Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will only Neck sizing help

+4
RemMan700
hawcer
Reload3006
sdsviper
8 posters

Go down

Will only Neck sizing help Empty Will only Neck sizing help

Post by sdsviper Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:28 am

If I only neck size for my 30-06 (165gr) how much more velocity should I get if any over the same round and FL sizing. The load now runs at 2750 FPS +/- . It shoots well but I have some (400+) Weatherby 30-06 165gr factory (they only made it one or two years) that runs 2850 FPS and shoots a little better past 200yds. My load is just over MOA and the Weatheryby is a little under out to at least 300yd. (that's as far as I have tested). I have tried to get a 165gr load to run 2850 FPS with no luck the 2750 is the best I seem to get. Should I just leave it be or??????

taz
sdsviper
sdsviper

Back to top Go down

Will only Neck sizing help Empty Re: Will only Neck sizing help

Post by Reload3006 Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:00 am

I dont think neck sizing only will have much effect on velocity. (I am probably wrong). I would be looking at powder selection. But IMO and opinions are like back sides every one has one. If I had a load that was very accurate I would leave it alone. As long as you know the BC of your bullet and the muzzle velocity you can calculate your down range performance pretty easily. especially if you have software. cant remember the name of it which is too bad because i was going to get it eventually. J Price has it.
but to get that velocity try IMR 4895
165 GR. SIE SPBT IMR IMR 4895 .308" 3.300" 49.0 2768 50,500 PSI 52.0 2888 57,200 PSI
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:10 am

Neck sizing has a good chance of helping in the accuracy department and the life of the brass.

Now....looking waaay outside the box....a neck sized only case has the chance of having more case capacity(depending on chamber dimensions)....so it my be possible to gain a few extra fps with a trickle more grains. Also neck sizing only may allow for adjusting neck tension...a tighter tension on the bullet equals higher psi and possible more or less fps...Just a theory...take it with a grain of powder,lol

Reload3006 is on the right track....find a powder capable of producing the fps you are looking to achieve and still fall within the safe pressure zone.

hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by RemMan700 Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:52 am

A Lee factory crimp die may also help hold the bullet in there a little longer and give you a little increase in your fps. My dad did a bunch of testing to see if there was a difference in accuracy when using LFC vs no crimp. His results came out that using the LFC made his ammo more accurate. I also took a non crimped bullet and tested it on my concentricity guage then crimped it with a LFC die and there was no change in runout.
RemMan700
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:38 am

I agree with the other fellas....neck sizing should only help with accuracy and brass life. *if* anything it would probably decrease pressure thus decreasing velocity over your currently established load.

I don't think 100 FPS is going to make enough of a difference to increase your accuracy even to 300 yards. I would go with a bullet with a higher BC then a couple hundred FPS.

Reload3006 meant to say QuickLOAD, thats what JPrice uses.

XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:58 pm

Sorry to resurrect a thread but neck sizing is something that I do a lot.

Neck sizing is a great way to prolong the life of your brass - with a caveat.

If like me you shoot a lot of wildcat cartridges then neck sizing mostly will prolong the life of your brass.

After fireforming rounds like .357 Herrett, .30 Herrett, .300 Whisper, 7mm IR etc you can get better brass life by neck sizing. However you must keep the brass indicated for which gun otherwise you can run into troubles with headspace - especially with the break open guns like my TC Contenders and Encores.

However, some of the brass like the big belted magnums are better off full length resizing. Neck sizing even with a proper trim to length can cause feeding issues in bolt and semi-auto guns.

You have to set the shoulders back slightly when full length sizing otherwise rounds like for my 7mm Rem Mag will not chamber. However my 7mm STW does not mind neck sizing about every other reload.

My .30 Herrett, .357 Herrett, .30-20 TC, .35 Rem and 7mm IR all get neck sized and shoot quite well.

My .22 Cheetah Mk1 and some of the other heavily bottlenecked cartridges (.240 Weatherby, .22-250 etc) have to be full length resized every time.

My TC Bergara .22-250 barrel I was hoping to get by by neck sizing but I have to full length resize the brass or I get excessive head space. I have to set the dies to bump the shoulders back on the brass slightly.

scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by Alaskamaryann Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:04 am

I don't understand how you get excessive head space by neck sizing only?

Alaskamaryann

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:24 pm

Because of the way the T/C break action guns work. Excessive headspace on my Bergara .22-250 barrel means that the base of the cartridge sticks out too far from the breech to close the action.

I have to full length resize the .22-250 brass for that particular barrel to reduce the length of the brass slightly so it sits nearly flush with the chamber. I have to set the shoulders back slightly so the brass will slide in a little deeper.

Because of the flex of a T/C break action, they are not as rigid as a good bolt gun. If I run the pressure up too high I get too much flex, and the brass will expand too much making extraction difficult. It is part of the idiosyncrasies of the T/C break action guns.

Maybe in a few thousand rounds the chamber will erode enough that neck sizing will be acceptable. This is where keeping accurate notes of loading and results helps. I keep a log book for each gun and each barrel for my switch barrel guns.

I note the OAL, loading data and then note how the round shot at the range. If I notice things like excessive head space, or sticky extraction then I look at what I did and make the necessary changes.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by B W M Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:33 pm

I know that neck sizing does help on accuracy. I do a lot of bench shooting and by neck sizing help out. All so you need to trim all of your brass to the same length and keep your brand of brass the same also there is different brass in all brands. Good Luck

B W M

Back to top Go down

Post by B W M Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:02 pm

scorge30 wrote:Sorry to resurrect a thread but neck sizing is something that I do a lot.

Neck sizing is a great way to prolong the life of your brass - with a caveat.

If like me you shoot a lot of wildcat cartridges then neck sizing mostly will prolong the life of your brass.

After fireforming rounds like .357 Herrett, .30 Herrett, .300 Whisper, 7mm IR etc you can get better brass life by neck sizing. However you must keep the brass indicated for which gun otherwise you can run into troubles with headspace - especially with the break open guns like my TC Contenders and Encores.

However, some of the brass like the big belted magnums are better off full length resizing. Neck sizing even with a proper trim to length can cause feeding issues in bolt and semi-auto guns.

You have to set the shoulders back slightly when full length sizing otherwise rounds like for my 7mm Rem Mag will not chamber. However my 7mm STW does not mind neck sizing about every other reload.

My .30 Herrett, .357 Herrett, .30-20 TC, .35 Rem and 7mm IR all get neck sized and shoot quite well.

My .22 Cheetah Mk1 and some of the other heavily bottlenecked cartridges (.240 Weatherby, .22-250 etc) have to be full length resized every time.

My TC Bergara .22-250 barrel I was hoping to get by by neck sizing but I have to full length resize the brass or I get excessive head space. I have to set the dies to bump the shoulders back on the brass slightly.

Sound like you do not have the neck sizing die set right! Try adj your die. I do not have that trouble with any of my neck sizing dies. GOOD LUCK

B W M

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down