Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mosin Nagant!

+6
Reload3006
hawcer
CMAsailor
Daywalker
brow_tines
fusil56300
10 posters

Go down

Mosin Nagant! Empty Mosin Nagant!

Post by fusil56300 Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:17 pm

Bonjour,
anyone cast for a Mosin?
I love shooting mine and want to start casting for it. 50 cal

I'll slug the bore in the summer and will them buy a LEE mold for it. Any advice?
fusil56300
fusil56300

Back to top Go down

Mosin Nagant! Empty Re: Mosin Nagant!

Post by brow_tines Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:32 pm

I have been very seriously thinking about buying one, they have them on sale for under a $100. How's the accuracy and kick on them ?
brow_tines
brow_tines

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:57 pm

I have been contemplating on casting for my mosin nagant as well. Be a great time both of us can work on it together and pass off some ideas.

I have to slug mine as well. And then work on gas checks. I am hoping and planning to make a gash check maker on the lathe if I can figure out how to do it. Save some money that way.

Brow_tines, the kick of the mosin, depending on the one you have, isn't all that bad I don't guess. It kicks a little harder than my .270. Maybe around the 30-06 or better range if I had to guess?

Accuracy, well, I have only gotten to shoot mine once at a range. I placed 20 rounds down range with it. My
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CMAsailor Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:37 pm

i send lee's 155grainer out of mine with a gc... lemme see if i can find the mould online...

this one: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=752956

they mic .313 as dropped with WW, and i got a size die for 314, the gc stays on fine. shoot great with "the Load" of 16gr of 2400
CMAsailor
CMAsailor

Back to top Go down

Post by fusil56300 Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:16 am

brow_tines wrote:I have been very seriously thinking about buying one, they have them on sale for under a $100. How's the accuracy and kick on them ?

Salut, I shoot of the bench out to 100mtr's with iron sights and get groups.....I aint saying how big they are silent .....I bought a batch of TULA ammo cheap and I've been feeding it them. Its very dirty & corrisive.
As for the kick, I'm built like Daywalker so it aint a problem. rifleman
Buy one you wont be sorry.

fusil
fusil56300
fusil56300

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:54 am

The mosin nagant is fun and cheap to shoot (if you don't mind corrosive surplus ammo). They equal a 30-06 as far as recoil goes and can be accurate. I don't reload for mine yet due to the under abundance of reloadable cases. I am seriously thinking of trying to convert some cases to use 209 primers for some powder puff loads. I don't know if the brass cases I have can be swaged for the use of standard large rifle primers...I've been saving them, just in case.

I bought 2 Tula Hex Mosins a few years ago for about $70 each. I gave one to my brother...he didn't clean it like I instructed and ruined the barrel and rusted the bolt and receiver...he ended up dumping it on gunbroker. So much for little brothers.... Rolling Eyes

I still have the spike bayonet for his if any body is missing one, you are welcome to it.

Mine still looks factory new! Very Happy
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by CMAsailor Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:56 am

i would go the trail boss route before playing with 209s... seems like too much trouble and possibly having to hammer out a lodged bullet...

trail boss works best for powderpuffs and TheLoad of 16gr of 2400 is better for plinking around 1600fps... it's like a really big 22 cheers
CMAsailor
CMAsailor

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:11 am

.... sorry for the confusion, I didn't mean it as a 209 primer load only...I'd have powder in there too. Just thinking of an alternate way of using berdan cases.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:50 pm

brow_tines wrote:I have been very seriously thinking about buying one, they have them on sale for under a $100. How's the accuracy and kick on them ?
I have a finish one from sako its accuracy is so so dont get a mosin if you want a tack driver. I have never casted for it because i dont really like any of the load info out there because there was so many of them made the bore diameters are supposedly all over the place. dont know if thats true but its what my speer and hornady manuals tell me. so I just shoot Wolf and surplus military. if you shoot the surplus military make sure you clean it after because its usually corrosive. i do have 7.62 x 54r dies and have loaded some for it with regular .308 bullets but the accuracy was for poop so just left it alone
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:57 pm

hawcer wrote:The mosin nagant is fun and cheap to shoot (if you don't mind corrosive surplus ammo). They equal a 30-06 as far as recoil goes and can be accurate. I don't reload for mine yet due to the under abundance of reloadable cases. I am seriously thinking of trying to convert some cases to use 209 primers for some powder puff loads. I don't know if the brass cases I have can be swaged for the use of standard large rifle primers...I've been saving them, just in case.

I bought 2 Tula Hex Mosins a few years ago for about $70 each. I gave one to my brother...he didn't clean it like I instructed and ruined the barrel and rusted the bolt and receiver...he ended up dumping it on gunbroker. So much for little brothers.... Rolling Eyes

I still have the spike bayonet for his if any body is missing one, you are welcome to it.

