Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Rendition of a Swage Press

+5
Pathfinder
billarrington
RichBirdHunter
Reload3006
eagle60
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

My Rendition of a Swage Press - Page 2 Empty Re: My Rendition of a Swage Press

Post by eagle60 Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:25 pm

Thanks Dart. Start collecting a few tools here and there and afore you know it you will have more than your shop can hold lol! I figure if it come right down to it, if we can't buy what we want, at least we can try to have a means to make it ourselves Smile
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:38 pm

Not sure if Grizzly still has it, but they have an 11x umm crap, 20 something I think, at anyrate, on sale for 789.00 cheaper than what I paid for my 9x19... I will have to check back. I need to order a belt since I snapped mine today...
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:54 pm

whats the weight of the 7"x10" and the demintions HxWxL
Travis
Travis

Back to top Go down

Post by eagle60 Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:21 pm

Travis, I'd guess the weight at 60 - 70 pounds, didn't see it listed on the HF web site. The manual gives a 15-7/8 length x 3-1/4 width and something around 8 inches high. Here is the link to the manual if you're interested.
http://manuals.harborfreight.com/manuals/93000-93999/93212.pdf
HF has a "sale" on them for $499. If you are thinking about getting one, get the largest one you can afford - believe me when I say (and I think DW will agree) that you need all the length you can get on the bed. There have been times that even the 7x14 wasn't quite long enough - -

Daywalker, dang man, hate to hear you done broke a belt.. If you can find the site for the grizzly I'd love to take a gander at it! I may not be able to do anything but drool over it but would love to check out the specs!
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:50 pm

http://www.grizzly.com/products/category.aspx?key=460000

I agree on the size. Even tho mine is 9x19, I only have about 14 1/2" between centers to work with. Also, I can fit a good size in the jaw of the chuck, however, a 7/8 die will not go all the way through the chuck out the back of the lathe so I am limited to the length of material I am using.

Also, on the grizzly 9x19, turning a grade 8 bolt is a beeyatch. I have went away from turning bolts to using all 4140 for the dies and punches....
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:52 pm

I broke that belt today parting off a tool of all things. Somehow a piece of metal chipped up and fell into the parting groove got stuck and when it came around to the parting tool, it stopped the chuck dead in its tracks, as quick as I reached to turn it off I smelt rubber and heard flap flap flap and my heart sank...wasn't expecting to spend 40 bucks on belts tonight LOL....
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by eagle60 Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:05 am

Thanks for the link to the grizzly site. The wife would have a stroke if one of those magically appeared in the shop affraid Hate the fact that you had the belt problem but at least I know that I am not the only one with that kind of luck.. lol!
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2