Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nikon M-223 Scope

5 posters

Go down

Nikon M-223 Scope Empty Nikon M-223 Scope

Post by XbonesX Thu May 17, 2012 12:24 pm

Does anyone have, or have you tried a Nikon M-223 scope? I am looking for something to put on my 20" HB 1:7" AR. The current scope I have is great at 100, but gets fuzzy at 200. What do you expect for $99.

My big question is, on the M-223 it has the BDC reticles for up to 600 yards, but that is with a 55gr bullet. I shoot 69gr. If I zero it out with the heavier bullet, do you think the BDC drop will still be correct w/ the scope or should I just go with something like a Nikoplex Reticle?
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Nikon M-223 Scope Empty Re: Nikon M-223 Scope

Post by hawcer Thu May 17, 2012 3:31 pm

The whole BDC thing is a guestimate to begin with...it might be scaled for a 55gr fmj Nato....but you also have to take account for barrel length and twist too...

It will be in the ballpark for hitting man sized targets...but I wouldn't expect any closer than that.

Range estimating/ mil dot scopes and knowing how your handloads perform at varying distances is a better option, imo.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Thu May 17, 2012 5:00 pm

I called Nikon and got someone who didn't seem that excited to be in the "Customer Service" department. Very flat affect and tone.

Anyways, he was somewhat helpful. He did confirm, like I thought, that yes it would change the POI. However, he did point me to their online software called "Spot On". [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The program is free if you sign up online, and $5 for Iphone/Android devices.

I can put in my data and it will give me a printable BDC chart. If I put in 69gr SMK with 3,000 FPS MV, at 16x magnification it states that I would have to have a 75 yard zero and that the last BDC Reticle would be for 565 yards. I liked how it was customizable for handloads and not just X Company's Y Product.

When I checked out the scope before the clarity seemed real nice, and I do want a side focus. The price is the same at Cabelas, OpticsPlanet and MidwayUSA, but at Cabelas I have $200 in club points saved up so I think I'll go buy it tonight or tomorrow so I can try and get it sighted in this weekend for a hopeful hunting trip over Memorial Weekend Rolling Eyes

XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by RichBirdHunter Thu May 17, 2012 5:13 pm

I have a bdc On my 22-250, and I love it! I can miss with clarity out to 500 yards. Bad shooter, good equipment
RichBirdHunter
RichBirdHunter

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Fri May 18, 2012 12:26 pm

well I pulled the trigger so to speak and bought it yesterday. The Leupolds did not have Side Focus until you got up into their $900+ models.

I bought the 3-12x42SF model since they didn't have the 4-16x in stock. I hope I won't need the extra power. Anyways, the BDC reticles are different than the Monarch series 3-12x & 4-16x models I looked at, they are much smaller. I think this will be a good thing for accuracy.

I spent 3+ hours last night trying to mount is as perfectly as I could. 3 different levels show its all level with the bore, but looking through it it looks a little canted. I torqued all the screws to spec I'm going to do some additional leveling techniques to truely check it.

My initial 2 complaints:
1. It is made in the Phillipines
2. It comes with a removable ARD Anti-Reflective Device [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] . The idiots in the Phillipines gave me a 30mm model for a 42mm scope. Now I have to get Nikon to send me a new one.
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Fri May 18, 2012 11:35 pm

The canted cross hairs will throw ya for a loop averytime...but if the level, shows level...you must be holding it canted.

I had the same problem when I put the scope on my Model 12. I leveled the receiver,then leveled the scope and tightened....put it to my shoulder and I swear it was canted. But when set on the bench using a bipod the cross hairs were level...so it was me causing the cant.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Sat May 19, 2012 2:09 am

I have the Nikon M-223 on my Bushy beater carbine and it is an OK scope.

Yes it is made in the PI so are a lot of the Burris scopes now made there.

While the Nikon program on my Android phone is OK and gets the job done, I much prefer a program called Strelok. It is free and updated regularly.

The Nikon scope is decent and tracks pretty well. It will keep you on a standard sil target with fair regularity.

For quick and dirty range estimation it is pretty good and with some practice not bad. Of course my wife calls me a scope snob, so maybe I am too picky.

I much prefer the Horus or the Shepherd systems, and even Leupolds is pretty decent for BDC hold over points.

The nice thing with the Horus and Shepherd systems is you do not have to fool with the scope just hold on the circle or line that fits the critter and shoot.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Sat May 19, 2012 9:41 am

I have not pulled the trigger yet on a Nikon.... I dont mind paying i am even considering a Leupold ..... I am getting tired of feeding scopes to my remmy 700 06 they last all of a month or two I dont know what it is about the recoil of that rifle but it eats scopes for lunch.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Sat May 19, 2012 10:01 am

Reload3006 wrote: I dont know what it is about the recoil of that rifle but it eats scopes for lunch.

Thats what I say about my Bushy 450....it eats Bushnells and poops Tascos
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Sat May 19, 2012 10:30 am

I have not put a Nikon on any of my heavy-recoiling pistols like .375 JDJ, .357 Herrett, or .358 JDJ.

Even my 12.5" .35 Rem Rimmed barrel eats NcStar, Bushnell, Tasco, and some no-brand Chinese knock offs.

I do not know how many NcStar scopes I have shattered, but it is more than 20.

The last NcStar I had was on a Contender .44x356 and it lasted about six rounds.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down