Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Powder spill

+9
notenoughguns
scorge30
hawcer
dartfreak75
eagle60
Daywalker
billarrington
Travis
RichBirdHunter
13 posters

Go down

Powder spill Empty Powder spill

Post by RichBirdHunter Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:59 pm

I spilled about 2 cups of H380 today how much foreign crap can you have or should I just pitch it and learn the lesson
RichBirdHunter
RichBirdHunter

Back to top Go down

Powder spill Empty Re: Powder spill

Post by Travis Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:08 pm

i would toss it its not worth the risk. but your a big boy you do what you want
Travis
Travis

Back to top Go down

Post by billarrington Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:12 pm

sorry rich its got to go....the only foreign matter that would matter is a few grains of diffrent powder getting mixed in with it ....might be bad news....bill

billarrington

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:22 pm

Yep. toss it out into the yard to help fertalize it and make it greener. Or into your garden if you have one...
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RichBirdHunter Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:25 pm

Well it was not money well spent but if you dump about 1/2 a cup into a old soup can a toss a match the flame shoots up about 5 feet for 10 seconds and that was fun
RichBirdHunter
RichBirdHunter

Back to top Go down

Post by eagle60 Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:45 pm

Hate the powder was lost - ya did the best thing tho. Better to have fun with a 5' flame for 10 seconds than to have a blast that wasn't as much fun :::::
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:09 am

just curious how much foreign powder would have to mix to make a caditrofic failure?? are we talking a couple flakes or a couple grains? just wondering i never mix powder but i do use the same powder measure for all my reloading i was just wondering if a flake or two of unique got stuck in hopper if it could make a big boom!
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:04 am

I guess it depends on where it was spilled for me. On a clean bench...I would prolly use it. On the floor....it's toast.

I just wasted a couple cups of Varget the other day when I forgot to shut the drain on my chargemaster. Yeah....I always learn the hard way.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by RichBirdHunter Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:09 am

hawcer wrote:I guess it depends on where it was spilled for me. On a clean bench...I would prolly use it. On the floor....it's toast.

I just wasted a couple cups of Varget the other day when I forgot to shut the drain on my chargemaster. Yeah....I always learn the hard way.

Yep, I was a victim of the evil chargemaster myself!
RichBirdHunter
RichBirdHunter

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:58 pm

I still use the Lee auto disk powder measures and with some powders like Ramshot's TAC, H110, H2400, and any fine granulated powder some leaks around the damn thing no matter how tight you screw it down.

Due to nerve damage from my injuries I shake a tad especially when tired, so sometimes I spill a charge on the table rather than into the shell. On the table I am usually able able to clean it up and it gets tossed back on top of the powder measure to resuse.

Anything that hits the floor is lost. I sweep it up and toss it in the wife's flowers. We have some of the prettiest roses in the neighborhood.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by notenoughguns Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:00 am

Once it's on the floor , it's out the door , Plain and simple .

notenoughguns

Back to top Go down

Post by algunjunkie Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:51 pm

my bench is always a mess since i use it for other things besides reloading. Anything spilled is tossed.

Don't forget to put the lid back on the big bottle. Please don't ask how I learned that one.

algunjunkie

http://algunjunkie.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:13 pm

I keep my bench clean, so if I spill on the bench I usually can recover it and toss it back in the top of the powder measure.

While my wife keeps the house very clean, the garage is a bit of a pit, and anything that hits the floor is a write off.

When we still had the rhodedendrons in the front of the house, they loved all the powder they got, but I got tired of having to dump my bees honey because of the dark, toxic honey. Shame too, because bees love rhodys but I cannot sell toxic honey.

Now we have roses, and they love the powder they get.

Most of the powder tossed these days comes from the effing leaking Lee Auto Disk powder measure I have been using for several years now.

I about had another minor heart attack when I tipped over an open, full 8 lb jug of H335. Thankfully, it hit the storage rack above the bench and stopped without spilling more than a handful of powder on the bench.

Taught me to immediately put the lid back on the jug.

Last edited by scorge30 on Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fix redneck typing)
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:20 pm

RichBirdHunter wrote:
hawcer wrote:I guess it depends on where it was spilled for me. On a clean bench...I would prolly use it. On the floor....it's toast.

+2 on the chargemaster.

I myself, if my bench is clean I will generally recover spilled powder (if it is a lot). If its a little bit I don't bother. Now this is not recommended, but if my bench is dirty or if i feel its contaminated it all goes into a HIGHLY marked container of miscellaneous powders that does occasionally get used with glue stick bullets. Rolling Eyes
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:28 pm

Bones, never thought of using a mix of powder for glue stick bullets.

I usually use a large rifle primer in a modified .45 ACP case to propel my glue stick bullets. Never thought of putting powder under them.

Do you get any kind of burning using powder under the glue stick? It is a favorite load for stray cats in my wife's flowers.

Would be a good use for spilled powder but I think I will be prudent and use it for fertilizer. The image of the kaboom AR15 in another thread makes me shudder at the thought of playing mad scientist with powder blends.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:32 pm

I never modified any of my cases to shoot glue stick bullets out of my 1911. I just seat and shoot. I havn't for a while as I don't feel like wasting anymore primers...

Bones...... I worry about you sometimes..... Maybe you need to look at them picures of the last 1911 you decided to see what a tripple charge would do!!!!!!!!
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:51 pm

Maybe I am too conservative, but I would not rather kaboom a valuable firearm by playing mad scientist with powder blends.

As much as it chaps my ass to lose some of the powder I always spill, I chalk it up to a fact of life and toss most of it in the wife's flowers.

Sometimes I wish I was older and could have been reloading when you could buy a 25 lb jug of 4895 for cheap.

When powder was cheap losing a cup or two would not bother me so much but now with some of my favorite powders pushing $30 a pound, it really hurts to lose as much as a charge of powder.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:13 am

I have thought about trying to put a charge behind gs bullets but I'm kinda scared of getting glueing in my barrel I thought about putting some sort of gc behind it sorry to get off topic
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:22 am

Yeah Dart, I did not want to hijack the thread either maybe we need to start a glue stick bullet thread?

While I imagine using spilled powder blend behind a glue stick is a decent way to make use of a product that would otherwise get tossed out the door - it seems rather risky to me and not something I believe I would do.

I am sure Bones uses all caution and is probably well on the side of safe margin, but I am not comfortable doing something like that myself.

I know there are people who feel differently about the uses of spilled powder and like most things firearm - there are a crap load of opinions out there.

Last edited by scorge30 on Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:23 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fix redneck typing)
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by wallenba Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:26 pm

RichBirdHunter wrote:

Yeah my Chargemaster has a post-it note on it, I did it more than once.
wallenba
wallenba

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:27 pm

Y'all are making me glad im a cheap bstd. LOL still using my uniflow and 505 and range master LOL
but I must say I do on occasion spill some. when I do its fertilizer.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:31 pm

+1 for being cheap bastich

I still use an old Lee Auto Disk powder measure, despite the fact it leaks fine grained powder like TAC, H110, etc.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down