Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So what are your go to bullets?

+13
Guitarfreak189
Reload3006
wiederladertv
Mohunter
hawcer
algunjunkie
infantryjohn49
CMAsailor
mkrueger
DanRickard
Daywalker
XbonesX
RemMan700
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

So what are your go to bullets? Empty So what are your go to bullets?

Post by RemMan700 Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:19 am

I was just wondering what everyones "go to bullets" are and why. For my AR's I like to mostly use the 55gr Hornady V-Max I find them very accurate, consistant, and very affordable. I use them for target mostly. I have also had pretty good luck with 65gr Sierra game kings. So far I have just used them for target but plan on them being my main AR-15 hunting round.

For my Remington 700 VS in .308 I have been mostly using Sierra 165gr Game Kings and Sierra 150gr Pro Hunters for both target and hunting.

For my Glock 27 I was using Hornady FMJ's but have decided that for target shooting I am switching to the Rainer and Berry's plated bullets because they shoot well and are a little cheaper.
RemMan700
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

So what are your go to bullets? Empty Re: So what are your go to bullets?

Post by XbonesX Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:54 am

AR I like 69gr SMK

22-250 I like 55gr Nosler BT and 52/53gr SMK

XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by RemMan700 Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:32 pm

You should play around with the 65gr SGK's some time. They are profiled just like the SMK's which gives them a dual purpose and I think they are usually a little cheaper.
RemMan700
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:54 pm

For my .270, I pretty much made up my mind that I am going to stick with the Nosler BT 130 grainers. These will be good for hunting. I will use them at the range as well. Might as well practice with what I am going to shoot.

For the Grendel, I have pretty much decided that the Nosler BT 120 grainers will be the way to go. Great reports on stopping deer in their tracks and have been put right up against the Lapua 123 Scenars. Waiting to test that theroy.

For my 9mm, pretty much cast boolits as its just a plinker toy and I don't want to spend a ton of dough on it.

The 45 and the 44, well, both cast and my swaged bullets. Got to save money where I can to feed the .270 and grendel LOL....

When all else fells, good old glue sticks Yehaw
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DanRickard Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:21 pm

45 acp 200 gr cast for target, then i swage 225's.. i like them better than any other commercial bullet so far.

for my ar15, it likes 55 gr bullets.. i tend to get better accuracy with 55gr over the lighter bullets or heavier.. sierra 55 sp's are great, vmax's work well too.

30-06, i run 110's for target, then 185 SP's for hunting.

DanRickard
DanRickard

Back to top Go down

Post by mkrueger Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:34 pm

RemMan700 wrote:You should play around with the 65gr SGK's some time. They are profiled just like the SMK's which gives them a dual purpose and I think they are usually a little cheaper.

Have you ever hunted with these Game Kings? I need a bullet that does a little better on the killing aspect.
mkrueger
mkrueger

Back to top Go down

Post by DanRickard Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:12 pm

mkrueger wrote:
RemMan700 wrote:You should play around with the 65gr SGK's some time. They are profiled just like the SMK's which gives them a dual purpose and I think they are usually a little cheaper.

Have you ever hunted with these Game Kings? I need a bullet that does a little better on the killing aspect.

the game kings arnt to bad, i've done some ballistics gell shots with them, and hollow points, soft points, as well as vmax's. they have some great penatration.

however, i sware by my home swaged 223's, they went 4 feet through ballistics gell, and had a fragmentation every 3 inches, and they still kept going. as well as having a 1/2 inch less drop at 100 yards, compared to the rest of the factory's.

but when i comes to which factory bullet is the better bullet, i really did like the game kings, then my next fav was the vmax's.

DanRickard
DanRickard

Back to top Go down

Post by CMAsailor Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:53 pm

I wont hunt with anything less than barnes tsx anymore. there's no question to me if they'll do what they should cause they always do. havent had that kind of results with anything else.
granted they cost a lot but i wait till they're on sale and buy a couple hundred or more on sale and wait till they're on sale again to buy more.

I am dreaming of a sharps though and that will pump out boolits, not condoms or coppers, when i can afford it but if a 500grain chunk of lead with a fp starting at 458 don't knock it down... the second one will. still dreaming about the sharps though... till then i'm spitting out barnes tsx
CMAsailor
CMAsailor

Back to top Go down

Post by infantryjohn49 Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:10 pm

For my 30.06 I faver the 165 grain nosler bal. tip, For my 270 the sierra,
150 grain game kings,For my winchester 94 I use the 150 grain speer hot core flat nose,For my Marlin 30.30 I use the combimed techn. 150 grain st.
For my AR15 I like the 55grain sierra hp. bt. For my Blackhawk in 44 mag. I
prefer the Hornady 240 grain xtp hp. Whew I better stop there, I do not want the feds at my door.LOL
infantryjohn49
infantryjohn49

Back to top Go down

Post by algunjunkie Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:00 am

for my AR and 22-250 I make my own
For the target rifles it is SMK or Hornady
I cast or swage my own pistol bullets

algunjunkie

http://algunjunkie.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:34 am

In general...My go-to company has always been Hornady for bullets. But I'm cheap and I'll try anything I can find a deal on. I use Hornady's(xtp's, Amax,Vmax,fmj) in everything but what I mention below.

For now My goto bullets for my 223 are 69gr Nosler Custom Comps...They have given me the best groups by far. I don't hunt with it...so they are all I need. I would love to use Amax bullets in this...but they don't make them in the weight I want.

I love my cast 230gr TC's from my lee mold for my 45acp's...I don't buy 45 bullets anymore Wink

I am still milling through a box(500) of Sierra 168gr match kings....I get great groups out of my buddies 30-06 with them, but have had no luck in my Cetme....as it turns out, this may be a scope problem.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:38 am

You all know I'm a Nosler fan, for all my rifles my bullet of choice will be made by Nosler....mostly the BT's. They just seem to be the most accurate available to me.

I also like the Hornady V-Max bullets, for .243 especially. The 87gr. V-Max is very accurate and I wouldn't hesitate to fling one of those at just about anything around here. If I was to use it for deer hunting or med. sized game I would go with my load with 95gr. Nosler BT's because of the heavier weight and it shoots cloverleafs all day long.
I haven't tried the V-Max in my 22-250 yet, everytime I try to find some they are out of stock so it must be real popular for this caliber? That's a good indication that they shoot well in the 22 caliber rifles.

I have tried Sierras and some will shoot decent, but others won't no matter how I try to tune the load some bullet weights/cal. just will not shoot for me. My dad loves the 130gr. SGK's for his .270 so I have to keep a box of those around for his deer hunting loads.
I did have fair success with the 80gr. blitz king varmint bullet in my .243 and they shot really good, killed 1 coyote with that bullet and it was dead right in it's tracks.......never even twitched.

A new favorite of mine is the 50 and 55gr. Barnes TSX for 22-250, I was really impressed by it's performance on antelope in my uncle's TC Icon.
2 shots....2 kills.......can't argue with that, but I have yet to try them in my Stevens/Savage 200 22-250, but it's coming!
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by RemMan700 Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:43 am

I find the V-Max bullets to be very consistent. I always buy my .224 V-Max in the 250 count boxes from cabelas and they are pretty cheap. Mo I used to have a Remington 700 in .270 and it was a stinkin tack driver with the 130gr Sierra Game Kings.
RemMan700
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by wiederladertv Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:44 am

For all my handguns and my shotgun I cast my own.
My Remington 700 shots nice groups with Sierra 168 HP-Match bullets over 42 Grs of Vihtavouri N140 but Speer bullets will work too.
wiederladertv
wiederladertv

http://www.wiederlader.tv

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:20 pm

RemMan700 wrote:I find the V-Max bullets to be very consistent. I always buy my .224 V-Max in the 250 count boxes from cabelas and they are pretty cheap. Mo I used to have a Remington 700 in .270 and it was a stinkin tack driver with the 130gr Sierra Game Kings.
You don't happen to still have that load data do ya?
I can get decent accuracy with my dad's rifle using the 130gr. SGK's, but not what I would call tack driving accurate. Of course I used H4350 and it's not the best powder in my opinion, I finally got it all used up in some "SHTF" rounds with FMJ bullets........ya just never know? I don't think I'll be buying any more of that. I've got some RL15 I'm going to start testing with and I want to try the new IMR8028 and see how that goes.

I use Varget for my 130gr. Nosler BT's in my .270 and they are very accurate.

My .243 and 22-250 also really like Varget
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:25 pm

wiederladertv wrote:For all my handguns and my shotgun I cast my own.
My Remington 700 shots nice groups with Sierra 168 HP-Match bullets over 42 Grs of Vihtavouri N140 but Speer bullets will work too.
Do you have any loads worked up with hunting bullets for the Rem. 700 or just match loads?
Us 700 guys need to stick together.

