Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Catfish at lake of the Ozarks Missouri.

+13
kcatto
dartfreak75
Blade
Daywalker
RemMan700
Nicnac
RichBirdHunter
Hughie
eagle60
hawcer
Reload3006
XbonesX
sdsviper
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Catfish at lake of the Ozarks Missouri. - Page 2 Empty Re: Catfish at lake of the Ozarks Missouri.

Post by sdsviper Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:54 am

Aussie wrote:They are one ugly looking fish......Hope they taste better than they look....LOL

Next time your state side you need to try some.
sdsviper
sdsviper

Back to top Go down

Catfish at lake of the Ozarks Missouri. - Page 2 Empty Re: Catfish at lake of the Ozarks Missouri.

Post by kcatto Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:24 pm

catfish is country boy caviar mmmmmm yummy.... it is one of the best eating fish in the country, crappie is probably my favorite, then catfish....

Hey Steve have you ever used yo-yo's.... I have a case of them and I need to use try them.... anyone else ever used them??? got any advice etc???

kcatto
kcatto

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:24 pm

Not too many catfish around here where I live. Some bullheads and the occasional channel cat from a few of the lakes.

I like to go east to fish for catfish. I like a spot where the Columbia and Snake Rivers come together called Cofluence, WA.

Got some real deep water and some real big catfish in the deep holes. Anything over 5 lbs I pat on 'em on the head, take a pic & toss back they do not taste as good as the big 'uns to me.

When I was a kid my folks and I lived on a working potato farm in Idaho on the Weiser River. Lots of cat fish on that little river - mostly blues and channel cats. Damned carp have taken over too.

I'd love a good fish fry - I am the only one in the family that eats fish - my wife and 2 daughters hate fish. Can't even get the wife or girls to eat fish sticks - and that aint fish!!
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:57 pm

Scorge- Those bullheads are some mighty fine eatin too, they are just a tad bit on the small side.

Sdsviper- "Trying" to make a kick A** bow is more like it. My trade bow for the bow swap on the traditional site I belong to is due to ship out July 9th and I'm trying to play catch up now. I can make bows anytime I want without any mishaps. The minute I feel like I'm in a hurry or under pressure is when the trouble starts and the gremlins run amuck around my shop. Suspect Neutral

Aussie- Don't let the looks fool ya, catfish are one of my favorites next to crappie of course. Kcatto said it right, crappie first then catfish.
You should really try some when you get the chance to Aussie. Make sure they are rolled in corn meal and deep fried to a golden brown, fixed any other way than that is just blaspheme and a terrible waste of good catfish! Cool
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:00 pm

Mohunter wrote:Scorge-
Aussie- Don't let the looks fool ya, catfish are one of my favorites next to crappie of course. Kcatto said it right, crappie first then catfish.
You should really try some when you get the chance to Aussie. Make sure they are rolled in corn meal and deep fried to a golden brown, fixed any other way than that is just blaspheme and a terrible waste of good catfish! Cool

Amen Brother preach on... LOL I am married to a yankee and I caught a big mess of cats and had them filleted out she grabbed a bowl of flower and started to roll my fish in the flour I said what are you doing she said im getting ready to cook those fish ... I said not in flour you arent. LOL
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:12 pm

Mo, we filet the bullheads since they are so small. But they are a decent eating catfish.

Been meaning to head east to help ease the spiney ray infestation on the lakes. Some jerk with a 5 gal bucket poured yellow perch in some of my favorite small lakes and now the Fish & Game Dept are begging people to catch all they can. No tossin' them back.

I caught a few carp last time too and along with the carcass and guts from all the yellow perch we tossed them in the sage brush for fertilizer. From what I read the rotting fish makes some of the best fertilizer if you can handle the stench.

My wife is a SoCal girl and she hates fish so my buddies and I break out the propane deep fryer and our favorite corn flour breading. My Grandmother, taught me a long time ago how to make a good fish fry. I make a mean hushpuppy too if you do not mind 'em spicey. I always toss either Jalapeno or Habanero peppers in my hush puppies. At worse I toss red pepper flakes in the hush puppy mix.

Last time we hit the Potholes the five guys and I made a procession line for drenchin', dunkin' and fryin' with me on the deep fryer. It was a hell of a feast but I'll bet that we did not even put a dent in the yellow perch population. The F&G guys have shocked a few of the lakes and taken nets to attempt to clean out a lot of the yellow perch. Helps a little but not much.

The F&G have also brought in Tiger Trout and Tiger Muskie both sterile cross breeds that do nothing but eat and grow huge. While the Tiger Trout and Tiger Muskie also eat a lot of yellow perch they prey hard on the native trout. Perch are just too spiny for a meal unless the trout get real huge.

Got some big Mulies in all those coulies, and I hope that a shot of rotting fish fertilizer will help the grass and sage brush to grow for the Mulies to eat and get bigger.

I am aiming to take my oldest daughter to one of my hidden little Alpine lakes on Monday. Full of stupid little brook trout that hit just about any lure you can toss. Its a Jeep trail in though and I hope to get the Jeep running this weekend.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by sdsviper Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:03 am

kcatto wrote:catfish is country boy caviar mmmmmm yummy.... it is one of the best eating fish in the country, crappie is probably my favorite, then catfish....

Hey Steve have you ever used yo-yo's.... I have a case of them and I need to use try them.... anyone else ever used them??? got any advice etc???

Catfish, crappie it all good eating. :barri: I have not used yo-yo's let us know how the work.
sdsviper
sdsviper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2