Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What to do with shattered POS scope?

+7
XbonesX
Reload3006
Daywalker
kcatto
dartfreak75
Pathfinder
scorge30
11 posters

Go down

What to do with shattered POS scope? Empty What to do with shattered POS scope?

Post by scorge30 Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:16 pm

I have a couple of POS cheapo made in China or thereabouts shattered scopes lying around.

Other than giving them to my kids to play with, anyone know what to do with shattered POS scopes?

Was thinking about tearing one apart to make a small microscope or an old-style sight glass or a spy glass, but thought would ask the gurus here first before I attack them with a Sawzall or bandsaw.

One (the 2.5x Vistascope) I blew both of the side caps off and you can no longer adjust the scope and the insides slap around when you shoot.

The other scope (an illuminated NCstar) has one of the inner lenses knocked cockeyed and the electric rheostat could not take the pounding of a .444 Marlin in a 14" Contender barrel.

Steve
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

What to do with shattered POS scope? Empty Re: What to do with shattered POS scope?

Post by Pathfinder Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:36 pm

Use them for mock up scope mounting. That way you can get everything in place before you make all your final tightening. Reduce the risk of scratching or maring your new expensive scopes.
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Back to top Go down

What to do with shattered POS scope? Empty Re: What to do with shattered POS scope?

Post by dartfreak75 Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:43 am

i would use it to shot at set it up with the bell facing you and see if you can shot threw it like it saving private ryan lol!
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by kcatto Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:58 am

dartfreak75 wrote:i would use it to shot at set it up with the bell facing you and see if you can shot threw it like it saving private ryan lol!

or like sgt carlos hathcock USMC scout/sniper who made that shot for real against a sniper in Vietnam....
kcatto
kcatto

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:18 am

Shooting them did cross my mind, and I have never tried the through the scope shot thing - something to ponder.

If anybody watches Mythbusters - they tried that shot. The Mythbusters experts could not get the bullet through the second set of lenses even with the rifle muzzle near touching the bell of the scope. Most of the time the bullet deflected off through the side of the scope body.

I do not know about some of you more manly guys, but if someone put a round in my scope I think I would be hesitant to chase him anymore and probably need to go change my brown trou.

That shot is also featured in the old Tom Beringer movie "Sniper."

I got to meet the old Gunny once before he passed. He was doing a lecture circuit. Although I never got to go to sniper school, I had several friends who did. I contented myself with Ranger and Sapper while I was an Infantry Scout.

I was considering Pathfinder but then I transfered to Artillery when I went to the Reserves the first time. I was asigned to the old self powered Mk110 howitzer. Talk about a beast!!!
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:35 am

Yea mythbusters finally if memorsy serves correct got a hold of a scope from that pieriod and finally made the shot. The newer scopes has so many lenses to help people see better and closer up.

Kinda makes you appreciate the marksmen back in the day that used a scope of lesser quality and outshoot the newer ones of the day.

I have a bushnell scope. I doubt a bullet will make it all the way through, however, I am going to test it against my 6.5 Grendel and see if that little baby will go through it no problem. It will be an honor to finally shoot that crappy scope. Won't be this weekend tho. Got to go to Harbor Freight and get some gear for my new mig welder I bought on sale for the black friday special on saturday...Smile
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:08 am

I do not have a 6.5 Grendel yet - so I envy you. I have wanted either an upper or a whole rig like yours for a while.

I always wanted a Mini 30 converted to 6.5 Grendel from Accuracy Systems but money is an issue right now for such an expensive toy.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I have a couple of Bushnell scopes and they are OK. Depends on the level of Bushy scope. The higher end 3200 Firelites are pretty decent, but the Banner and Sportview are a POS if you are trying to shoot past 100 yards and hit anything with any consitancy.

For an amazing lesson in scope quality look at an old WW2 era German Z4 which was the best in the field and compared to today's optics was really bad.

The Soviet PE scope and the later PU model for the 91/30 Mosin Nagant was pretty crappy even in its day, but it was made by unskilled conscripts and designed to be used by near-illiterate Soviet conscripts.

Vasiley Zaitsev was unusual for his day in that he could read and write which fitted his MOS as a Naval Clerk. In his case the rifle was mighter than the pen.

He had 242 confirmed kills at the end of the siege of Stalingrad and a price so high on his head by the German Command I bet there were some Russians considering turning him in.

Some of the methods the Russians used against the German during that diege make great reading and good techniques for those of us that have pursued man.

