMan700
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:09 pm

I too have broken Lee decapping pins. But because mine are modified with a hole through the pin and the collet with a 3/32 roll pin shoved through.

It helps with decapping mil surp 5.56 and 7.62, but I snap one every now and then because of the cussed Berdan primed hulls. My wife has come to know the sound of the shattering pin by ear. I keep about 5 or so spares on hand.

I used to have a Dillon 550. Three of the tool heads I had set up for resizing mil surp 5.56 NATO, 7.62x51 NATO and 7.62x63.

Using a Lee universal decapping in position #1, and a Dillon powered carbide trimmer in position #2 I could crank through a 55 gal drum of mil surp brass in no time.

This guy has a very similar set up except on a Dillon 650:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dUI9Zx96oA&feature=colike

Expensive as all hell, and the wife hated the noise of the shop vac and the trimmer running. She hated that noise about as much as she hates the brass tumbler under the kitchen counter!

Since I had to sell most of my reloading stuff when I got laid off, I am back to single stage city, and my Lee uni decapper does not get used much now.

About the only time it gets used now is when I am forming wildcats from fired 30-30. I have custom made Lee case length gages from the Lee Custom Shop for my 30 Herrett, 357 Herrett, and 7mm International Rimmed all made from 30-30.

For those of you unfamiliar with the Lee case length gages they work through the primer pocket so you need to decap the case before they will work.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by nicholst55 Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:04 am

I broke one trying to decap a piece of .308 brass that turned out to have a .22LR case inside it.
nicholst55
nicholst55

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down