Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

pains of ordering parts

3 posters

Go down

pains of ordering parts Empty pains of ordering parts

Post by tripples Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:56 pm

I recently tried looking to buy an upper receiver for another AR-15 build. I have picked one out but its not in stock, and a 4 to 6 week backorder. Another company has one in stock but wants over $100.00 more.

So I decided to place the order from DS Arms and sit and wait the 4 to 6 weeks. I guess in the meantime I can go ahead and order the rest of the parts I want to complete the build and hope they all match up.

Can anyone give me some suggestions on what to buy and where to buy them?

I am putting together a 16" midlength ar-15, I will be putting a Miculek compensator on it, but want to put a free float hand guard, and folding sights. I will also need a rail gas block. And possibly a timney trigger.

I'm looking for good parts but do not want to refinance the house.
Any input would be greatly appreciated, and if you feel like stating why to help with my decision that would be great as well.

Tripples

tripples

Back to top Go down

pains of ordering parts Empty Re: pains of ordering parts

Post by XbonesX Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:09 pm

Let me know how you like the DA Arms. I've been considering buying one for a couple years now. Made in the USA and Great prices.

For hand guards I only go with Yankee Hill, expensive but nice. There wait time can be 4-6 weeks as well. Look for their stuff at Cheaper Than Dirt or on sale at Midway.

Folding sights I would go with the Magpul BUIS 2, and I get them at aimsurplus.com

I love my Timney Trigger I bought for my AR. Very easy to install, works very well. I did have 3/10 failure to fire when I first installed it, but I was using CCI milspec primers. I've gone back to Federals and haven't had a problem. I bought mine on sale for $180 at Midway.
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:10 pm

It seems the election coming up is causing a ammo and AR buying panic....
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by tripples Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:08 am

Well I just ordered a Yankee hill mfg. free float hand guard. Believe it or not it was in stock and on close out. I may have been able to get it a few bucks cheaper but it was in stock so I ordered it.

Now the compensator is on backorder from midway and brownells. I have a few other places to try but I ran out of time before I had to leave.

I will be looking into the magpul buis 2 sights.

What about the gas block? Any recommendations?

The timney trigger may have to wait. I would like one but that is not a necessity.

Thanks again
Tripples

tripples

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:15 am

If you are wanting back-up sights, Why not get a flip-up sight front gas block?

For just a rail only gas block, I prefer these...or this type.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by tripples Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:08 pm

XbonesX wrote:Let me know how you like the DA Arms. I've been considering buying one for a couple years now. Made in the USA and Great prices.

For hand guards I only go with Yankee Hill, expensive but nice. There wait time can be 4-6 weeks as well. Look for their stuff at Cheaper Than Dirt or on sale at Midway.

Folding sights I would go with the Magpul BUIS 2, and I get them at aimsurplus.com

I love my Timney Trigger I bought for my AR. Very easy to install, works very well. I did have 3/10 failure to fire when I first installed it, but I was using CCI milspec primers. I've gone back to Federals and haven't had a problem. I bought mine on sale for $180 at Midway.

So far DS Arms is not on my list of favorites. I have called them several times to check the status and here is what I got.

4 weeks- sorry sir, we are waiting for parts for the forward assist. We just got confirmation that we will have them this week. They should be shipping out in the next 2 weeks.

6 weeks- sorry sir we are currently working to get them assembled and shipped out, (i ask when I can expect you to contact me about shipping my order) you should be contacted next week.

7.5 weeks- we are in the process of filling all the backorders as we speak. (i ask roughly how long are we looking at till you get to me) I'm going to tell you less than 2 weeks.

9 weeks- I called today and asked about my order. I'm now told they are waiting for the fluted barrels. And i am lookng at several weeks, at least 3 to 5. I say WOW I've been waiting a lot longer than the original 4 to 6 you quoted me.

I'm not going to call them again about it, if and when they ever decide to come through I may still buy it. But in the meantime I will be looking elsewhere. I will probably pay more but hopefully I will get it sometime before I'm that old I'll need a walker.

tripples

Back to top Go down

Post by tripples Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:31 pm

Well i just ordered another 16" mid length, I should have it by the middle of next week.

So if DS Arms comes through its now a conditional buy. The conditions are if they will ship it for free, and I have the extra money sitting around.

I hate getting jerked around. When I want to buy something I have no problem waiting to get it, but don't tell me it will be about x number of weeks and weeks turn into months. If your going to jerk me *** "around" at least don't hold your thumb over the end of it if you know what I mean.

tripples

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down