Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

glue stick bullets

+5
Blade
Pathfinder
Daywalker
scorge30
dartfreak75
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

glue stick bullets Empty glue stick bullets

Post by dartfreak75 Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:30 am

Hey we didn't want to hijack the powder spill thread so I started a new one Il post some pics of my glue stick bullets ASAP
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

glue stick bullets Empty Re: glue stick bullets

Post by dartfreak75 Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:12 am

ok guys here is some pics of my glue stick bullets what i did was made the bullet my filling my casting mold with glue gun then i primed my normal everyday 45acp brass with large rifle mag primer just to get a little extra pop then i filled the case as full as i can with poly fill leave room to seat the bullet then i just seat the bullet with my fingers get it as straight as possable then i slightly roll crimp it just the keep it from moving around the shoot pretty good i practice my trigger pull with them in the basement there not load at all i can shoot them indoors (basement) w/o ear plugs there good for indoor practicing on a rainy day or pesky neighbor dogs and cats i do want to try putting a little powder behind it but i want to make some sort of a gas check maybe out of cardboard or something cause im scared it will melt the glue in my barrel and that would be a pain to clean i though about starting with about 1 grain of unique with some sort of gas check and seeing what happens id like to get one of them cheap sarco barrels to put in my gun for stuff like this that way if it does gum up the barrel my original one will still be clean and ready to roll anyways feel free to share your opinions here are the pics!
glue stick bullets 30as01c
glue stick bullets 2vtyuc1
glue stick bullets 34spc11
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:20 am

That is a neat looking glue stick bullet!

I got the idea from Ammosmith over on You Tube which is how I found DW.

https://youtu.be/20Px6Vz8tt8

I take the actual glue gun refil stick that is pretty close to .45 ACP size. I stuff it in the case until it bottoms out and then using a razor blade slice the glue stick off flush with the mouth of the case.

If you shoot them into a card board box filled with packing peanuts or crumpled news paper, you can reuse the glue stick bullets.

I've never put powder behind them, but using LR primers gives them enough pop to keep stray cats from crapping in my wife's flowers.

Shame I have to shoot the cat because it is not the cat's fault - but I would probably get in trouble shooting my neighbors whom I suspect the cat belongs to.

Its still a fairly cheap way to practice. When primers were much cheaper, something I loaded often. These days with primers once so hard to find and rather expensive - I have not loaded glue stick bullets in a while.

Now that primers are becomming easy to find again and the prices are dropping - maybe I will load a few of these for fun.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:25 pm

I broke my glue gun. I perfer to pump hot glue into my lubed mould and make it look like a bullet. I will get me another glue gun, just not really high on my list right now and I can really save my primers for when I need them for right now..

I did this a while back through my Super blackHawk and shot across my chrony. I can not remember exactly the fps, but I do know it was mid 300's... IIRC, my crossbow is 350 FPS so thats pretty zooming for the glue stick. This was unmodified 44 mag case with standard no magnum primers. Magnum primers costed too much for me to pop off a few glue sticks... I am going to toy around with using my reloaded primers to see how they will work with the glue stick. I imagine a reloaded primer with a grain or 2 of powder and poly fil will be nice to try..
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:55 pm

yea i remember that video i would have tried that but all i have is them little glue sticks so i just used my casting moulds they make nice little plastic slugs lol the other way might be better for loading with powder becouse them glue sticks would problobly get a better seal in the rifling to reduce fouling i guess well see!
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:03 pm

Dart, next time you go to make another glue stick bullet, drop a bb into each cavity make sure it settles in the center. Pump that glue in the mould. Be sure to keep the nozzle in the sprue plate till you feel the glue pushing the glue gun up...

When it is cool, you will have a bb inside the nose of the glue stick bullet.. Not sure what you will gain by it, but it has that cool look. especially if you use the copper bb.. You may be able to do it with a pointed pellet and have a small bt LOL...
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:11 pm

That's a really good idea I'm gonna try that thanks a lot Il let you know how it works
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by Pathfinder Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:01 am

Glue stick bullets are so much fun! I did see a guy on YouTube making wax bullets a wile back. They looked pretty good.
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:00 am

i got to messing around outside the other day and i decided to shot some of my glue stick bullets i had never shot them outside iv only shot them inside (basement) at about 10 feet or so these things are suprizingly accurate i streched them out to about 15-20 yards and they hit pretty darn close to where i was aiming i cant wait to do a little more tickering with them just to see how good i can get them to group im gonna shoot paper with them just to see i was shooting at a stump the other day and i hit it every time pretty close to where i was aiming!
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:32 am

Well Dart, you have shot them about as far as I have ever attempted to hit something with a glue stick bullet.

I use my .45 Win Mag Super 14 T/C Contender barrel as the .45 ACP chambers just fine and the long barrel gives me a little bit more of a steady rest.

I am usually aiming at a running cat's southern end having to chase them from the garden and my wife's flowers.

Not sure if the primer has enough power though to propel the glue stick chunk through that long T/C barrel without losing some speed. Hits on cats are pretty telling though as they usually react about the same as getting hit with a .68 cal paint ball.

I do not have a chronograph but I would love to shoot some of these over a chrono through both my .45 Gold Cup and my .45 Win Mag T/C barrel to see what speed they are popping at.

I have been considering a smidgen of Bullseye with a .410 over powder card punched from either gasket material or BP (black powder) cards to protect the glue stick chunk from the heat of the powder and maybe get a better seal between the barrel and projectile.

Another idea I am playing with is a smidgen of Trail Boss with or without any protector to see how things shoot.

Ballistic Products makes a .410 bore "stump buster" very short gas seal. In our discussion of the .45 ACP shot shells we talked about using a .410 bore cut shot cup.

I wonder if in my longer .45 Win Mag cases if I could use the BP (Ballistic Products not black powder) "stump buster" gas seals to get a little more speed and better seal between the glue stick and either just a primer or a smidgen of powder?

Will be fun to play around with and see which works better.

One thing though, these glue stick chunks make a mess in the yard - especially around here where it rains so much. It looks like someone hawked a big loogie in my grass or dropped a chunk of Vasoline.

Really interesting when you hit one with the lawn mower - yuk!!!
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by Blade Sat May 07, 2011 5:57 pm

dartfreak75: Try rubbing some white lithium grease on the glue stick bullets.

I've also made a few, mostly out of my 158gr. TL mold for my 38spl. 2" snubby. I gave one to a friend and he tested it in his 6" 38spl. but it got stuck... lol. He didn't use any kind of a "lube" on the bullet. So far i haven't had any problems shooting them.

glue stick bullets 07052010
glue stick bullets 07052011
The one on the left came out of my 150gr. RN mold and the one on the right came out of my 158gr. TL mold, both of those have been shot a few times and the middle one is still new.
Blade
Blade

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Sun May 08, 2011 12:25 am

Them look good Il try that thanks for the idea
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by BigAgitator Fri May 20, 2011 11:32 am

I've got to give you props for coming up with this! Ammosmith does a good job but your idea of casting them in the mould- how perfect!

.5 or 1.0 grains of unique... now that'll get the cat's attention- there is a cat that lives near my place that is kicking the asses of all the other cats around here. Just wishful thinking though. I don't want to get in trouble. Knowing my luck, I'd kill it by accident ATG

Must... Buy.... New... Glue.... Gun....

Dropping a bb or two into the mould- now that's a good idea! I've got about 10k of 'em kickin' around.

Someone needs to do that and post a pic of the cast slugs with bb in nose.
I know this thread is a little ripe but I figured I'd revive it
BigAgitator
BigAgitator

https://www.youtube.com/user/BigAgitator?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Fri May 20, 2011 11:56 am

ok guys....I'm gunna have to try this. I have been putting it off for far too long. I found a ancient package of Hodgdon large pistol primers that I could use up on these.

I have some old large rifle primers too....I wonder how much more pop I could get out of those.

