Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Line boring scope rings

3 posters

Go down

Line boring scope rings Empty Line boring scope rings

Post by scorge30 Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:03 pm

Here is something for those of you like me that like to shoot the hand cannons.

By line boring the scope rings you take out the little inconsistancies between the rings. Especially handy on hard-kicking barrels or for multiple rings. This prevents the scope from being twisted either in the rings or by recoil.

The 1" line reamer is about $60 from most of the supply houses, like Midway and Brownell's.

Line boring scope rings Img_3212

Line boring scope rings Img_3213
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Line boring scope rings Empty Re: Line boring scope rings

Post by XbonesX Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:05 pm

is there any real difference in the end results between line boring and lapping from say the Wheeler Engineering setup?

that's what I have but haven't dared lap $100 rings, so I've been gathering some free and cheap quality rings to test on first.
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:15 pm

Sometimes lapping can actually wallow out the rings if you are not really careful.

The Wheeler set is pretty good but you have to be careful not to lap your rings in a see saw method due to the handle being in the middle of the lapping tool.

The line boring set up is pretty soldier proof, but you have to careful not to get to animal with the tool. Most rings are aluminum and you can either rip the ring off the mount or bore them down to nothing.

You have to be careful to take a small amount of metal off as you gently and evenly tighten the scope rings.

The hard part is gradually tightening the rings down as you twist the tool to gradually remove a little material. This is not a quick or massive bore job and requires no oil as the tool is steel. You tighten the rings a little, turn the tool removing a little material and then check to see how the rings look.

With multiple rings like the Weaver sets, you will be amazed at how much material is removed from the three rings. This takes a lot of the imperfections out of the rings and nearly guarentee that they are straight.

One important thing is that once you either lap or line bore the rings, you must keep the rings together in sets not migrate parts. Using a tool like a FAT screwdriver helps keep the rings evenly torqued down as you twist the tool.

I turn mine with a crescent wrench, as you do not need a lot of force or speed.

After line boring I line the rings with masking tape before setting the scope in the rings. The masking tape helps prevent the rings from marking the scope and takes some of the slack out of loose rings if you were to vigorous with the boring or lapping. The tape also helps grasp the scope to keep it from slipping in the rings under heavy recoil.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by kcatto Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:08 am

I have never lapped my rings but I bought a new set of rings/mount for my 30-06 it is called the game reaper... mount and bottom rings are milled out of solid billet aluminum block..... I was skeptical at first but, I am a big believer in these now, very easy and super sweet setup.... rock solid...
kcatto
kcatto

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down