Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Flat base or bevel base bullets for handguns?

5 posters

Go down

Flat base or bevel base bullets for handguns? Empty Flat base or bevel base bullets for handguns?

Post by Blade Sun May 08, 2011 5:29 pm

Hey guys, i'm just curious. I'm interested in maybe getting a magma master caster. But i see they have 2 different types of molds. The ones with a flat base and a bevel base. The question now is, which one?

I know that a bevel base would better for placing it into the case for seating and crimping, but what are the ups and downs between the two?

The link below are the bevel base bullet, which look like it has a tapered base.
http://magmaengineering.com/PDF/BBMar122011b.pdf

This link below are the flat base bullets
http://magmaengineering.com/PDF/FBMar092011b.pdf
Blade
Blade

Back to top Go down

Flat base or bevel base bullets for handguns? Empty Re: Flat base or bevel base bullets for handguns?

Post by Mohunter Sun May 08, 2011 5:30 pm

I like a slight bevel cause they start easier.
Can't you get molds for both designs? I have used both styles of bullets and get along with both, but a bevel it much easier to load. Don't know what kind of problems it could cause with leading or other issues?
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Flat base or bevel base bullets for handguns? Empty Re: Flat base or bevel base bullets for handguns?

Post by Blade Sun May 08, 2011 6:07 pm

I've also used both types in my 38 spl. from the lee 158gr. FN (bevel base) and my 150gr. RN (flat base). The bevel base definitely makes it easier to start the bullet into the case.

My main concern about getting the bevel base is the leading issue. I haven't had leading in my 38spl. since i've got the size of my bullet correct...
Blade
Blade

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Mon May 09, 2011 9:19 am

Bevel bases are easier to seat. Period! I have not noticed a difference on how they shoot.

The sprue plate seems to cut the bevel based bullets cleaner too....the flat base sometimes leaves some flashing.

Unless you are talking about a gas check bevel...I don't see one leading any different than the other.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Mon May 09, 2011 12:28 pm

As previously mentioned the bevel base loads easier but if you flair the mouth of the case enough there is plenty of room to seat square flat base bullets.

I shoot and load both, depending on the mold, and have not seen any difference in leading or accuracy.

I prefer gas checked bullets, so shoot very few plain base bullets. I used to shoot quite a bit when I was active in SASS.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by Blade Mon May 09, 2011 12:41 pm

I have a bit of a hard time loading my 9mm bullets into the cases (flat base bullets), because i need to size my 9mm bullets to .357 to get no leading in my Vektor sp1, with the polygonal rifling, same as the Glocks.

Plus the flaring and powder threw die in my pro1000 is set to flare as much as i can. In my single stage press i can get it to flare a bit more, which makes it easier.

Thanks for your input scorge30. I'm glad to know that you dont have leading issues with the BB bullets
Blade
Blade

Back to top Go down

Post by wallenba Sun May 15, 2011 2:21 pm

I used to use bevel based bullets exclusively until I started casting and lubing my own. In my lubrisizers they allow lube to build up on the edges of the base at the bevel. It gets messier as you go along. They are easier to seat, but a Lyman 'M' die cures all that for the flat base bullets. Lyman 'M' dies are available as caliber specific, or as a universal with a set of expanders for all the popular calibers. A charge thru 'M' die is also available. I get less lube smoke indoors and better (more consistant) velocities with the flat base. The choice comes down to personal preference really. Both types are good, I just think the flat base has more going for it.
A 9 MM 'M' die > http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/dies/pistol-die-details.php?brand=1&cartridge=5&die=19

In the above link Lyman has the wrong product description. They are talking about a taper crimp die there.

Here is a link for a rifle 'M' die description, applies to all 'M' dies.
http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/dies/rifle-die-details.php?brand=3&cartridge=27&die=54

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/dies/precision-speciality-dies.php

wallenba
wallenba

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down