Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looks cool! Anybody know anything about reloading presses made by Brent Lidgard?

+3
RichBirdHunter
Daywalker
EdgarEg
7 posters

Go down

Looks cool! Anybody know anything about reloading presses made by Brent Lidgard? Empty Looks cool! Anybody know anything about reloading presses made by Brent Lidgard?

Post by EdgarEg Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:56 pm

Looks cool! Anybody know anything about reloading presses made by Brent Lidgard?
They are on Gunbroker.
Dual Ram
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=208676745

Handles Wilson type dies
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=208676746

First of all I do not know Brent Lidgard and I am not doing this to advertise his presses that are for sale. I am thinking about buying one of these. Has anybody here got one or used one or seen one or heard anything about them? I Googled him and found his Facebook page but I could not find any comments on his reloading presses.

I asked him questions about what it was made of and if it used stand shell holders and I got these answers:
==
The main body, the bottom hinge, and the handle are all made of 6061 aluminum, the connecting links and ram, and pivot pins are all steel.

It does take standard shell holders and I make it myself.
==
They look way cool to me!
EdgarEg
EdgarEg

Back to top Go down

Looks cool! Anybody know anything about reloading presses made by Brent Lidgard? Empty Re: Looks cool! Anybody know anything about reloading presses made by Brent Lidgard?

Post by Daywalker Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:12 pm

Does have that cool factor about it. Never heard of him never seen his work till now. Could not tell you anything about it.
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Looks cool! Anybody know anything about reloading presses made by Brent Lidgard? Empty Re: Looks cool! Anybody know anything about reloading presses made by Brent Lidgard?

Post by RichBirdHunter Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:51 pm

Pretty cool, nice to know you can make one if the SHTF
RichBirdHunter
RichBirdHunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:38 pm

That's nice work, but not $275 cool by any means.
If his last name were Lyman or Lee or Hornady he might justify charging that much, but if he wants to make a name for himself and get his presses out there on the market.........I would suggest dropping that price tag by at least half that much.
They may be the cat's meow for all I know, but at that price I'm not willing to take a chance on an "Unknown" Suspect
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:31 pm

i agree with mo thats kinda pricey for an untested home made press!
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:43 pm

at least its 6061 you can weld it if it breaks. looks well made but i would be more ready to pay that kind of money for a swaging press
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by kcatto Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:30 pm

beautiful machine work.... but I think a bit pricey as well
kcatto
kcatto

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:41 pm

I have been chewing on the price myself. I am kinda half and half on this one..

Would I pay this price for a product from someone I do not know? Not quite sure I would. Not sure if he would back the product up or anything like that. The parts aren't cheap and having a milling machine to do all that milling, there is hours that goes into the work..

If I was in the market for a press that looks like that, and this fella was well established, I would concider it. However, a few more dollars would also get me a very nice Hornady Progressive AP LnL Press while I can save the money and buy an aluminum press from Lee for around 60 bucks..

That is the same problem I see this new guy over at cast boolits. He is new to the site, doesn't have many posts, yet he has ordered raw material, called it a walnut hill look alike and wants to charge 550.00 bucks!! In my opinion, that is not helping getting people into swaging, 550.00 is still way too much imo for a press as well... Especially when the material for one press is less than 100 bucks. That is why I will be making my own Walnut Hill Copy with the plans that I have that another member was nice enough to share...

Edgar, if you do decide to get it, would like to hear a review on it if for anything to see the craftsmanship that went into making this press. Maybe some up close pictures of his Milling abilities...
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:50 pm

why would you buy a walnut hill look alike for 550 when you can buy the real deal for 495.?
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:55 pm

Well, that is the other point that I forgot to add into the thread. I do believe the person who is making these says he can get them out the door faster. I guess people will pay for faster service I dunno... Not me, not for 550 not even for 495.00

Sorry did not mean to steer this off topic of Edgars original post...
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:02 pm

one last thing sorry ed ... it only took me less than a month after i ordered it to get it. So? any rate for the money that this guy is asking i would be wanting steel. and by the looks of it it was cut with an nc mill probably the run time would be less than half an hour. the secondaries tapping the holes and jig bore work for the ram slides. an hour turning and milling the rams etc. he probably has about 3 hours machine work in the whole deal the 6061 and the steel for the rams probably 75 to a hundred. I guess depending on the shop rate its not that far out of line price wise but you can buy a rock chucker for less also a hornady or lyman and basically its just a single stage press just 2 rams. well my 2 cents anyway
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by kcatto Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:12 pm

Daywalker wrote:I have been chewing on the price myself. I am kinda half and half on this one..

Would I pay this price for a product from someone I do not know? Not quite sure I would. Not sure if he would back the product up or anything like that. The parts aren't cheap and having a milling machine to do all that milling, there is hours that goes into the work..

If I was in the market for a press that looks like that, and this fella was well established, I would concider it. However, a few more dollars would also get me a very nice Hornady Progressive AP LnL Press while I can save the money and buy an aluminum press from Lee for around 60 bucks..

That is the same problem I see this new guy over at cast boolits. He is new to the site, doesn't have many posts, yet he has ordered raw material, called it a walnut hill look alike and wants to charge 550.00 bucks!! In my opinion, that is not helping getting people into swaging, 550.00 is still way too much imo for a press as well... Especially when the material for one press is less than 100 bucks. That is why I will be making my own Walnut Hill Copy with the plans that I have that another member was nice enough to share...

Edgar, if you do decide to get it, would like to hear a review on it if for anything to see the craftsmanship that went into making this press. Maybe some up close pictures of his Milling abilities...

As a member i need someone to share those plans with me.... my old computer died and i lost a lot.... including those plans.... thank you
kcatto
kcatto

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:18 pm

Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by kcatto Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:23 pm

thank you.... you are the man....
kcatto
kcatto

Back to top Go down

Post by EdgarEg Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:07 pm

I thought this press design was unique but I see that there are at least two other presses with the same design:

Hood for $330

http://www.benchrest.com/hoodpress/hood_press.html

And Harrell for $275

http://harrellsprec.com/index.php?crn=205&rn=386&action=show_detail

And oh yeah, the original one I created this thread for is still on gunbroker for $250:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=217182978

They strike me as way cool. Anybody know anything about them?
EdgarEg
EdgarEg

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down