Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Finally took a break and went fishing Monday night

+5
sdsviper
Reload3006
RichBirdHunter
XbonesX
Mohunter
9 posters

Go down

Finally took a break and went fishing Monday night Empty Finally took a break and went fishing Monday night

Post by Mohunter Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:03 pm

I was getting claustrophobic from spending so much time in the garage working on bows that I had to get out and clear my head. It's almost over now as soon as I get this trade bow done I'm gonna take a break from it for a month or so.
Anyway, Monday 6/15 night was nearly a full moon so I hit the river right at dark like I do several times every summer. Just me, my boat, trolling motor, and a black buzzbait. Cool
They really come out of the wood work when the sun dips over the horizon, if you ever want to treat yourself to some of the best bass fishing you ever had..........you need to try it at night!
There's just something so relaxing about fishing at night cause it's cooler than during the day and so many different noises at night than there are during daylight hours. Besides the fish bite better and you don't get sunburned, only thing I hate is the bugs but as long as you leave the flashlight off they won't swarm ya.

I lost a couple of good ones that jumped and threw my buzzbait, but that's ok cause I got my limit and I'm not one to get greedy. The smaller one that looks like a bluegill is actually a goggle eye. They are might tasty, but most of them you catch are fairly small.
The biggest bass on the far right was around 17" and weighed just a hair over 2 pounds, the rest were just keepers.

Finally took a break and went fishing Monday night Bass6-13-11001
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Finally took a break and went fishing Monday night Empty Re: Finally took a break and went fishing Monday night

Post by XbonesX Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:43 pm

Very nice Mo! I was hoping to do some fishing this and last weekend but a family emergency had other plans.

What is a buzzbait for a bass fishing newbie like me?
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Finally took a break and went fishing Monday night Empty Re: Finally took a break and went fishing Monday night

Post by RichBirdHunter Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:01 pm

Nice catch, what did you use to bring in that yard stick in?
RichBirdHunter
RichBirdHunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:18 pm

Nice mess of fish and a great way to spend an evening
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:36 pm

Here ya go Bones, this video can explain it way better than I can. Only thing I'll add it that I use a single blade buzzbait that's black on black, which only means it's a black blade with a black skirt. Don't ask me why but it just seems like the bass really attack this color combo at night. I just keep using what works, if it ain't broke don't try to fix it......right?

Enjoy the video from the Bass Professor Doug Hannon

Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:50 pm

RichBirdHunter wrote:Nice catch, what did you use to bring in that yard stick in?
I threatened it with a beaver and it just jumped in the boat. scratch Spew Coffee
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by RichBirdHunter Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:08 am

Haha, made me laugh
RichBirdHunter
RichBirdHunter

Back to top Go down

Post by sdsviper Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:51 am

Nice catch. taz
Killer bevears oh my. LOL
sdsviper
sdsviper

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:01 am

Thanks Steve. I'd rather catch some big ol cats like you did but I don't have much luck with them on the river, too many turtles. I guess I should learn how to clean those and fill the freezer with them? You can't fish anything on the bottom around here without catching turtles, that may be why there aren't as many catfish here? I think the turtles raid the catfish nests if I'm not mistaken?
I've ate turtle before and it's real tasty, but I have never cleaned one.
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by eagle60 Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:46 am

Nice haul Mo! In my book, 'bout the only thing a turtle is good for is target practice Smile I have a cajun neighbor that invited us down for some turtle soup one time. He had made it from a very large snapping turtle he got from one of the creeks. I could get past the fact that it was turtle - I couldn't handle his cooking though. I'll stick to catfish !!
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:48 pm

Some guys up north Missouri where I use to live liked to trap snappers all summer long from ponds and lakes. They would let them swim in a big cattle water tank for a few days before they killed them and butchered them. They saved the meat all summer and then had a big turtle fry in the fall and they breaded then deep fried them and chunked it all in a big roaster to basically bake for an hour or so. That was some good eatin right there. It was kinda like eating chicken drummies and I suspect it was the legs off the turtles? Not sure, but it was damn good!
If I could fix them like they did I'd be eating turtle on a regualr basis, so I may have to kill one and give it a try this summer?
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:17 pm

thats some nice fish good job went to the lake twice this week myself but didnt catch anything that nice lol!
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by fletch_medic Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:42 pm

A little trick a friend of mine showed me was to add like a 3" grub to your spinner bait or buzz bait. I don't know why, but if I fish one without the grub, I don't catch as many fish. I guess the grub tail twirling adds to the enticement.
fletch_medic
fletch_medic

Back to top Go down

Post by kcatto Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:51 am

the grub looks like a baitfish and adds action.... wait I just saw that in the you tube buzzbait video above....

my grandfather always put curly tail grubs on the buzzbaits, that is why I did (monkey see monkey do) but the video explained why it works....

nice catch MO....
kcatto
kcatto

Back to top Go down

Post by fletch_medic Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:21 am

I guess maybe I should have actually watched the video before I posted. Oops.
fletch_medic
fletch_medic

Back to top Go down

Post by kcatto Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:14 am

fletch_medic wrote:I guess maybe I should have actually watched the video before I posted. Oops.

HAHAHA.....I just did not want you to miss the video it was real informative..... it explained some stuff for me....

kcatto
kcatto

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down