Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What say you about case trimmers

+2
Daywalker
Sasquatch-1
6 posters

Go down

What say you about case trimmers Empty What say you about case trimmers

Post by Sasquatch-1 Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:34 pm

I am considering purchasing a case trimmer and was wondering which one provides the best value for the dollar? At Natchez the RCBS Trim Pro kit is $96.85, Hornady Cam Lock $64.99, Lyman $66.99, Forster trimmer only $49.99 Plus 3.69 for pilots and 8.99 for collets. None of these include the pilot for the .40/10mm that I would probably use the most, although I am going to be using it for trimming the brass for jackets after running them through the baby cut off saw to even them up.

So what say you?
Sasquatch-1
Sasquatch-1

Back to top Go down

What say you about case trimmers Empty Re: What say you about case trimmers

Post by Daywalker Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:18 pm

I can not speak for the RCBS or the Hornady trimmers. I would not imagine either of those would be bad. The trimmer I own is the Lyman universal case trimmer in which I purchased the drill adapter for. It works great with zero problems. I use it to trim cases as well as remove alot of brass on the 40's to length for jackets. Forester makes some good products as well.

The Lyman did come with all the pilots as well. I got mine from a yardsale a few years back. It was still like brand new.

I have a youtube video about my case trimmer and using it to make jackets with.

I thought that I had it in the youtube section. Did not find it so I went ahead and posted in the youtube section the vid if you care to check it out.. Hope it helps...
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:01 pm

Get one that has a good selection of pilots with it. Hornady and Lyman both do I think. I have a Forster...but it sucks having to buy all the extra pilots and collets. A friend of mine has the Hornady and loves it...the only drawback is, you have to use hornady shell holders with it...not so much a drawback if all of your dies and holders are Hornady though...
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by EdgarEg Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:42 pm

I have never used one but the Redding 2400 is only case trimmer that I know of that spins the case instead of the blade. That could be handy for cleaning or lubing a few cases.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

It is pricey though.
EdgarEg
EdgarEg

Back to top Go down

Post by Sasquatch-1 Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:10 pm

hawcer wrote:Get one that has a good selection of pilots with it. Hornady and Lyman both do I think. I have a Forster...but it sucks having to buy all the extra pilots and collets. A friend of mine has the Hornady and loves it...the only drawback is, you have to use hornady shell holders with it...not so much a drawback if all of your dies and holders are Hornady though...

Well the shell holder thing would leave out Hornady since all my shell holders are either RCBS or Lee.
Sasquatch-1
Sasquatch-1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sasquatch-1 Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:24 pm

Daywalker wrote:I have a youtube video about my case trimmer and using it to make jackets with.

I thought that I had it in the youtube section. Did not find it so I went ahead and posted in the youtube section the vid if you care to check it out.. Hope it helps...

After watching your video I have two questions. First is how long does the cutting head last with the amount of material you are removing?
Second I noticed you were not using a pilot in the cutting head, Why?
Sasquatch-1
Sasquatch-1

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:50 pm

I think I can answer those questions for you.

The carbide cutter should last a long time, since it is unly cutting brass. if you do ever dull one, I don't think they are very costly to replace.

He didn't use a pilot because the inside of the case is tapered. You would have to switch out pilots about halfway into the cut to a smaller pilot. It's faster to not use one at all and debur when done.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:40 am

i have a redding id sell you if your interested pm me!
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:48 pm

Yep, Hawcer just about summed it up. I did not use a pilot because, trimming for jackets, did not really seemed to need to use one. I trimmed a few thousand jackets and could not tell the difference between the first to last trim.
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:00 pm

I've used the Lee trimmers for quite a while. I have one of Lee's 3-jaw vices chucked in a 3/8" drill and use the Lee case length guages.

For certain rounds like .256 Win Mag, .35 Rem Rimmed, .30 and .357 Herett I use a Redding trim die with an extended shell holder.

When making .35 Rem Rimmed from .303 Brit (or .30-40 Krag) I run the case through the .35 expander first and then through a .35 Rem Redding trim die.

I mark the spot to be cut off and then put the case in the mini chop saw and lop off the excess. After a chamfer and deburr I run the trimmed case through the .35 Rem FL sizing die to knock the old primer out.

I was using the Lee case length guage to trim the .303 Brit down to .35 Rem length but I found this left a pile of shavings. The mini chop saw is much neater and quicker. The little saw is also easier on my hands and wrists.

I also found the Lee .35 Rem case length guage was cutting the .303 Brit a tad too short. When I fireformed removing the sharp .303 Brit body taper the reformed case was a bit short - more than I liked.

Leaving them a little long gives me still a slightly short .35 Rem Rimmed but not as short as before.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down