Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First gun?

+25
tripples
Mohunter
Heml0ck
EdgarEg
billarrington
dartfreak75
Reload3006
kcatto
wiederladertv
Danziger
BigAgitator
fusil56300
mrmat4570
Aussie
brow_tines
RichBirdHunter
CMAsailor
infantryjohn49
sdsviper
Pathfinder
DanRickard
XbonesX
hawcer
Daywalker
RemMan700
29 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

First gun? - Page 3 Empty first gun

Post by Ironworker78 Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:32 am

My first gun was/is a 10/22. Bought it from a guy that I was working with. He said come out to my car I keep it in the trunk all the time. The before the trunk opened price was 140.00 (with scope, in 1998). After the trunk opened I made an offer of 40.00, as the trunk had, at some point, filled with water. The barrel and half the action were submerged, including scope. We settled on 60.00 and he included two 30rnd magazines and lots of ammo. I refinished the stock, put a new barrel on it and cleaned up the action, new springs throughout, but the scope was still good and is still on the rifle. I have since painted a stock pink (not the original) and given it to my wife.

Ironworker78

Back to top Go down

First gun? - Page 3 Empty Re: First gun?

Post by Ironworker78 Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:36 am

clearly posted in wrong place, sorry.

Ironworker78

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:52 am

Well, bad for him and good for you.

Don't worry about where it's posted, Daywalker will move this if he wants to. Since your new here I'm sure you'll be forgiven. Very Happy

I've only owned a couple of 22's and found out long ago that I'm a bolt guy and not a semi auto guy. I've had nothing but trouble with every semi auto gun that I've ever owned rifles and shotguns alike. I've got a Glock 20 that hasn't given me any serious problems yet, so I guess I can get along with it ok? But all my rifles are bolt guns, and my shotguns are all pump action.
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:43 pm

Thanks for sharing Ironworker!!

Don't worry about posting in the wrong place. A couple clicks, and the mods and I can have them in the right place no harm done....
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:23 pm

My first gun was a Winchester single shot 20ga shotgun. still have it. there has been several squirrels Rabbits quail doves and yep even a pheasant put on the table with that little gun. +1 Opossum that my grandmother begged me not to make her cook. and trust me I never wanted to eat another it was the greasiest most disgusting thing I ever tried to eat in my entire life.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by wallenba Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:36 pm

Mine was a Savage model 24, .22/.410 over under. Lots of squirrels went into the chili pot from that one. I passed it on to my younger brother when I turned 18. It was not among his possesions when he passed away. I don't know what became of it.
wallenba
wallenba

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:29 pm

My first gun is a badly worn US Army issue honest-to-God Colt that my Grandfather carried in WW2 with the Seabees.

I got it in 1982 and it came with the warning to never, EVER put a round in the chamber with the safety off or fire the gun with more than one round in the chamber.

I asked my father one day why Grandfather's .45 should never be loaded with more than one round and he took me around the back of the barn to show me.

My father put three rounds in the magazine and dropped the slide. He fired the first round and the pistol promptly cranked off the other two.

I realized my Granfather had given me a submachine gun!!

In reality the sear and internals were so worn that the pistol would fire several times. Sometimes it will fire only one sometimes 2-5 rounds before stopping.

I still have the old Colt .45 and it is still in its state as I received it from my Grandfather.

It has no finish left, and the grips are cracked, but every time I see it I remember my crazy Grandfather, whom I miss every day. He was my shooting mentor and taught me to hunt with infinate patience.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:03 am

that sounds ledgendary scorge id love to see some pics of that gun if you every get the time i love them old colts
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by wallenba Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:41 am

scorge30 wrote:My first gun is a badly worn US Army issue honest-to-God Colt that my Grandfather carried in WW2 with the Seabees.

My father put three rounds in the magazine and dropped the slide. He fired the first round and the pistol promptly cranked off the other two.

I realized my Granfather had given me a submachine gun!!

I had a Wehrmact issue Polish Radom 9MM that did that. Almost cr&%%ed my pants the first time. The range officer was not happy either. I let him fire the next magazine to convince him it was not me playing around, but a defect.
wallenba
wallenba

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:59 am

I'll have to dig the old Colt .45 out - it a safe queen these days as since it is unsafe I do not want the wife (like she would ever) accidentally grab it and attempt to use it.

My father showed me another reason why we did not shoot Grandfather's 45. He put two rounds in the magazine with one in the pipe (it actually only slam fires every other round or so) and smacked the .45 sharply on our old picknic table.

It took dad a few tries but he managed to get the .45 to crank off the rounds after hitting the butt hard enough on the table. The pistol is so worn that you can hear the barrel slapping around inside the slide.

I've never shot it for accuracy - but Grandfather said it shot well enough to keep the Japanese off his dozer.

It rode on the dash of Grandfather's old pickup for many years, in between the pouches of chewing tabacco, receipts for feed, and half-full cups of cold coffee. The pistol had coffee and God-knows what else spilled on it over the years.

I've kept it oiled and I keep it in a vacuum sealed plastic bag. I do not have the heart to fix it since it reminds me of my Grandfather who lost his right 4 fingers and a large part of his right hand in the war.

As kids, my two younger brothers and I would ride down from our family farm in the morning with Grandpa to school. Sometimes we would see a coyote and Grandpa would grab the old .45 and while driving with his hook pop a few rounds at the coyote with his left hand.

Grandpa drove us to school almost every morning and no one on the school grounds ever mentioned there was a .45 in plain sight on the dash of Grandpa's old truck.

These days they would probably arrest the old guy.

I have not looked at the old .45 in years - now I am going to have to go dig it out.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:19 am

My Father had an old Remington semi-auto 22lr dont even remember the model of it it would go into auto mode LOL I fixed it though it was just extremely filthy I took it completely apart and cleaned 50 years worth of crud out of it and it turned into a pretty good shooter again. My dad always cleaned the bore but never completely stripped it down and cleaned it. He gave it to my niece and i guess that was good lol I have most of his other nicer guns but that one was the only one i wanted My dad bought it when he was 16 yrs old he saved up his money and ordered it from the sears catalog. LOL long gone are those days. It is good though that he gave it to my Niece as hopefully she will pass it on to either her children or grand-children. it was one ugly gun though I hope they appreciate its history
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:46 am

The first gun I bought with my own money was a POS break down .22 LR that stored in its plastic buttstock and supposedly would float.

The barrel was pencil-thin and as it heated up would twist up and to the right, scattering rounds in a very nice predictable arc.

When I left for boot camp I gave it to my best friend - I wonder if he still has it?

I had forgotten about the old .22 LR rifle until my wife reminded me.

Many years later I saw plans on the internet and in books for making all kinds of different weapon combinations (amny illegal) using the rifle as the base.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:50 pm

thats an awsome story scorge yea youll have to dig it out and take a trip back it time Wink
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum