Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brass Jacketed Bullets

5 posters

Go down

Brass Jacketed Bullets Empty Brass Jacketed Bullets

Post by Jim_Fleming Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:24 pm

Guys, and Daywalker in particular, I've been getting questions about my hand made, brass jacketed, very good shooting bullets.

I don't see how to post photos, yet, on this board, but I'll post a public link into my Facebook account. This link goes to a photo of a loaded round of .223 Remington/5.56 NATO ammo that I used, eventually, to print a group of about .754" at a range of 90 yards with my Contender that has a 4x Bausch & Lombe optic on it.

Facebook image

I think you might find it interesting, at least.
Jim_Fleming
Jim_Fleming

Back to top Go down

Brass Jacketed Bullets Empty Re: Brass Jacketed Bullets

Post by Pathfinder Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:01 pm

Jim_Fleming wrote:Guys, and Daywalker in particular, I've been getting questions about my hand made, brass jacketed, very good shooting bullets.

I don't see how to post photos, yet, on this board, but I'll post a public link into my Facebook account. This link goes to a photo of a loaded round of .223 Remington/5.56 NATO ammo that I used, eventually, to print a group of about .754" at a range of 90 yards with my Contender that has a 4x Bausch & Lombe optic on it.

Facebook image

I think you might find it interesting, at least.
That looks awesome Jim!
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Back to top Go down

Post by algunjunkie Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:57 pm

Now Jim, you can't drop a bomb like that and stop. I am drooling here.

What is the jacket material, Berger, Sierra or rimfire?

I use all three when I make mine, but yours looks like it is a full metal jacket, mine are not.

algunjunkie

http://algunjunkie.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:20 pm

Excellent Jim!!! Me likey very much!!!!

Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim_Fleming Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:25 pm

LMBO! I never thought of my posts, anywhere, as dropping a bomb, please excuse me while I laugh my ass off!

I don't care to call anyone one by the name, "Junkie" it has too many negative connotations... How about if I refer to you as "AGJ" until I know your name, ok...?

AGJ, the jacket material is nothing more than a fired .22 Rim Fire case. I couldn't even tell you the brand of ammo it came from. Also AGJ the nose of the bullet is "sort of" a hollow point. The jackets weigh about 10 grains, then there is about 39 grains of a lead core in there, adding up to 49 grains. Inside the nose of the bullet, inside of the jacket, and on top of the seated core I added a tiny metal cup that is sort of like a fired primer cup but taller and a .093" radius on the lower end, and open on the top. These steel cups are .187 in diameter, fitting very nicely inside of the nearly finished bullet. In profile it's sort of like the capital letter ---> U <--- but as I stated it's a round cup shape.

The beauty of using these steel cups is that the steel offers enough resistance to nose forming that I almost never get the nose wrinkles that you've seen if you don't use annealed .22 RF cases. Closing the forward end of the cup does in fact make the U shape become sort of like a tear drop inside... The other benefit as you can see is that the nice steel cup does in fact form a nicely pointed nose profile, nicely closed up, very much resembling a hollow point when done, sitting on the bench or in a loaded round as I linked to.

A .22 RF jacket, properly annealed, pure lead core, are together absolute dynamite for being frangible. But then add that 3 grain steel teardrop shaped cup, and I tell you, I'm honestly not sure what would happen to a coyote! For sure you're gonna have his undivided attention!

Yes, I've reversed these cups in the past, and after a fashion they've worked, but I like the sort of hollow point look much better.

I've fired a LOT of these bullets in my Contender and even more in my ammo eaters, I have yet to find any thing larger than a wee grain of yellow or grey colored dust. I can't find the steel cups, yet, either.

Jim

algunjunkie wrote:Now Jim, you can't drop a bomb like that and stop. I am drooling here.

What is the jacket material, Berger, Sierra or rimfire?

I use all three when I make mine, but yours looks like it is a full metal jacket, mine are not.
Jim_Fleming
Jim_Fleming

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim_Fleming Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:25 pm

B. & T. thanks, it's appreciated...

Jim

Daywalker wrote:Excellent Jim!!! Me likey very much!!!!

Jim_Fleming
Jim_Fleming

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:29 pm

Jim I also swage my own I use rim fire jackets too tell me more about these cups do you make them yourself or where do you get them?
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim_Fleming Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:41 pm

06, I had a lot of them in supply... LOTS of them... I got them on a whim from a former employer. Just a sort of "hedging my bets" kind of deal... I left them 12 years ago. Now they're closed, permanently.

I think, (note I said think) I can find more, from my current employer, but this time I'd have to pay for them, (unlike last time when I got them for _free_) 06 lemme check and see what I can find out about getting those steel cups... (At work we call them freeze plugs, or insulating plugs) I'll check and see...

I had about 5000 of them but they're all used up now. Perhaps we can work some kind of thing out... I don't know, yet.

Reload3006 wrote:Jim I also swage my own I use rim fire jackets too tell me more about these cups do you make them yourself or where do you get them?
Jim_Fleming
Jim_Fleming

Back to top Go down

Post by algunjunkie Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:00 am

Outstanding work!

And thanks for the explanation. I always love seeing what others are doing.

For the coyotes around here I use a rimfire jacket and WW lead that I cast into cores and swage them to 50 grains. Then I either use a flatbase or RBT set up and apply a 6 ogive. Every now and then I get a fold for about 1% total rejection. I then trim the meplats, load and wait for the the pesky vermin to arrive.

The WW lead is harder and drives a little deeper before literally exploding inside the animal, a quick clean kill. That and I have a bunch of it and no pure lead to speak of, cheap but it works real good. The best group I have shot so far with them is right at 3/4 MOA but with load development I could get it to do better. The coyotes don't care, they have all but stopped coming around. Shocked

Oh and most folks call me John.

Last edited by algunjunkie on Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : bad grammer and spelling)

algunjunkie

http://algunjunkie.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim_Fleming Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:10 am

Thanks John. It's appreciated.

Re: Coyotes, yep even tho they're pests, varmints, vermin, etc., they're entitled to respect and humane treatment. After all they're among the most intelligent animals in the wild.
Jim_Fleming
Jim_Fleming

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim_Fleming Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:18 am

06, I did place an inquiry regarding these cups. We'll have wait and see about an answer.
Jim_Fleming
Jim_Fleming

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:05 am

thaks
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content