Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

M-1 Carbine

4 posters

Go down

M-1 Carbine Empty M-1 Carbine

Post by bombnut Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:59 am

I am just getting started with reloading. And seeing that .30 carbine ammo was hard to find before December, its near impossible now. So it’s just natural to want/need to reload it.
I was pretty successful with reloading/hand loading .45, so I'm moving on/ahead. I have the dies and shell plate, shells, bullets, and primers. Just hoping someone has powder one of these days. While I'm waiting on power I decided to build some dummy rounds for practice. I just can't get the bullet to stay in place. the slightest pressure, or at least enough to measure the length and the bullet falls.
That being said, I didn't crimp the bullet. I didn't know about the crimping dies ...until last week, and they (.38, .45, and .30 carbine)are inbound time now. Will that end my woes and make me a happy reloader?
Jeff

bombnut

Back to top Go down

M-1 Carbine Empty Re: M-1 Carbine

Post by hawcer Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:37 pm

The bullet, regardless of what caliber, should never fall into the case after the case has been resized. Neck tension alone should hold the bullet in place and should be somewhat tight in the neck.

Did you have your sizing die set correctly? It seems like the neck didn't get resized at all and is at the diameter a fired case would have.

make sure the shell holder contacts the ram when full length sizing.

Reloading a 30 carbine is really not that much different that reloading a 9mm or other small handgun cartridge....it just longer. Wink

Double check your settings and get back with us....it is very possible something isn't right with your sizing die.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by george457d Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:33 pm

I see you have a L-N-L ,the PTX die is purchased sepretly
http://www.hornady.com/store/PTX-Powder-Drop-Expander-.357-1-Each2/
george457d
george457d

Back to top Go down

Post by bombnut Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:00 am

I will adjust the resizer/decapper. Thinking about it it makes sense. I checked the size when I first tried dialing it in and it seemed right as the bullet would not fit...duh, then when tring to use the expander to get the bell, it would expand to much...So starting with it sized down even more, will give the bell a chance to do what its supposed to and then bazinga....hope hope
JEFF

bombnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:07 am

the bullet should not fit when you resize on a straight walled case. First resize most dies tell you to screw them down untill the touch the shell holder then another 1//4 turn. your second die or on progressives your powder drop die is for belling the case mouth. adjust it down incrementally until your bullet will just start inside the case. third die is the bullet seat and crimp die it should be adjusted down until it roll crimps the bullet in place. how I usually set it up is by first screwing the bullet seating rod down and seating my bullet where I want it. the bullet should not be crimped in yet. then I back out the seat rod a long ways and screw the die body down until i get a good crimp then with the ram fully engaged I screw the bullet seat stem back down untill it touches the bullet release the ram and give it a slight turn maybe 1/16 turn and snug the lock nut on the stem. you should be set up and ready to rock n roll.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down