Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help me pick a case trimmer

+9
Rick459
hawcer
eagle60
XbonesX
EdgarEg
Daywalker
RichBirdHunter
Reload3006
2005ghostrider
13 posters

Go down

Help me pick a case trimmer Empty Help me pick a case trimmer

Post by 2005ghostrider Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:13 pm

I have always just used the lee trimmers and have been really happy with them but I need something to trim my 204 ruger brass and thought it was time to move up to a lath style trimmer. I have been looking at the different ones and reading about them but I can't decide which one I need as their seems to be varying opinions on them. So what's everybody useing? What's the best value for the money?

2005ghostrider

Back to top Go down

Help me pick a case trimmer Empty Re: Help me pick a case trimmer

Post by Reload3006 Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:19 pm

I think hornady is the best for the money right now. I like RCBS too.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by RichBirdHunter Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:34 pm

RCBS
RichBirdHunter
RichBirdHunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:39 pm

I use the Lyman Lathe style with the drill adapter. Works great and easy on the wallet to boot...
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 2005ghostrider Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:44 pm

Thanks I think I've got it narrowed down to either the Hornady or the lyman universal. I like the looks of the hornady but I will have to buy new shellholders for it which makes the overall cost of it higher then the lyman but some people say it's more accurate then the lyman which doesn't use shellholders. I'm also considering the Redding which is about the same price as the hornady with the extra shellholders I would need.

2005ghostrider

Back to top Go down

Post by EdgarEg Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:17 pm

I notice that the Redding case trimmer has the case spin and the blade sits still. The other trimmers do the opposite. I do not own the Redding but it does seem like it would be handy sometimes to have a case spinning in order to clean it or lube it or something.
EdgarEg
EdgarEg

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:18 am

I have the Forster trimmer, I like it but for the price if I did it again I'd go with the Lyman. The Redding always looked good too.
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by eagle60 Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:50 pm

I more or less rolled my own. I use the Lee trimmers with a motorized shell holder - sort of. So far have had excellent service with it. Looks kinda like this - - -

Help me pick a case trimmer Front110
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:21 am

EdgarEg wrote:I notice that the Redding case trimmer has the case spin and the blade sits still. The other trimmers do the opposite. I do not own the Redding but it does seem like it would be handy sometimes to have a case spinning in order to clean it or lube it or something.

exactly!

I have the Forster....it works great. One thing nice about it is that the ends can be adjusted for length...drill new holes and you can go even bigger or smaller....perfect for trimming cases to a very short length for swaging.It uses collets to hold the cases...I think there are only three different ones....the drawback is, they are based on the the fact that all cases are within the same spec tolerance...and we know that not to be true in some cases....so some cases won't fit at all, some have thicker rims which will affect the trimmed length, etc...

But If I was to do it again, I'd be very tempted to get a hornady.

BTW...I'm pretty sure any shell holder will work(or should work). My friend has one and I'm sure he was using a rcbs shell holder in it. I'd at least try other shell holders....even though Hornady shell holders are the only ones that are supposed to work. I don't know what the difference is....

On the Hornady....I called my friend and asked him what the difference is in the shell holders. he said the hornady holders have a slightly bigger hole in them the "cam-lock" goes through to lock the cases into the turner....he had all of his shell holders reamed out to the hornady size hole, so he could use them in the Hornady case trimmer.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by 2005ghostrider Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:13 pm

Thanks Hawcer I was wandering what the deal was with needing the hornady shellholders. This has really got me leaning towards the Redding trimmer.

2005ghostrider

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:23 pm

Dartfreak had a Redding case trimmer up for sale/trade not too long ago...I'm not sure if he still has it.

Here is the post:

http://www.atgreloading.com/t822-wts-wtt-redding-trimmer
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by 2005ghostrider Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:46 pm

Well the redding is out I was reading about it today and it looks like in order to trim 204 ruger brass I would also have to buy a different cutterhead which adds about $25 to the cost. Looks like I'll probably just get the lyman.

2005ghostrider

Back to top Go down

Post by EdgarEg Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:17 pm

EdgarEg wrote:I notice that the Redding case trimmer has the case spin and the blade sits still. The other trimmers do the opposite. I do not own the Redding but it does seem like it would be handy sometimes to have a case spinning in order to clean it or lube it or something.
I just found another case trimmer where the case spins and the cutter sits still. It is the Smart Reloader SR777.

http://www.smartreloader-usa.com/sr777casetrimmer.html

EdgarEg
EdgarEg

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick459 Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:30 am

Rick459
Rick459

Back to top Go down

Post by EdgarEg Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:25 am

The handles looks a lot alike. Help me pick a case trimmer Both10
EdgarEg
EdgarEg

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:59 pm

It seems to me that SmartReloader is just making "Simular" versions of everyone else's tools.
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sasquatch-1 Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:20 am

I have the redding trimmer. If I had it to do over I think I would get one that is easily converted to use a drill or power screw driver. To run 40 S&W's through it yu have to use a screw driver to open the collet a slight bit to seat the base. Not a big problem but when you are trimming a couple hundred cases for use as jackets it gets to be a pain.
Sasquatch-1
Sasquatch-1

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:04 am

Sasquatch-1 wrote:I have the redding trimmer. If I had it to do over I think I would get one that is easily converted to use a drill or power screw driver. To run 40 S&W's through it yu have to use a screw driver to open the collet a slight bit to seat the base. Not a big problem but when you are trimming a couple hundred cases for use as jackets it gets to be a pain.

That is what I use my Lyman trimmer for. No modification at all. And I bought the drill attachment. Works like a charm...
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sasquatch-1 Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:11 am

Iish I had seen your video befor I bought the one I have. Even tho I just use it to straighten the mouth of the case after trimming with the Harbor Freight saw, it is still quite time consuming.
Sasquatch-1
Sasquatch-1

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:21 pm

I have the RCBS and am happy with it. I use the drill adapter and it works fine.

I also use quite a few of the Lee case trimmers. I have a few that I ordered through their custom shop for rounds like .357 and .30 Herrett as well as 7mm International Rimmed.

If I get into bulk loading and start using large amounts of mil surp cases I would definately get the Dillon power trimmer again. My wife hated the constant drone of the shop vac but then it was in the living room.

Strangely such things ended when we had children.

The Dillon power trimmer is not cheap, but man it worked like a champ doing 5 gal pails of mil 5.56 and 7.62 when I was still active duty in the Army.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/content/p/9/pid/23636/catid/8/Dillon__039_s_Rapid_Trim_1200B_Case_Trimmer
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by B W M Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:07 am

I like the Lee they are not costly and I have a 12 volt drill from Harbor Freight That makes it a lot faster there is no adj needed jest trim till it stop cutting! Keep the weight down on the drill!

B W M

Back to top Go down

Post by george457d Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:47 pm

Lee has "case-specific" trimming dies (.223 , .243 , 2506 and so on)
also it can be chucked in to a cordless-drill ...
and if you don't have a tumbler ,the case could be polished while chucked-up
george457d
george457d

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down