Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ruger Blackhawk

+3
hawcer
RemMan700
Daywalker
7 posters

Go down

Ruger Blackhawk Empty Ruger Blackhawk

Post by Daywalker Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:49 am

I am looking to hopefully soon replace my Ruger Super Blackhawk. My delima this time, is having the 7.5" barrel over the standard length really noticeable? I do miss my 44 magnum.

If you had our choice between standard length, or going with the 7.5", which way would you go and why?

Thanks in advance.
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Ruger Blackhawk Empty Re: Ruger Blackhawk

Post by RemMan700 Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:42 am

I would choose the 7.5 barrel because I would want to use it for hunting. The long barrel Super Blackhawk Hunter model has the scope rings attach to the barrel.

If you want to primarily target shoot and dont plan on hunting with it why not just get the .357 as it will be cheaper and more enjoyable to shoot.
RemMan700
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:02 am

If you plan on hunting or shooting longer ranges with it...go with the longest barrel available.

If you have no preference....look up and see which one retains a higher resale value.

I like the "Hunter 7.5" version myself...But the standard does come in barrel lengths of 4.62",5.5", 7.5" and 10.5" and in blued or stainless and all about the same price.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:24 am

I havn't gave much thought on huntin with it. If I was in an area to hunt with a revolver, I would opt to use my Winchester Model 94 and carry the revolver as a back up plan.

I truly loved the super blackhawk I once had, traded it off and informed the gun shop about the problem with the sites. It appears to Ruger that someone had tried to use the scope base and forced it into the channel widening it causing the sites to move with every shot. Pretty would need a new frame. The guy at the gunshop said it was no problem to him, gave me 350.0 twards trade on the Ruger SR9C that was stolen. I still have my reloading equipment for 44 magnum, just no cases atm lol...

I am looking at getting a western style leather belt with holster for it as well.

So, in this essence, I guess a man could say that a couple inches more does make a difference?
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:34 am

If you are going for the western look and plan to carry it on a belt...the 5.5" would be perfect. I don't like how the 5.5" has a fluted cylinder, I think it takes away from the classic look.

I think I'd get tired of having a long barreled revolver hanging from my waist for any long period of time.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:29 am

I am a fan of a hog leg. Definitely the long barrel. Longer site radius more accuracy.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:08 am

Well, I am not sure it is going t happen. Went to talk to my dealer yesterday to see what they had or could get in. Seems that the last blackhawk I bought, I got a really good deal. The price I am looking at now is 540.00 out the door. Not sure the wife is gonna let go.

Now, they had a really nice looking Heritage .357 revolver. Felt good in the hands. Of course, I did not ask them to cut the cable tie off so I could turn the cylinder or work the hammer. I will do that when I got cash in hand.

Now the question, who has delt with Heritage before?

Ruger Blackhawk Images10
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EdgarEg Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:21 pm

Daywalker wrote:So, in this essence, I guess a man could say that a couple inches more does make a difference?
No, but a woman would.
EdgarEg
EdgarEg

Back to top Go down

Post by Sasquatch-1 Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:07 am

The SBH sounds like a good thing to ask Mrs Claus for. I would hold out till I could afford what I want, not a substitute.
Sasquatch-1
Sasquatch-1

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:16 pm

I completely agree. This won't be a substitute at all. The Backhawk won't be anytime soon, prob be around November before I could get it at that price.

The heritage, it is .357, however, they also have available 45lc. I want a 45LC as well. The price is really good I think around 360.00. That I can do this week. I know we are only talkin around 180.00 difference in price, however, there are other things that we need to take care of and a couple items the wife wants. This isn't from our paycheck. Living from paycheck to paycheck from not working for a year, it would take a while to save up that extra 180.00. I have a settlement coming to us in November and then I could get the SBH to replace the one I used to have....
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:12 pm

Well, went back today and did some looking around. The wife went with me. I was going to just go ahead and order the SBH, however, the wife ended up looking at another .40 caliber to replace hers which was stolen. So, she got it and I went ahead with the Heritage in .357/.38 5.5" bb revolver. I will get the SBH at a later date.
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sasquatch-1 Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:14 pm

Gotta keep the missus happy
Sasquatch-1
Sasquatch-1

Back to top Go down

Post by RemMan700 Tue May 01, 2012 8:12 am

Daywalker wrote: Well, went back today and did some looking around. The wife went with me. I was going to just go ahead and order the SBH, however, the wife ended up looking at another .40 caliber to replace hers which was stolen. So, she got it and I went ahead with the Heritage in .357/.38 5.5" bb revolver. I will get the SBH at a later date.

Pic's or it didnt happen! Very Happy
RemMan700
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Tue May 01, 2012 9:00 am

Congrats on the new six shooter DW...and on the wifes new 40.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Tue May 01, 2012 10:34 am

RemMan700 wrote:
Daywalker wrote: Well, went back today and did some looking around. The wife went with me. I was going to just go ahead and order the SBH, however, the wife ended up looking at another .40 caliber to replace hers which was stolen. So, she got it and I went ahead with the Heritage in .357/.38 5.5" bb revolver. I will get the SBH at a later date.

Pic's or it didnt happen! Very Happy

Pics are forthcoming (as if you need to see them again RemMan!!!) LOL
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Tue May 01, 2012 3:48 pm

Congrats on the new purchase, still a shame some jerk stole your guns.

I have a 10.5 SBH .44 that I absolutely love to shoot. I wear it in a very non-tradition nylon bandolier accross my shoulders attached to my belt front and rear.

I'll get the misses to take some pics of the SBH. She calls it the cartoon gun because it reminds here of Peter Rabbit with the long barrel.

I am not able to chase the deer now, so I get a comfy seat and wait for something to wander my way.

At the outdoor range I can hit the steel 300 yard gong all day with the SBH. I am still working on hitting the 500 yard gong as often, I need some more practice.

Hmm, if the rain lets off maybe I'll go ring some steel.

scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down