Mine still looks factory new! Very Happy
you can i have some olympic brand 7.62 x 54 and that could be a possible job for tommy and his new lathe. a jig to swage out the Berdan primer post and then drill a flash hole. you could swage the primer pocket diameter down with a ball bearing bead. I have and it works I did it just to say i could. You can buy brass from Lapua they call it 7.62x53r or you can get it from norma ... 7.62 russian .. but OMG is it expensive. but the berdan to boxer conversion is doable I have done it.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:31 pm

There are several tools on Ebay and other auction sites like Gunbroker to reload Berdan brass. I have tried a few of them and found them all time consuming and messy.

I have a Tula arsenal refinished 91/30 with the round receiver. I had the bolt extended and bent for scope mounting.

I have a PE scope mount and Russian scope for it from Ebay, but not mounted yet as you have to drill & tap the receiver, something that I believe left to an expert.

I have not shot cast boolits from mine yet, but I have shot several lots of various corrosive ammo through it. Since mine was new arsenal-refurbished I have kept a log book (I'm anal I know) of all lots of ammo shot through it.

I have several English translations of Soviet era books detailing 7.62x54 ammo and it helps when you are looking at piles of boxes with Cyrilic writing and you are not sure what you are buying. If anybody is interested I will forward them the 7.62x54 material.

If you haunt the gun auction sites like Gunbroker you will occasionally come accross bullet tips that have been pulled from ammo for cheap. These are often marked up a bit from the machine but shoot fine over a charge of H4895 in my rifle.

At a local gun show a few years ago I bought 2 cases of rusty steel cased Russian ammo of dubious quality. For $100 for 1760 rounds I could not pass on it, despite having to sleep on the couch with the dog for a while due to spouse displeasure.

I learned the value of a good collet bullet puller and a stout single-stage press with that ammo. I pulled the bullets and dumped the powder and tossed the steel cases in the recycling bin after popping the primers outside. Some were so rusty the case tore apart and I needed pliers to get the cartridge remains off the bullet.

The powder was of unknown and dubious quality so I gave it to the wife who dumped it in the garden for fertilizer - the tomatos liked it!!!

I am almost out of those bullets and they are a mixture of light ball, heavy ball, and tracer but most of the identification marks have been rubbed off. Kinda exciting at the range when I accidentally shoot a tracer!!

With iron sights on mine I can shoot a paper plate at 100 yards fairly easy. My local range max is 300 yards and at that distance I regularly put five in the same paper plate out of ten with occasionally getting lucky and getting a few more. I put an aftermarket rubber butt on mine and that helps tame the recoil which is similar to a 30-06 loaded with 180gr bullets or a 9.3x72R.

Its no tack driver, the Russians were using them to shoot Nazis out to 700 meters with iron sights, and a fair bit past that with the old cruddy PU side-mounted scope. The newer top-mounted PE scope is better but I do not have mine mounted yet for testing.

The Mosin Nagant strengths are its very stiff receiver, and a robust action that operated on blunt force trauma method of discharging rounds. While the German K98 was much more accurate the 91/30 was not nearly as ammo picky, was designed so that any uneducated Russian conscript could use it, and it could chamber and shoot almost any crappy ammo no matter the weather and lack of maintenance.

Steve

Last edited by scorge30 on Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot accuracy notes)
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by infantryjohn49 Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:39 pm

I purchased some prvi partizan 182 grn FMJ BT so I could reload the brass it is boxer primed. I got the die set all I need now are the bullits,
I still need to slug my barrel as well.
infantryjohn49
infantryjohn49

Back to top Go down

Post by CMAsailor Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:14 pm

some more info for ya, if i didn't have one already, I'd buy one again in a heartbeat. I've got a 91/30 that slugged at .313
i've shot several mfg of surplus ammo and some win white box... some of the surplus stuff made cloverleaf holes in 3/8's steel at 100yards... some didn't. and non of it would if i shot it all day cause the kick gets punishing after a few hours with a steel buttplate. i've never had a reason for putting the surplus on paper, the cast loads i've run were inside of the 2in dot at 50yrds allday. i didn't mess with it after that. never had the need cause it hits what i aim at with open sights inside of the 300yrd gong.
CMAsailor
CMAsailor

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:34 pm

i love my mosin i never have bothered reloading it because it is so hard to find non berdan non steel case brass so i figured at the price i can buy the surplus for why bother! i think casing for it would be fun though good luck and let me know how it turns out if you do cast some!
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:26 pm

If you haunt Gunbroker and the other gun-friendly auction sites you can sometimes find cheap 7.62x54R in a variety of styles.

Every once in a while someone will dump some brass reloadable cartridges and those go pretty quickly.

My barrel slugged out at .313 as well, not bad a Tula arsenal refurb that was in storage near 50 years cased in cosmoline.

For those of us that use this rifle this link is handy for information:

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAmmoID01.htm

This is where I got my PU scope, mount and the tools and supplies to have it mounted to my 91/30:

http://www.accumounts.com

This is the guy that I had my "sniper" 91/30 bolt handle bent:

http://mosinnagant.net/Boltman/Boltman.html

scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by johndeereboy24 Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:28 pm

Howdy i shoot a m44 7.62x54r and love it i use .311 bullet at of the 303 cal. there is a way to drill out part of the berdan primer and replace it wiht boxer one. i do both steel and brass just because we can.
johndeereboy24
johndeereboy24

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down