Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Digital scale for $9 seems as good as $30 reloading scale.

4 posters

Go down

Digital scale for $9 seems as good as $30 reloading scale. Empty Digital scale for $9 seems as good as $30 reloading scale.

Post by EdgarEg Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:04 am

Digital scale for $9 seems as good as $30 reloading scale.
Hey, checkout this digital scale on eBay. It costs $8.88. (2.89 + 5.99 S+H)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

It looks like this Hornady GS-1500 scale on MidwayUSA:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
That costs $29.99.

The Hornady GS-1500 scale does have advantages:
- Hornady GS-1500 comes with a powder pan. The cheapie does not.
- Hornady GS-1500 comes with a calibration weight. The cheapie does not.
They both have about the same capacity. The Hornady GS-1500 capacity is 1500 grains. The cheapie capacity is 100g (about 1534 grains).

I bought one of the cheapies for $8.88. Here is the package it comes in, shipped from Hong Kong.
Here is a picture of it weighting a 50g weight next to my Frankford Arsenal DS-750 also weighting a 50g weight. Both are set to units=grains and both show the same weight in grains. They both show 771.5 and actually 771.6gr = 50g since 1 gram = 15.4323584 grains.
I have played with it a bit and compared the weighting with my Frankford Arsenal DS-750. The cheapie seems to be about as good.

Last edited by EdgarEg on Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:35 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : location of Google Documents pix changed. I do not know why. Again URL changed.)
EdgarEg
EdgarEg

Back to top Go down

Digital scale for $9 seems as good as $30 reloading scale. Empty Re: Digital scale for $9 seems as good as $30 reloading scale.

Post by hawcer Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:18 am

Perfect for that portable ,on-the-go methlab..... joke

Congrats on the good deal find, let us know how it does in the long run....battery life, calibrations, temperature change flux,etc...

hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Digital scale for $9 seems as good as $30 reloading scale. Empty Re: Digital scale for $9 seems as good as $30 reloading scale.

Post by EdgarEg Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:37 am

hawcer wrote:Perfect for that portable ,on-the-go methlab..... joke

Congrats on the good deal find, let us know how it does in the long run....battery life, calibrations, temperature change flux,etc...

That is a topic worth chatting about. It seems to me that these electronics scales all need a warm-up period. The instructions say this warm-up period needs to be 30 seconds. Ha! I find that the scale has to be on several minutes before it will give consistent readings. And it needs to sit in the same place and it better be level and vibration-free, no movement of the surface that it is resting on at all.
EdgarEg
EdgarEg

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:34 pm

It is recommended you keep your scale in the same spot on your bench throughout your loading process. It is amazing how off your scale can get just by moving it an inch.

I was taught to find a level spot on the bench and draw an outline so you always keep the scale in the same place.

I've found with my Chargemaster that it levels really good and I can put it anywhere on my bench and get the same readings. During the winter months when its 40-50 degrees in my shop I go out about 30-60 minutes before I plan to reload to let it warm up.
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by kcatto Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:05 am

i bought a cheapie digital scale and it does not measure grains.... just g, oz, carat weight.... so i ended up having to convert grams to grains and grains to grams....

back to the old scales until I can get a digital reloading scale....

kcatto
kcatto

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down