Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Loading pistol rounds for rifles...

+4
hawcer
Ironworker78
Reload3006
Daywalker
8 posters

Go down

Loading pistol rounds for rifles... Empty Loading pistol rounds for rifles...

Post by Daywalker Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:15 pm

My good friend, jd30cal, who seems to be too busy to visit the forum even after he signed up LOL.... it's ok, any ways, today I took him to my gun dealer to look at some handguns. He ordered a Taurus Revolver 38 special for his wife to use for home defense. While we were there, he also fell in love and bought the Berretta CX4 Storm Semiauto carbine in 45 acp. That thing looks futuristic and has a really cool factor to it.

Since I already load for 45 acp, I have never loaded one geard towards a rifle round. Am I right to assume that nothing changes? The loads aren't any hotter than you load for a pistol?

Or is there something different a person has to do to load a pistol round to be shot out of a rifle??

http://www.cx4storm.com/index.aspx?m=53&did=85

We are hoping to hit the range next thursday and I am hoping to get some of it on film. One of the coolest features of it, it is changeable from being right handed to left handed. He does not have it in hand as of yet, he put down a little for her to hold it for him so when he pics up the Revolver, he will get it then. I am anctious to get my hand on the book to see how this thing comes apart and everything....

Thanks for any and all help..
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Loading pistol rounds for rifles... Empty Re: Loading pistol rounds for rifles...

Post by Daywalker Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:37 pm

I know this may sound like a crazy question. The more I think about it, when you go to buy 45 acp rounds, they are not designated for pistol or rifle. So that alone, I think I prob answered my own question LOL...
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Loading pistol rounds for rifles... Empty Re: Loading pistol rounds for rifles...

Post by Reload3006 Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:59 pm

I dont know about the 45acp for rifle but I would assume and we all know what that means. But if you were to go to the store and buy factory ammo it would be the same for rifle or pistol. I have 44 mag rifles and pistol and loat the same for both.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironworker78 Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:05 pm

I would suggest loading to factory like specs for the semi auto guns, as that is what will run the best. However on the bolt or single shot type pistol caliber rifles you of course have a lot more freedom. Alot of people make hotter rounds for their pistol caliber lever guns also

Ironworker78

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:13 am

Most factory ammo will work fine. You may have to tune your handloads to achieve a full cycle of the bolt since it is a blowback design, unlike your 1911. Also, if using cast bullets, be sure to keep an eye out for leading since the longer barrel will increase FPS.

My little brother just picked up a 45acp AR15....it is a blast to shoot Smile
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:53 pm

Thanks for all the replys. After I had hit submit, I kinda figured that there pretty much wasn't much difference. Kinda one of them brain freeze days...

I doubt this Beretta CX4 will see any cast. If it was mine, I would try it in a heart beat but it isn't. He isn't a cast fan... Oh well, each their own...
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jppr26 Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:26 am

thats nice looking heck i bet i could buy one and the wife wouldn't get mad at that one. Laughing

jppr26

Back to top Go down

Post by algunjunkie Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:51 am

load for pistol and call it good

algunjunkie

http://algunjunkie.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:37 pm

Like 30-06, I load both .357 mag and .44 mag for lever action carbine, Contender carbine, and pistols and call it good.

My wife's Marlin .357 mag lever action is my idea of an urban assault carbine, with 8 in the rifle and 8 in reserve on the butt cuff.

Have heard good things about the CX4 storm, but I am most familiar with them as they were used as the Colonial rifle in the revamped Battle Star Galactica series and its spin offs.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:44 pm

my buddy called yesterday he is looking at getting a CX4 Storm and the new PX4 subcompact pistol. he was specifically asking me about reloading for him, so whatever you find out keep me updated and i'll do the same.
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:07 pm

XbonesX wrote:my buddy called yesterday he is looking at getting a CX4 Storm and the new PX4 subcompact pistol. he was specifically asking me about reloading for him, so whatever you find out keep me updated and i'll do the same.

Will do. So far, I am just going to use the same data I use for my 1911. I am still waiting to get up there to shoot his. He did call me and was overly excited about it. He told me it was fun to shooot and for what he could do, it was accurate for him. He is still new to shooting. He wants to top it with a red dot scope of some sort. At least he is having fun with it and thats what counts. His wife, who was afraid of guns is now a gun lover and loves to shoot it. She is scared of handguns, he got her a Taurus 38 special revolver. She now shoots it everyday behind her house..

Another win for the gun community.....
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down