Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

209 Primers

4 posters

Go down

209 Primers Empty 209 Primers

Post by Daywalker Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:47 am

Ok, I just want to make sure I am somewhat correct on this before I start making purchases. The local Wal-Mart here has already started putting out hunting equipment. Being that the closest Wal-Mart to me is only like 4 minutes away, I was thinking it might be cheaper to just get them there than ordering or driving 30-60 minutes or ordering online these 209 primers.

I guess what I am getting at, they have muzzle loader items out now. Will the 209 primers for muzzle loaders also work in shotshell even tho it states on the box not for shotshell use? I am thinking that once a week or so I could start picking up these primers and storing them for when I finally get the rest of the stuff needed to load shotshells. I also use these same primers in my CVA Wolf Magnum black powder rifle.

I have not really looked into the prices of these primers for shotshells. Are the prices for muzzle loaders the same or cheaper or more than for shotshells?

Thanks
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

209 Primers Empty Re: 209 Primers

Post by hawcer Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:10 am

I'm not 100% sure if there is a difference in them or not. I think they cost a little more than ones labeled for shotguns. I know some ML 209 primers can be real dirty, but that would be more noticeable in a ML anyway.

IMO, since they are labeled as 209 primers they should be 209 primers, regardless of what it was packaged for....
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by 2005ghostrider Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:42 am

They are the same size but from what I understand the ones designated for muzzle loaders have a different burn rate then standard 209 shotgun primers. I know the ones I got for my muzzle loader are a lot hotter then the regular ones I was using. Supposedly it's to help ignite the pelleted powder. Around here there 2 to 3 times more expensive then the regular 209 primers.

2005ghostrider

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:04 am

All I know is.....many guys use the standard shotgun 209 primer in their ml's. The original ML's that took a 209 primer ,used standard shotgun 209 primers....but as ghostrider mentioned, they might have up'd the horsepower for the muzzle loader 209 for better ignition.....but that was the whole point why they switched to 209's in the first place...instead of the old copper caps.

Do a launch test DW.....prime up two empty hulls. One with a ML 209 and one with a shotgun 209. wrap or tape a 45acp bullet(or anything else with a little weight)to fit in the wads shot cup and see which one launches farther.....the most distance= the stronger primer. I bet you could even launch a arrow with only the power of the primer....don't ask me how i know Wink
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:59 am

this is all i can tell you Tommy i have never used a Muzzle loader primer. In either my Muzzle loader or shotgun shells. I have used Standard 209 primers in both shotgun and muzzle loader. I dont know if there is a difference in them or not. But usually the designated muzzle loader primers are 3x more expensive than shotgun shell primers.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:54 pm

Much appreciated info. I knew there was something about the interchangability, however I could not remember which way it went. It seems I want to go the route with shotshell 209 primers to use for shotshell and to save money, use it in my ML as well. The amount I shoot my ML tho, the qty of primers currently on hand will prob last a while. This means I get to concentrate on shotshells for the moment.......
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down