Also......Off topic.....but did you all hear about the lawsuit against Remington for the 700's going off accidently? Something about some mom accidently killing her son while she was unloading the Rem. 700 and it went off by itself.
I say that if you have it pointed in a safe direction and not toward your son's direction that could have been an avoidable mishap. Tragic to say the least, but things like that would never happen if people would pay attention to where the muzzle of their firearm is pointed. Unsafe handling is Not the manufacturer's fault, that's all on the user.
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by RemMan700 Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:35 pm

Mohunter wrote:
RemMan700 wrote:I find the V-Max bullets to be very consistent. I always buy my .224 V-Max in the 250 count boxes from cabelas and they are pretty cheap. Mo I used to have a Remington 700 in .270 and it was a stinkin tack driver with the 130gr Sierra Game Kings.
You don't happen to still have that load data do ya?
I can get decent accuracy with my dad's rifle using the 130gr. SGK's, but not what I would call tack driving accurate. Of course I used H4350 and it's not the best powder in my opinion, I finally got it all used up in some "SHTF" rounds with FMJ bullets........ya just never know? I don't think I'll be buying any more of that. I've got some RL15 I'm going to start testing with and I want to try the new IMR8028 and see how that goes.

I use Varget for my 130gr. Nosler BT's in my .270 and they are very accurate.

My .243 and 22-250 also really like Varget

No data for that one. It shot .3 groups with Federal Premium factory ammo loaded with 130gr SGK's.
RemMan700
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by RemMan700 Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:36 pm

Also......Off topic.....but did you all hear about the lawsuit against Remington for the 700's going off accidently? Something about some mom accidently killing her son while she was unloading the Rem. 700 and it went off by itself.
I say that if you have it pointed in a safe direction and not toward your son's direction that could have been an avoidable mishap. Tragic to say the least, but things like that would never happen if people would pay attention to where the muzzle of their firearm is pointed. Unsafe handling is Not the manufacturer's fault, that's all on the user.

I watched the CNBC show and I think they just needed a story. Go check out Remingtons response vids on their website.
RemMan700
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:44 pm

wow thats like asking if you have more than one wife (humor folks) which one is best. Hornady used to be my go to bullets I really like the V max but now that I am swagging my own I guess it has to be mine. Very Happy
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:36 pm

Reload3006 wrote:wow thats like asking if you have more than one wife (humor folks) which one is best. Hornady used to be my go to bullets I really like the V max but now that I am swagging my own I guess it has to be mine. Very Happy

What ya swaging there??
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:45 pm

Well as of right now im swaging pure lead 9mm bullets I have a rebated boat tail .224 die set on order from richard crobin I have his walnut hill press. which by the way i would recomend to anyone.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:48 pm

I would not mind having a walnut hill press, right now I have to stick with my Rock Chucker for waging..
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guitarfreak189 Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:22 pm

For target 308 and 22250 I use 168 and 53 SMK. My AR likes 55 Vmaxes. @70 hunting rifle likes either 150 or 130 SGKs with 4895. I usually use Hornady or Sierra as my main bullet and have lead and reanier balistics too.

Guitarfreak189

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:59 pm

Welcome Reload3006.
Your just about 60miles north of me, I'm down here in Park Hills, Mo. just north of Farmington about 8 miles. Glad to see another Missouri boy joining the mix. The Virginians and Aussies just about have me out numbered. Wink

I'll say again that I'm a Nosler guy, but I did learn one thing about the Ballistic Tips after taking my 8pt. with a 130gr. from my .270 this year, the lead core will seperate from the jacket if heavy bone is encountered.
My shot entered just behind the shoulder and high, clipping the underside of the spine and I found the slug under the skin on the opposite side behind the shoulder. It was an instant kill shot and didn't tear up any of the meat, but when I split the hide and popped the slug out it was still entact. After examining it the lead core fell out of the jacket in the palm of my hand.

I'm sure that isn't an issue on whitetail deer because by the time the slug would have come apart, all the damage needed would have already occured. So it did what I had hoped it would do, and I can't complain about that. If I were to hunt dangerous or large game, which I probably never will, I would opt for a stronger constructed bullet like the Accubond or Partition, but for now I really love the accuracy I'm getting from the ballistic tip and it performed perfectly by penetrating all it needed to in order to get the job done. I do plan on working up a load with the Accubonds and also some Barnes TSX bullets and try those on my next hunt.
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:57 pm

ya know and i really hate to admit it. but i have had fantastic results with bulk Remington spcl bullets in 6mm .243 I know they aent glamorous and all that but that savage .243 loves em clover leaf accurate at 100 Yehaw im using ww primers and imr 4350 just a fantastic round not as hot as some but when your shooting groups like it is you cant carp. also if you look at the critters thread you can see that it will do its job on a pretty good size deer. Thanks Mo its always nice to find fellow Missourians who reload hunt etc. I work here at Boeing in St. Louis then head for West Plains for the weekend
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next