Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reloading Presses

+3
RichBirdHunter
Reload3006
phillyr121
7 posters

Go down

Reloading Presses Empty Reloading Presses

Post by phillyr121 Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:29 pm

So........I'm thinking of buying a press. Which is the best press to buy. I'll used it for 9mm and 45acp.

phillyr121

phillyr121

Back to top Go down

Reloading Presses Empty Re: Reloading Presses

Post by Reload3006 Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:54 pm

that is a question that will have as many answers as there are forum members. Just 9mm and 45? nothing else? ok I would buy if my budget was tight two lee pro 1000 because they are progressive.
If my budget was not really tight the Dillon SDB

Not enough money for that then maybe one of the Lee lower end presses.

Ok if rifle is going to be in the future and while your not on a penny budget and you want to be able to do anything.
1) Redding boss
2) RCBS Rockchucker
3) Lyman Orange Crusher
4) Hornady LNL single stage
The above are all single stage presses that I think is the best on the market in order of my preference

Large end Progressives? again the list is huge but my choice would be the Dillon xl 650
then The Hornady LNL Progressive.

Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by RichBirdHunter Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:59 pm

I really like the hornady lnl
RichBirdHunter
RichBirdHunter

Back to top Go down

Post by tripples Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:54 pm

If you are totally new to reloading I would recommend a single stage press. Progressive presses are great but its a lot to keep track of for a beginner.

There are a lot of good presses on the market. I myself have several, I have RCBS, Reeding, Lee, Hornady.

If I were to recommend a press for a beginner I would say look for a RCBS (either a rock chucker or a Jr2) either should be able to be found on Craigslist or eBay rather cheap. The next thing I would recommend is a press that has a cast linkage. If you are looking for a progressive I would recommend the hornady LNL, I recently purchased one and am impressed with it.

The one press that I would stay away from is the Lee 1000. I have one and hate it. Every time I use it I end up spending more time taking it apart and fixing it than I do loading. The powder measure is crap, the primer feed is junk. The only thing it has going for it is the price. But this press is how the saying "you get what you pay for" came about.

Also just to make sure you are aware, you will need more than just a press to get started. You are going to need some form of scale, and a caliper.

Tripples

Whatever you end up with take your time and make sure everything is right and you will be fine.

tripples

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:07 am

For reloading pistol ammo only...I'd highly recommend a single stage turret press. Find a used Lyman or RCBS for a decent price and you'll be set for life. Even a good ol' Lee Classic Turret would be a fine choice.

Keep in the back of your mind that anything is better than nothing....so if $$ is tight at the moment, get what you can afford, and as you mature in your reloading skills you will know what you actually need in a press.

hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by EdgarEg Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:18 pm

Do you have Lee dies? I hear there is some kind of thing about Lee dies not working well in a Hornady LNL press.

Google for:
hornady press lee dies
and you get hits like:
http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-368997.html

and

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=423993
EdgarEg
EdgarEg

Back to top Go down

Post by george457d Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:50 pm

If you have never reloaded before ,you might want to cut your teeth on a single stage press like the Redding T-7 turret press ,or the Lee hand press ...
Something to learn the basics and build confidence ...
george457d
george457d

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down