I don't trust using them in my ammo, might as well use them in something,right?
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Fri May 20, 2011 12:09 pm

I would not have thought of using a glue stick gun to fill my molds to "cast" glue stick bullets without this thread.

I use a puff of bullseye and it does get the cat's attention. They remember and will growl at me as they run down the street gutter but will not step on my grass.

With a smidge of bullseye the bullet will knock the cat right off his feet and often tumbles them a bit.

I hit one that was crapping in my hops in the back of the head and it knocked it cold. I grabbed it by the scruff and laid it on its belly in the sun at the end of my driveway until it came to.

I thought I might have concussed it as it staggered around a while after getting to its feet. Cats are tought though as that old tom is still around making little pests as fast as his excited butt can.

Glue stick bullets work great on crows too, but it tends to kill them. A crow's ribs are not as robust as a cat's and the glue stick bullet tends to cave the chest in.

I was at Michaels craft store with my wife and was considering my selection of glue sticks. Wife has a glue stick gun that I am going to repurpose for casting bullets.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Fri May 20, 2011 12:22 pm

I'm having my wife pick me up a new glue gun and a package of glue sticks while she is in town today getting stuff to redo the fire pit with,LOL
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Fri May 20, 2011 1:59 pm

That is a good idea to have the wife shop for the glue sticks. My wife gets coupons all the time for the craft crap stores.

Getting the glue sticks for 20% off or more on her coupons makes these a little more affordable for practice and pest control.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by BigAgitator Fri May 20, 2011 7:29 pm

I laughed so hard at your post Scorge!

I get such a kick out of that kind of thing.

Beware though- I used non magnum large pistol primers and got a cast glue bullet stuck in my revolver's barrel. I'm going to go the scorge route and use a dash of powder- maybe some unique- say 1 grain or so. I'll see if the ones I loaded with large magnum primers get the thing through my barrel.

Pics will follow
BigAgitator
BigAgitator

Back to top Go down

Post by kcatto Sat May 21, 2011 2:06 am

man you guys are going to force me to mold up some of these.... i found about 100 small magnum pistol primers loose in the bottom of a box today.... i was thinking about what I could use them for....

and low and behold i find this thread..... problem solved...
kcatto
kcatto

Back to top Go down

Post by Blade Sat May 21, 2011 4:53 am

In my 2" snubby the glue stick boolits work great with just a small pistol primer, but you will have to use a small amount of powder if you are using anything longer then that.

Just a tip when casting the glue stick boolits: put a rubber band on the handles while you are casting. Otherwise you have the hold the mold the whole time for the glue to set. Especially after about 10 casts the mold starts to get hot, then you have to wait longer and longer for them to cool down.
Blade
Blade

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Sat May 21, 2011 3:15 pm

I molded 11 glullets last night...broke my new glue gun on the 12th cavity fill....grrrrr.

These things are pretty ballsy with just a primer. I shot some into a thick cardboard box and they when through both sides and bounced off the wall. They throw som pretty good sparks out the barrel too, in the dark.

I'd hate to be on the recieving end of one,that's for sure.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by BigAgitator Sat May 21, 2011 11:28 pm

What length of a barrel are you using Chris?
I can't remember...

Those sound pretty potent; kind of what I was hoping for with mine.
BigAgitator
BigAgitator

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Sat May 21, 2011 11:29 pm

I shoot most of mine through either through a .45 Colt with its stock 5" barrel or a .45 Win Mag 14" T/C barrel.

With a pinch of Unique or Bullseye these have a nice pop to them. I use the micro-measure for my Lee Auto Disk and it helps me measure small puffs of Bullseye.

I have not cast any yet and am waiting for the wife to find her old glue gun so we can try some of these. Bought a small bushel of glue sticks on her coupon so looking forward to casting some.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by BigAgitator Mon May 23, 2011 12:52 am

well put up some pictures so I can feast my eyes on 'em
:worthless-with
BigAgitator
BigAgitator

Back to top Go down