Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New food for my S&W 625JM

+2
Daywalker
wallenba
6 posters

Go down

New food for my S&W 625JM Empty New food for my S&W 625JM

Post by wallenba Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:10 am

My S&W 625 is my favorite handgun. I shoot it alot and know all its likes/dislikes. Last week I was putting away some seldom used bullet molds. I picked up a Lee six cavity 200gr RFN I previously used in my 45 Colts. I had been using 200 gr Lee SWC's that did not lend themselves to being crimped, in the Smith. A crimp is necessity in this 45 ACP revolver. The RFN does have a crimp groove, and I wondered why I had not tried it before. After casting a bunch, I used a start load for the SWC's from data in my Lyman manual, settled on 3.7 grains of Clays. It could'nt have turned out better Very Happy . No more creeping forward out of the cases, accuracy very good, needs more work. It also punches a clean hole, almost as good as the SWC did. Point of aim changed a bit, minor problem. The moon clips drop in much easier now too. It was never a competition gun so I dealt with it. Seldom does a first test work out so well for me, just had to brag!
wallenba
wallenba

Back to top Go down

New food for my S&W 625JM Empty Re: New food for my S&W 625JM

Post by Daywalker Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:16 am

Hey man that is just awesome to read. So glad you found a mould for it. I don't own a wheel gun anymore, at least not for now, but looking forward to replacing it with another!!
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:14 am

grats its always great when a plan comes together cheers
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:46 am

That's great man....also good to put that old tool back to work.

Sounds like a win-win to me Smile
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by fletch_medic Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:46 pm

Exactly how well do you like your revolver? I was thinking of getting one. It looks good, and I wouldn't have to buy new dies.
fletch_medic
fletch_medic

Back to top Go down

Post by wallenba Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:39 am

fletch_medic wrote:Exactly how well do you like your revolver? I was thinking of getting one. It looks good, and I wouldn't have to buy new dies.

I'm a great fan of S&W, and as a reloader I prefer revolvers because I don't have to hunt for my brass after shooting. The 625JM is a 4'' stainless gun and as so it is very well balanced. It is a model as you probably know used by Jerry Miculek, a S&W sponsored champion shooter. Check this out!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLk1v5bSFPw It is a 45ACP which is an inherently accurate cartridge. It also uses moon clips which speed up reloading of the gun and keeps all your brass together, a plus if you do compete and have to police after yourself. If you get one, get plenty of moon clips (get the steel ones, plastic won't hold them well enough) and one of these tools https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-SFDK_qFzQ&feature=related You will fall in love with this gun! It will also shoot 45 auto rim cartridges without moon clips.
More Jerry, 625 near the end of video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OPHq7NR8w4&feature=related
wallenba
wallenba

Back to top Go down

Post by Hughie Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:06 pm

wow thats some fast shooting Very Happy My fav is a good revolver I have a S&W ss 67 I .38SPCL i love it very fun to shoot. I would like something in a .45 to .44 range one day Very Happy
Hughie
Hughie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down