Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

one or two possible projects in the works

+4
XbonesX
Daywalker
Pathfinder
hawcer
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

one or two possible projects in the works Empty one or two possible projects in the works

Post by hawcer Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:31 am

I have one ...hopefully two projects in the works.

First off, I won an auction for a new Savage 12fv 223. No one else bid on it and I won it with a very cheap bid( about 1/3 the value). If the seller honors the auction, I may leave it 223 for awhile...but I will eventually install my 6.5x47 lapua barrel on it.
We'll see on this...the seller should get my money order today.

Second, I have a Winchester 1300 defender I picked up that needs a little tlc.
I think I'm gonna go total tacticool with it...to aggravate a bunch of you. Razz

You know...top folding stock, something like a rhino rail or warhammer rail....maybe even duracoat it olive drab. In the future I want to find an old willys jeep to redo into a military look-alike for hunting and trips to the range....and this shotgun will make a nice gun to keep in the jeep.( I'd mount it right on the lower flat panel section of the folding windshield for easy access.

hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

one or two possible projects in the works Empty Re: one or two possible projects in the works

Post by Pathfinder Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:14 am

Cool idea keeping the shotgun mounted on the jeep somewhere. The 1300 is the one with the spring bolt system right?
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Back to top Go down

one or two possible projects in the works Empty Re: one or two possible projects in the works

Post by hawcer Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:19 am

Pathfinder wrote:Cool idea keeping the shotgun mounted on the jeep somewhere. The 1300 is the one with the spring bolt system right?

If you meant rotating bolt head, like an ar15, then yes. If not, I'm not sure what you are referring to.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:19 am

This sounds totally awsome. Can't wait to see how things work out. I am thinking about duracoating my office chair now to keep up with the coolness hehehehe. No seriously, I am...

I am looking before christmas getting a Savage model 10 from walmart in .243. I need the boy to have his own rifle and I believe this will be a great first rifle for him. I need to keep him away from AR-15 before he starts claiming it again...
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:02 pm

I have a 1300 Defender and did some tacticooling. straight pistol grip, side saddle, and heat shield.

i would recommend against the heat shield, I cut my thumb wide open one time. It's never been back on.

Check these guys out, they have some of the best prices on stocks and side saddles around. http://www.combatstocks.com/

Last edited by XbonesX on Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:08 pm

@ DW - And I just sold my Savage model 10 243 so I could build my Bushy 450.... one of these days we will get our timing down. tongue

@ Bones - I wouldn't put one of those heat shields on it...I'd prolly do the same thing( damage a finger or thumb). I really like the look of the rhino rail, but it is salty. The warhammer rail is cheaper and would do the same job. Problem is, neither are made for a winchester, so I'd have to do some modifications.

aimtech warhammer
one or two possible projects in the works SHT-120

Rhino rail
one or two possible projects in the works Rhino11

Last edited by hawcer on Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:11 pm

hawcer wrote:And I just sold my Savage model 10 243 so I could build my Bushy 450.... one of these days we will get out timing down. tongue

DOH!!! One of these days lol.... Just my luck too.. I remember when you had it for sale. Thought you had already sold it by now.
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:47 pm

well... I didn't just sell it, but if I knew you maybe looking for one before I did, I would have held onto it for you.

Tell you what... If this 12fv 223 deal does go through, I decide not to do anything with it...I could make you a good deal on it. If you could settle for a 223 instead of a 243 anyway.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:56 pm

hawcer wrote:well... I didn't just sell it, but if I knew you maybe looking for one before I did, I would have held onto it for you.

Tell you what... If this 12fv 223 deal does go through, I decide not to do anything with it...I could make you a good deal on it. If you could settle for a 223 instead of a 243 anyway.

Right now I am looking to get him into the .243 so he can hunt with it. Around here, we can't hunt with a .223 for deer like some other areas allows. I appreciate the offer and if I was in the market for a bolt action .223, then heck yea, you and I would def do some talking...
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:24 am

I just received a message that the Savage is in the shipping dept. ,So I should have it in a few days. Very Happy
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:39 pm

Alright!!! Can't wait to see it...
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CMAsailor Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:37 pm

XbonesX wrote:I have a 1300 Defender and did some tacticooling. straight pistol grip, side saddle, and heat shield.

i would recommend against the heat shield, I cut my thumb wide open one time. It's never been back on.

Check these guys out, they have some of the best prices on stocks and side saddles around. http://www.combatstocks.com/

how'd you cut your finger?! Question
CMAsailor
CMAsailor

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:42 pm

I imagine he got his thumb in between the pump grip and the thin heat shield while cycling the action...OUCH!
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:18 am

I'll hopefully be picking up the Savage today...I might have to take an extended lunch Very Happy

I'll try to get some pics of It when I get home....I am curious to see how the factory 26" heavy "varmint" contour barrel compares with my Benchmark 26" heavy "sporter" contour barrel
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:54 pm

I just got back from picking the new Savage up. It's alot nicer than I expected. Came with the accutrigger, "P.A.D" (personal antirecoil device) which lookes to be nothing more than high density foam for a recoil pad. It also has a widened forearm, which was a nice surprise, eventhough I might not use the stock. It also has the extended oversized bolt handle....No scope or base though. It also looks like a metal trigger guard instead of the plastic one like I had on my model 10..

All in all, not bad for $227 including the shipping and transfer fee. I think this is the first time the ball has landed in my side of the court and I was able to score with it. Yehaw

one or two possible projects in the works Sav1u
one or two possible projects in the works Sav2q
one or two possible projects in the works Sav3c
one or two possible projects in the works Sav4c

Last edited by hawcer on Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by RemMan700 Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:13 pm

That is awesome.. Now I will give you $230 for it shipped to me. Deal? Very Happy
RemMan700
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:20 pm

Awsome deal man!! It is nice to be on top every now and then. Can't wait to see how things come along..
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:25 pm

RemMan700 wrote:That is awesome.. Now I will give you $230 for it shipped to me. Deal? Very Happy

i'll give you $231 Cool
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:30 pm

I added some pictures... Very Happy
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:32 pm

hawcer wrote:I just got back from picking the new Savage up. It's alot nicer than I expected. Came with the accutrigger, "P.A.D" (personal antirecoil device) which lookes to be nothing more than high density foam for a recoil pad. It also has a widened forearm, which was a nice surprise, eventhough I might not use the stock. It also has the extended oversized bolt handle....No scope or base though. It also looks like a metal trigger guard instead of the plastic one like I had on my model 10..

All in all, not bad for $227 including the shipping and transfer fee. I think this is the first time the ball has landed in my side of the court and I was able to score with it. Yehaw

one or two possible projects in the works Sav1u
one or two possible projects in the works Sav2q
one or two possible projects in the works Sav3c
one or two possible projects in the works Sav4c

She sure is purty. Even still has the Savage sticker on the bottom of the stock!! You sure are one lucky fella...
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:06 pm

Daywalker wrote:

She sure is purty. Even still has the Savage sticker on the bottom of the stock!! You sure are one lucky fella...

That's because it is factory New Wink
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:33 pm

XbonesX wrote:
RemMan700 wrote:That is awesome.. Now I will give you $230 for it shipped to me. Deal? Very Happy

i'll give you $231 Cool

Nice try guys! haha
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:03 pm

Since I never came across the correct spaced action for the stock I originally wanted to use with my 6.5 Lapua build, I've decided to modify it to work with with the Model 12 I picked up.

I had to fill the front action screw hole and will have to re-drill and counter drill a new new hole approximately .2" farther forward and re-install the pillar. It looks like a big glob right now...I had to do this, almost the same reason for overfilling the mold when casting boolits...to get a complete fill and to keep it from sinking while it cures, also any bubbles that form on the surface will be removed when the excess is trimmed off and won't be in the filled section.

one or two possible projects in the works Savagestockwork

The epoxy I used takes a few days to cure and it is tough as nails, but not brittle...I also mixed in fine hardwood sawdust.

When this is done, I will also be bedding the action...this can be a little tricky on a savage, so I hope it doesn't turn out too bad.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:54 pm

Well, I have the front mounting hole filled and re-drilled.

one or two possible projects in the works Dsc04474f

What she looks like all snuggled in her new bed...

one or two possible projects in the works Dsc04468
one or two possible projects in the works Dsc04470u

I found a set of rings and bases I had for an old BP rifle I no longer have...I mounted them and was going to borrow the scope off the AR so I could do some shootin with it....but changed my mind...I'll wait for the new scope and rings.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:27 pm

great job it looks fantastic. if it shoots as good as it looks ..... ought to be some one hole targets out there and lots of dead varmints. Congrats
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next