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter. You will meet them doing various things with resolve, but their interest rarely holds because after the other thing ordinary life is as flat as the taste of wine when the taste buds have been burned off your tongue." (Hemingway from 'On the Blue Water' in Esquire, April 1936)

Last edited by scorge30 on Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:11 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Correct Hemingway quote)
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:12 am

funny that a marine sniper put a round through a NVA snipers scope documented and verified? where was the myth in that? just sayin
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:28 am

another thing that im sure the myth busters would try and fail at that I personally have seen done by my grandfather that I have never been able to do nor have i ever seen anyone else do is strike a match with a 22lr
i always shoot off the match or miss it completely i am sure there is a trick to it but he would never say what it was LOL but he did it
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:32 pm

kcatto wrote:
dartfreak75 wrote:i would use it to shot at set it up with the bell facing you and see if you can shot threw it like it saving private ryan lol!

or like sgt carlos hathcock USMC scout/sniper who made that shot for real against a sniper in Vietnam....
didnt know that thanks !! Laughing
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:34 pm

i had a old tasco that i was gonna try it on but when i moved i lost it have no clue what happend to it!
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:16 pm

I have been saving old and crappy scope rings to practice lapping. I want to try it on something I don't care about before I attempt it on $50-100 rings.

as for the scopes i'd shoot em like the others have suggested. 50 cal
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by RemMan700 Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:32 pm

Use it to burn ants! Very Happy
RemMan700
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:06 pm

I either always lap my scope rings or have my 'smith line ream the rings to prevent scope damage.

I might give one of these to the girls to play with and I might shoot the other one for fun or tear it apart with a Sawzall to see what is inside.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by kcatto Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:46 pm

scorge30 wrote:I either always lap my scope rings or have my 'smith line ream the rings to prevent scope damage.

I might give one of these to the girls to play with and I might shoot the other one for fun or tear it apart with a Sawzall to see what is inside.

on the last scope I mounted.... I bedded the scope on the rings... works really good.....

I found the best scope mount it is a Raptor machined from one piece of aluminum..... really sweet
kcatto
kcatto

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:56 pm

I just ripped a Bushnell Sportview off my Remington 700 .270 that turned out to be a POS. It was just fine when I put it on there, but somehow just went bad? Last time I shot it, it was dead on zero and put it in the gun cabinet......there it sat until 3 days before our rifle season for deer, got it out and wouldn't group for anything.
I stole the 3x9x40 Nikon Prostaff off my 22-250 to use during deer season and fired one shot, one kill then put it back on my 22-250 where it belongs.
I hate doing that, but poor people have poor ways.
My .270 only gets shot a few times a year unless I'm developing loads for it, otherwise it's a safe queen.
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:16 am

I got tired of playing musical scopes but I cannot afford real quality glass on all my guns.

As I catch up and get better financial solvency I am replacing my crappy scopes with better glass my preference being Leupold and Burris.

My 338-378 Wby wears a Nightforce scope and thank God my wife has no idea how much I paid for that scope because she would probably insert it somewhere painful.

I love my Nightforce scope but will probably never get another chance to buy one again. My worry is I will die and my wife will sell the scope for what I told her I paid for it.

I have a couple of the old T/C scopes and they are decent. I also just bought my first Nikon scope, so we will see how that scope survives the pounding of a Encore pistol.

I prefer Leupold scopes as they have been the best to survive the crazy recoil of some of the larger calibers like .444 Marlin and .375 JDJ. Both barrels wear 4x Leupold M8 scopes which have never failed me.

I finally acquired a Burris LRS scope a few months ago for my .357 Rem Max pistol barrel so we will see how it holds up. I have not shot that barrel since getting it back from EA Brown with its JP howitzer muzzle break.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by CMAsailor Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:49 am

kcatto wrote:

+1 kuddos kcatto
CMAsailor
CMAsailor

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:51 pm

I ended up giving one to the kids to paly with & I shot the other one with my 6.5x284 but the damn thing was ripped off the stand despite a 2x4 with 4 C clamps. The scope went out into the balckberries somewhere & I have been looking for it each time I am at the range.

In my scope I was able to watch my round hit & shatter the front lens, but I think I should have shot a non-expanding bullet rather than the 129 gr Barnes TMX I shot.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelman707 Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:26 pm

BLOW IT UP!! go to youtube and search hot shot vs washer machine, they put 4lbs of hotshot in a washer machine but instead of hot shot vs washer it will be hotshot vs pos scope! Twisted Evil you can get it right here sgammo dot com
wheelman707
wheelman707

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down