Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Salvaging shot out of damaged shotgun shells

+2
Reload3006
hawcer
6 posters

Go down

Salvaging shot out of damaged shotgun shells Empty Salvaging shot out of damaged shotgun shells

Post by hawcer Mon May 23, 2011 11:06 am

I was down out my friends house fixing his truck again....LF hub this time.

while I was there he gave me a huge dog food bag full of live shotgun shells that have water damage to the steel part of the hulls.

His hot water heater sprung a leak in the basement at some point and ruined all of them and he didn't want to take the chance on firing them.

So now I have about 400 rounds of 16 gauge #6 shot and 200 rounds of 16 gauge #7-1/2, some 12 gauge #4's and 7-1/2"'s and a handfull of slugs to salvage the shot from...a few primers maybe and the few I cut apart last night still had dry powder in them that I'll use for fertilizer I guess.

Should be fun!
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Salvaging shot out of damaged shotgun shells Empty Re: Salvaging shot out of damaged shotgun shells

Post by Reload3006 Mon May 23, 2011 11:38 am

good luck for you. honestly they probably are still good. the worst thing that could happen would be a fizzle. and that being the case just get a stick and push the wadding out of your barrel. I would imagine that if the primers are wet they arent any good I will find out however as I had a major water leak on several thousand of my shotgun shell primers I let them dry out and am going to see if they are any good I just cant bring myself to toss them.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Salvaging shot out of damaged shotgun shells Empty Re: Salvaging shot out of damaged shotgun shells

Post by hawcer Mon May 23, 2011 11:49 am

These were not found water damaged until too late... most of them are very rusty and so are the primers. So far the shot has been clean and most of the powder is dry....some of the really bad ones have corrosion on the inside of the primer cup and is visible looking into the shell.

I wouldn't trust them...but I'll trust the salvaged shot to work just fine Wink

It's not too hard ....just cut the shell in half with a fine serrated knife....the shot falls out one side and once the wad is removed the powder falls out the other.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by kcatto Mon May 23, 2011 12:02 pm

i would call that making lemonade out of lemons...
kcatto
kcatto

Back to top Go down

Post by BigAgitator Mon May 23, 2011 12:17 pm

That sounds like a good score! I've cracked-open a coupla' rusty shells and I noticed the same thing; sometimes the powder seems dry and okay.

I'd probably save the powder and use it to build... er.... never mind
BigAgitator
BigAgitator

https://www.youtube.com/user/BigAgitator?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Mon May 23, 2011 12:33 pm

BigAgitator wrote:
I'd probably save the powder and use it to build... er.... never mind

...Blanks! LOL

Idk... I am saving it in ziplock bags....separated by each type of shell of course. It's large flake powder...but I don't have a clue as to what kind.

The xxxxx of it all is....none of this stuff was the cheap target loads. it was all high grade hunting ammo..."high brass" stuff. I guess he learned to keep his ammo off the floor,LOL
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Mon May 23, 2011 12:36 pm

were they reloads or factory stuff?
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Mon May 23, 2011 12:40 pm

All factory....he doesn't reload shotgun, which is why he gave them to me.

I might try to transfer the innards out of some of the 12 gauge shells into some good shells with fresh primers and give them a try. I don't have a 16 gauge....so they are for salvage only.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Mon May 23, 2011 12:46 pm

well then there is absolutely no way to tell what powder it is. I would fertilize with it. but Lead is Lead unless of course its steel. a magnet will tell you that. you could save the wads.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by BigAgitator Mon May 23, 2011 1:22 pm

Yeah, let's say I was talking about blanks Smile

BigAgitator
BigAgitator

Back to top Go down

Post by eagle60 Mon May 23, 2011 6:21 pm

That's a good haul! Little bit of work on your part and you got some new loaded rounds and some fertilizer Smile
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by kcatto Mon May 23, 2011 9:16 pm

fertilizer is powder good for plants????
kcatto
kcatto

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Mon May 23, 2011 11:37 pm

you should see how nice they make tomatoe plants grow!!!
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kcatto Tue May 24, 2011 12:29 am

DUDE! is there nothing reloading cannot do!!!!!

seriously this is so cool I have about 8 lbs of old powder from some WWII pulls....
kcatto
kcatto

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Tue May 24, 2011 8:29 am

Dont use too much, you can burn the plants as well. They do your grass good to if you toss them out. For Tomatoe plants I use about a table spoon full and not often.
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kcatto Tue May 24, 2011 11:25 am

thank you Tommy..... this is absolute a first for me.... this is so cool.... cheaper than miracle grow....
kcatto
kcatto

Back to top Go down

Post by BigAgitator Wed May 25, 2011 11:24 pm

this is a tease for you land-locked staters but seaweed right off the beach, still wet, makes the grass grow faster than you can cut it. Too bad it doesn't double as a propellant for small arms ammunition. Embarassed
BigAgitator
BigAgitator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down