Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ruger base pins

2 posters

Go down

Ruger base pins Empty Ruger base pins

Post by Sasquatch-1 Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:09 pm

The worst has happened. My Super Blackhawk has started spitting the base pin. I guess any Ruger single action shooters may know what I am talking about. I am getting ready to order a locking base pin and redesigned base pin latch from Belt Mountain and was wondering if anyone has had experience with these?
Sasquatch-1
Sasquatch-1

Back to top Go down

Ruger base pins Empty Re: Ruger base pins

Post by nicholst55 Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:01 am

Take a good look at your base pin latch and base pin for evidence of peening. This is caused by poor fitting, and can sometimes be remedied without spending any money on aftermarket parts.

If you do decide to replace the base pin, ideally you need to mill a tiny flat spot on the bottom of your barrel where the setscrew in the base pin bears. This will prevent the screw from marring the barrel.
nicholst55
nicholst55

Back to top Go down

Post by Sasquatch-1 Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:09 am

Replaced the base pins with the Belt Mountain Standard locking pin and there improved base pin latch. For now this seems to have done the trick. There was a video on the internet where a guy does some filing on the latch pin but it was not clear enough for me to take a chance.

The only problem with the Belt Mountain locking pins is keeping tracked of the allen wrench. affraid
Sasquatch-1
Sasquatch-1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down