Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hand primer

5 posters

Go down

Hand primer Empty Hand primer

Post by Sasquatch-1 Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:34 am

Just received a Hornady hand primer this week. I am now trying to figure out why I waited close to 40 years to get this type of tool. I am amazed how fast I can seat 100 primers now. I was using the old Lee Auto Prime II system and was finding that I was starting to get a lot of jams. I guess I am a for real convert. What a Face Yehaw 
Sasquatch-1
Sasquatch-1

Back to top Go down

Hand primer Empty Re: Hand primer

Post by tripples Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:37 am

I have a Lee and RCBS hand primer, they are great especially if your loading on a single stage press. For years before I bought a progressive press I would sit there and size cases, then go watch TV while priming the brass. I have since bought a LNL-AP and do all my pistol ammo and 223's with it. I still use the hand primer for all other rifle ammo.

tripples

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:18 pm

I was considering buying the Hornady as I have an old RCBS one that I finally needs some parts replaced as it is jams more than it primes. It has always been a great hand primer though.

A couple years ago I bought the Lee, before the current XR version. It broke after less than 500 cases and I couldn't get them to replace it because they were no longer making it and wouldn't send me the XR.

Now I am looking seriously at the K&M Primer and Gauge. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by tripples Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:07 am

Nice tool, but a lot of money.

On your lee primer, what broke? I broke and or bent a few parts and didn't have any problems getting replacement parts. It's been a while since I got them but they had no problem taking care of it.

tripples

Back to top Go down

Post by george457d Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:16 am

tripples wrote:I have a Lee and RCBS hand primer, they are great especially if your loading on a single stage press. For years before I bought a progressive press I would sit there and size cases, then go watch TV while priming the brass. I have since bought a LNL-AP and do all my pistol ammo and 223's with it. I still use the hand primer for all other rifle ammo.

Bug 

This is great for decapping spent primers and watching Monday-Night-RAW
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
george457d
george457d

Back to top Go down

Post by Sasquatch-1 Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:43 am

XbonesX wrote:I was considering buying the Hornady as I have an old RCBS one that I finally needs some parts replaced as it is jams more than it primes. It has always been a great hand primer though.

A couple years ago I bought the Lee, before the current XR version. It broke after less than 500 cases and I couldn't get them to replace it because they were no longer making it and wouldn't send me the XR.

Now I am looking seriously at the K&M Primer and Gauge. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I looked at the 3 or 4 best selling brands and what people had to say about them. I avoided the Lee because you are not the only one who said they did not hold up. I looked at the Lyman but their long term customer service seems to lack a little. It came down to RCBS and Honady. I forget what the problem was that made me shy away from the RCBS other then it may have been a lot of people said they were somewhat time consuming to set up.

The biggest problem with the K & M that you mention above is each primer has to be loaded separately.
Sasquatch-1
Sasquatch-1

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:47 am

I have not seen a hornady hand priming tool. I like hornady products though and am sure its a good tool. I have both the old style RCBS and the new one They are pretty straight forward not too hard to set up and very reliable. I went with the RCBS years ago over the Lee because I didn't want to have to have 2 different sets of shell holders. One for the priming tool and another for the reloading press. RCBS answered that with one shell holder for both. But now you dont even need a shell holder so the new style once you get used to it is pretty good. Dont know that its better but it is pretty good and it is convenient in that you dont have to tear down a set up or buy 2 shell holders the same size.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by Sasquatch-1 Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:47 am

Reload3006 wrote:I have not seen a hornady hand priming tool. I like hornady products though and am sure its a good tool. I have both the old style RCBS and the new one They are pretty straight forward not too hard to set up and very reliable. I went with the RCBS years ago over the Lee because I didn't want to have to have 2 different sets of shell holders. One for the priming tool and another for the reloading press. RCBS answered that with one shell holder for both. But now you dont even need a shell holder so the new style once you get used to it is pretty good. Dont know that its better but it is pretty good and it is convenient in that you dont have to tear down a set  up or buy 2 shell holders the same size.

The Hornady comes with 2 trays. One is for use with Horady's shell holders and the other uses RCBS. I have used one of the Lee's shell holders with it and it works fine. It appears the biggest difference is with the size of the hole in the center of the shell holder. The Hornady tray will not fit in the RCBS shell holder.
Sasquatch-1
Sasquatch-1

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:44 am

tripples wrote:Nice tool, but a lot of money.

On your lee primer, what broke? I broke and or bent a few parts and didn't have any problems getting replacement parts. It's been a while since I got them but they had no problem taking care of it.

The handle broke. It was the 2nd part, and 3rd item overall that Lee has failed to warranty or repair for me.
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by tripples Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:05 am

XbonesX wrote:
tripples wrote:Nice tool, but a lot of money.

The handle broke. It was the 2nd part, and 3rd item overall that Lee has failed to warranty or repair for me.

As most know I'm not the biggest Lee fan, but I have always had a good experience with there customer service. I've never had a problem getting replacement parts yet. However I do need to call them about a 2 cavity mold that hasn't lined up right from new.

tripples

Back to top Go down

Post by Sasquatch-1 Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:16 am

None of my Lee molds line up straight on their own. I just tap the bottom with the 1x2 I use to open the spue plate and they are fine.
Sasquatch-1
Sasquatch-1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down