Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

possible SBR build question

3 posters

Go down

possible SBR build question Empty possible SBR build question

Post by hawcer Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:36 am

I'm looking into building a 9mm or other caliber AR15 SBR. what would be the best way to go about registering the lower as an SBR?

1) Register a lower I already own as an SBR
or
2) Purchase a new lower and have it registered as an SBR

I'd also like to have a registered can some day.

Thanks for any input you have on the matter.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

possible SBR build question Empty Re: possible SBR build question

Post by RemMan700 Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:19 pm

I think it is all the same process. That is unless you want a new lower and tell the wife it is easier to do that way. Very Happy
RemMan700
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:30 pm

I like how you think! Twisted Evil

This is similar to what I would like to end up with(eventually)
possible SBR build question 9mmsbr11
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:25 pm

Check your state's laws. For instance here in WA we cannot own SBRs at all although we can own cans and can actually use them now!!

We finally got the law fixed so that we can actually use the cans we own rather than having to go to the next state.

I had a 9mm Oly carbine once it was fun - but would have been better without an 18" barrel.

Might look into buying one of the AR pistols and then register it as a SBR so you can put a shoulder stock on it and a forgrip. Here we cannot put a forgrip on a AR pistol because somehow that magically makes it a sub machinegun somehow to the state.

My father registered a T/C Contender 14" pistol in .22 K-Hornet so he could use a shoulder stock with it.

For a while there were a lot of Chinese import WW2 or so .45 carbine kits to put a shoulder stock and an 18" barrel in the usual GI .45. Some people got in hot water because if you put the long barrel in the .45 you had to have the shoulder stock attached as well for some reason according to the law.

But if you did not have the long barrel in but had the shoulder stock attached it was somehow magically a machine gun and the state would confiscate it and give you a guest residence at the state's big house.

Make sure you do your research carefully. SBRs and the law are kinda fuzzy and the states are confusing as there is not one law for all. Ignorance can cost you plenty.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by RemMan700 Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:06 pm

You know you could do a AR pistol instead of SBR. I see guys put their cheek against the buffer tube and still shoot it like a rifle. That way you wouldnt have to mess with the SBR paper work and if you have a CHL you could carry that sucker concealed in your car or where ever and nobody can say anything because it is a pistol. Would suck to be the guy who trys to car jack you when you whoop out your AR-15 pistol (w/beta mag) CCW. Shocked ar15
RemMan700
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:21 pm

Never saw a AR pistol with a beta mag but that would be awsome!!

BTW I have shot a few AR15 pistols including a friends that was select fire. On full auto the flame from the muzzle was impressive.

Used to have a older gent who shot his AR15 pistol on the indoor range every Saturday morning. Man that thing was loud!!
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:20 am

Here in Indiana just about anything goes(with the correct tax stamp) except short barreled shotguns.

The only thing I have to be careful of is owning more than one short barreled upper with only one registered sbr lower along with my other AR's. The spare short barrel uppers along with a standard AR15 is considered intent on building a unregistered SBR....even if I never put the short upper on the unregistered lower....stupid huh? Kind of like having some m16 parts can be considered intent on building a unregistered machine gun. I can have as many shorty uppers as I like with only one registered SBR lower as long as I don't own a standard AR15....that's crap!

Someone else also gave me the hint to have a spare stripped pistol lower around just to store any spare shorty uppers on.

I really don't like AR pistols, even though they are getting better looking...

Yeah....a forward grip on a pistol is considered an SBR or smg..the grip magically becomes a stock when put on a pistol. So be careful guys that have a rail on your pistol and a forward grip....don't ever put the two together...even for a laugh, it isn't worth it!

We definitely have have some messed up gun laws....most try to make criminals out of law abiding citizens that don't know any better. They do nothing to stop criminals. The bottom line is $$$ , if you pay, you can play....and that's a fact!
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:15 am

I do not care much for the AR15 pistols either, but it might be a path to a SBR and keep you legal.

If I did get another 9mm or 45 ACP AR15, I think I would rather have a pistol version this time rather than the carbine.

My old Oly 9mm AR15 carbine was OK but the stupid long barrel was irritating. Would have been great if I could have had a short barrel with a can on it.

I hope to return to work soon, I am waiting on my background check & have been finger printed by the PoPo.

If I return to work my wife has said I can spend a little more on guns and stuff. I hope to get a can for my .300 WhispeR, and one for my Sako bolt action .223 AI and .223 T/C pistol.

The 14" T/C Contender .223 is as much SBR as I could ever use. It is real nice shooting but damn is it loud!!!

When I get working again, my SBR plans are to send the T/C 14" .223 barrel to be threaded so I can put either a Sure Fire or a AAC flash supressor/can attachment mount on the muzzle.

The only class 3 dealer near me is about a half hour to 45 mins south of me, assuming traffic is good. If traffic is bad it can take 2-3 hours.

Not sure about the PoPo in Indiana, but here I have to go to the Snohomish Co Sheriff to get permission to own a can. I have to get his signature on my form 4, but he thankfully has a record of supporting ownership of cans and such.

Unlike the King and Pierce Co Sheriffs that are known for not signing form 4s at all.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down