Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Decent low dollar scope?

+4
tripples
Reload3006
XbonesX
hawcer
8 posters

Go down

Decent low dollar scope? Empty Decent low dollar scope?

Post by hawcer Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:59 am

I'm looking for a decent low dollar scope...since I'll be running short of cash on this rifle project. I'm guessing in the $200 and under range. I'll eventually get something better when money allows...

This will be on a 300 blackout bolt rifle, so shooting beyond 200 yards will probably never happen. I've been looking at variable power scopes with max zoom in the 10x to 14x range. the bigger the objective the better for sight picture...but anything between 40 and 50 obj. will do. I also like Side focus as an option.

I've looked at a Weaver Kaspa and it fits the bill, but can't find any reviews on it.
This Kaspa scope:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Decent low dollar scope? Empty Re: Decent low dollar scope?

Post by XbonesX Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:06 pm

About 2 years ago I went with a Vortex Crossfire. I liked the look of it, had heard good things about Vortex, very favorable reviews on the scope, high magnification (6-24x), and it was on sale for $99. I convinced Fletch to buy one too. At first the scope worked great, good clarity at 100, seemed to track nice, got lots of questions about it at the range.

Then the problems started. Fletch busted his first one in under 20 rounds, second one lasted about 40 on a 308. While Vortex warranty did cover them, we found out they weren't made in America like we were lead to believe. I see Vortex website has now taken off their stuff about being an American company. Past 100 yards the scope gets noticeably blurry, to the point I couldn't focus on a 1" square and my groups opened up big time.

I switched back to a Nikon and couldn't be happier.
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:34 pm

Speaking of Nikon...about the only option in that price range is the prostaff w/BDC. That could be another choice.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:48 pm

I've heard good things about the Prostaff, but have not used one. I have 2 Monarch's w/ BDC, a Buckmaster, and now the M-223 w/ BDC.
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:11 pm

The nikon is probably the best bet. But wally has Leupolds in that range maybe fifty or so more.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by tripples Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:33 pm

Honestly the price range is tough. I know you have heard it before and I'm not going to say it in any disrespect but "buy once cry once" really holds power when dealing with a scope in my opinion.

I do like the Nikon scopes but feel that the lower end scopes suffer slightly. Have you looked at the Redfield line of scopes? I have a Redfield revolution and can't be more pleased with it. They are a great scope for the value, clarity is excellentnd I believe cost $189.00 or $215.00 I can't remember for sure right now. If I were in the market for another scope it would be a Nikon monarch or buckmaster, they are great for the price compaired to a Leopold.

If I were to buy an inexpensive scope I would probably just buy a Simmons or cheap Tasco or Bushnell something that will do its job and not hit the wallet hard at all.

tripples

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:38 pm

it only needs to last long enough until I can replace it with something better. But I don't want to suffer in the meantime either,LOL.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:37 pm

I'll be up in Merriville tomorrow for my sons Semi-State wrestling.. I'll have Basspro to my east and Cabelas to my west from there. I'll have a good look at those places too.

Maybe he'll come home with a trip to State and I'll come home with a new scope....I can live without the scope if he makes it through to State. Smile
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by tripples Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:54 pm

hawcer wrote:I'll be up in Merriville tomorrow for my sons Semi-State wrestling.. I'll have Basspro to my east and Cabelas to my west from there. I'll have a good look at those places too.

Maybe he'll come home with a trip to State and I'll come home with a new scope....I can live without the scope if he makes it through to State. Smile

Best of luck to you both!

tripples

Back to top Go down

Post by george457d Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:10 pm

this is what I put on my CCU ...
Do you think your recoil will be less than a .223 ?
george457d
george457d

Back to top Go down

Post by IDAce Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:08 pm

Have you looked at primary arms red dots and rifle scopes? They are a lot of bang for the buck.

just one of the ones they offer

IDAce

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:48 pm

Well, my son didn't make it into the State Wrestling tournament next week Sad

...so we headed over to Cabelas to drown our sorrows in gun stuff Smile

I ended up picking up a Nikon Prostaff 4-12x40 BDC on sale and had enough change left over to get a box of 308 bullets (Nosler 125gr ballistic tips)

There was hardly any ammo and reloading supplies on the shelves...it was sad.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:11 am

I am in the minority group. Expenive scope to me, is in the 70.00 range. I have and will continue to buy a centerpoint until it proves to be no good to me. I have on on my Grendel, had one with the .270 and it went with it, and will buy another for the .308 I am looking at getting. Again, you all are hitting way out of the ball park for me to even come out of the batter box with....
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:03 pm

Id go with a bushnell elite or NIKON prostaff I like the bushnell banner to iv got two of them very clear and reliable for 100$
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down