Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Like finding a booger in the punch bowl

+5
fatbeeman
fletch_medic
Reload3006
XbonesX
FWBGBS
9 posters

Go down

Like finding a booger in the punch bowl Empty Like finding a booger in the punch bowl

Post by FWBGBS Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:40 pm

With knowledge and plastic in hand I went ahead and purchased the reloading wares proposed to me from the {L-N-L Owners: is your press an amalgam...} thread.

All items ordered were "in stock and ready to ship". When I didn't receive a tracking number after one week I went to said site and found this:

Like finding a booger in the punch bowl Armsstore

Though, my Amex was immediately charged, I'm more upset with the time I wasted.
You know how hard it was to find a web store that carried ALL the individual elements I required?
What also sticks in my craw is not receiving a courteous notice about the closing or at least a CC charge-back.

Anyway, I found two other sites with good prices but one or more items in my cart are on BO.

Since there is no way around the wait, can you helpful folks pore over what I have in mind?
Please let me know of anything you'd add to this order (I already have the .38 die set and plate). Or, more importantly, know of a better deal.

Like finding a booger in the punch bowl Reload
FWBGBS
FWBGBS

Back to top Go down

Like finding a booger in the punch bowl Empty Re: Like finding a booger in the punch bowl

Post by XbonesX Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:51 pm

that sure does suck! hopefully it wont be a big hassle getting your refund.

i personally would ditch the Powder Drop Expanders, as the reviews and my personal experience have been bad. Hornady was modifying the design and coming out with a new set that should improve things but your still limited to caliber specific.
I bought this instead: Universal Powder Through Expander http://www.powderfunnels.com/ . It looks like they have gone up $5 in price since I ordered mine a year ago.

Any specific reason why you are buying a second powder measure? I think you could ditch that and save another $58. Also realize for your LNL unless you are actuating the power measure by hand, you will only have 1 "Case Activated Powder Drop" that you would have to switch out between the two hoppers which is only 2 screws. http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/5946
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/231522/hornady-quick-change-powder-die

I have not used the cam lock bullet puller but I believe you need specific collets for the diameter bullet you are pulling and that can add up fast.
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Like finding a booger in the punch bowl Empty Re: Like finding a booger in the punch bowl

Post by FWBGBS Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:09 pm

I'm not too concerned about the money. Amex has always done right by me. When I phoned in the discrepancy they were aware the business had closed.

I'm a complete dunderhead. I received my PowderFunnel last week. I thought it was used in conjuction with the drop expanders. Also, the PDXs I saw on Ultimatereloader so I (wrongly) figured I needed them. I very appreciate the heads up Bones. I'll nix them all.

The second measurer (sp) was hinted to me from a friend. He mentioned when I start reloading rifle it will come in handy?

Lastly, the puller was a toss up. I browsed other boards and found maybe 65% more loaders prefer that over the kinetic models. You are dead on about the collets.
I guess I'll nix that too.

Thanks Bones. You're quite accomplished at saving me money. Smile
FWBGBS
FWBGBS

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:19 pm

Having a second measure isnt a bad thing, but as you can tell I dont like spending extra money. The measure is very easy to adjust and comes with 2 rotors (one for handgun and one for rifle) for quick changes that way. If you would like one on the bench for hand throwing charges that would be cool, i've had one in my Wish List for over a year now.

Two things I don't have that I thought would be cool are the Hornady Powder Measure Micrometer Metering Assemblies. Same as the metering assemblies that the measure comes with just has a micrometer adjustment for quick dialing of charges. Only thing that sucks is they are specific to handgun or rifle.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/425241/hornady-lock-n-load-powder-measure-rifle-micrometer-metering-assembly

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/615914/hornady-lock-n-load-powder-measure-micrometer-for-handgun-rotor-and-metering-assembly
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:24 pm

I made do with a kinetic "hammer" type bullet puller for close to 30 years. But i have since gotten both the Hornady and RCBS collet pullers. Got the Hornady because I was tired of whacking the hammer and later the RCBS because it was in an estate sale i won. any way If I have bullets i want to keep in pristine condition I use the Hammer. If I just want to break down some loads I use the collets. They both have their place and both are handy. The collets are a lot easier to use but mark your bullets.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by FWBGBS Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:26 pm

OK, I made the necessary adjustments to my future order:

Like finding a booger in the punch bowl Loading

Since my new total is quite a bit less I'll add the powder micrometer to accompany my next order through Midway.

Like finding a booger in the punch bowl Micro

I thank you both for the help.
FWBGBS
FWBGBS

Back to top Go down

Post by fletch_medic Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:29 pm

FWBGBS wrote:Thanks Bones. You're quite accomplished at saving me money. Smile

AKA, tight wad!
fletch_medic
fletch_medic

Back to top Go down

Post by fatbeeman Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:10 pm

seems like I would order a 45 set from lee good stuff anf it comes with a factory crimp die around 30.00 total. but everyone has there favorites.
Don

fatbeeman

http://www.DixieBeeSupply.com

Back to top Go down

Post by FWBGBS Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:23 pm

?? Tight wad ?? You guys are ruthless! Razz

---------

I previously asked the loaded question, "Which brand of dies to purchase."
I was already walking down the Hornady road but wanted confirmation on my chosen route.
I'm meticulous/fastidious to a fault (it drives my wife nuts). If I had to mix and match press parts it would undoubtedly send me into cardiac arrest. Wink
FWBGBS
FWBGBS

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:27 pm

fletch_medic wrote:
FWBGBS wrote:Thanks Bones. You're quite accomplished at saving me money. Smile

AKA, tight wad!

says the guy who always lets me buy lunch Razz

congrats FWBGBS. can't wait to see you get it all setup.
if you havent seen it already check out the topic here http://www.atgreloading.com/t908-homemade-lnl-upgrade-cleaning-rod-case?highlight=homemade where I show how to make a homemade bullet tray holder.
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by FWBGBS Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:44 pm

Thank you Bones.

Looking now.

FWBGBS
FWBGBS

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:38 pm

fatbeeman wrote:seems like I would order a 45 set from lee good stuff anf it comes with a factory crimp die around 30.00 total. but everyone has there favorites.
Don

ya but with the hornady dies you get free bullets
Travis
Travis

Back to top Go down

Post by george457d Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:56 pm

Yehaw
Hornady = Free bullets

But Lee has a better crimp
george457d
george457d

Back to top Go down

Post by fatbeeman Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:16 pm

I know free bullets but I cast lead most the time. I personaly like the lee stuff.
Don

fatbeeman

http://www.DixieBeeSupply.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:42 pm

Personally, I own the Hornady Bullet Puller that mounts in the press. Yes you have to buy specific caliber collets, but I don't load for that many. I love mine. I love mine to death and if anything ever happens to it, I will buy another one.

I do like a kinetic style and use that if only there is like one or a small amount to pull as a test. I do not make it a habbit to screw up large amounts, however, I have purchased at auctions and still do everyonce in a while large lots of unknown rounds just laid in boxes and it helps to salvage componants in a rush. Plus I have Lee's intro press mounted just for the puller so it is always at the ready.

I do love Lee dies, but the free bullets from Hornady brings the price of their dies down greatly. I am slowly replacing my dies to Hornady...
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kcatto Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:47 am

lee makes good dies for the money and hands down their crimp dies are the best... just my opinion.
kcatto
kcatto

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down