Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Savage Model 10 Barrel Swap Question

+8
scorge30
Guitarfreak189
Admin
Travis
BigAgitator
CMAsailor
hawcer
Daywalker
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Savage Model 10 Barrel Swap Question - Page 2 Empty Re: Savage Model 10 Barrel Swap Question

Post by RemMan700 Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:41 pm

Savage has actions kits on their website.
RemMan700
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Savage Model 10 Barrel Swap Question - Page 2 Empty Re: Savage Model 10 Barrel Swap Question

Post by scorge30 Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:10 pm

I thought Savage was the one that you could order a custom rifle from for just under a $1,000?

Nice they lists actions now, I wonder how hard it would be for my 'smith to get a hold of one?
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:38 pm

Finally found the pic of my Ibex in Texas. This is several years ago while at Ft Hood when my Savage 10 had the old wooden stock and the previous barrel with a muzzle break. We reinforced the stock with cross pins ala-Mauser style to handle the stiffer recoil.

This barrel was an Adams & Bennet that started life as a .308 before a Texas 'smith bored it to .300 WSM for me.

I got the barrel from Midway but it did not shoot as well as I wanted, so when I was posted to Ft Lewis, I found a 'smith who would accept work on a Savage.

Originally I thought I wanted iron sights as well, but that turned out to be more of hinderance in the wait-a-minute brush.

I ended up waiting in a ground blind in the searing Texas heat for three days when this fine ram came buy. Something spooked him and he shot up the canyon walls and stopped at the top.

I was shooting up hill and was just taking off the slack on the trigger when he decided he better move again. I had ranged the top of the rocks before with my old Bushnell range finder but I do not have one of the new ones that computes for angle so I buggered the shot at a walking Ibex hitting him in the back of the neck.

When we rolled him over, the Ibex's head fell off as there was a little piece of meat holding it to the critter. My guide in a smooth Texas-Mex drawl said it was damdest shot he'd seen.

Being younger I played it off as I meant to do that but that 180gr Nosler Partition really made a mess of the ram. Ruined what would have been a beaut of a chest and head mount, and ended up with just a head mount.

Note: picture is a little gory, if blood or dead headless critter makes you ill, please do not blow it up.

Savage Model 10 Barrel Swap Question - Page 2 Texas_10
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:31 am

Nice! Looks like that beastie could have been an extra from one of the Highlander movies,LOL

I've decapitated squirrels and other small rodents...but yours takes the cake.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:48 am

This was a total accident. I was shooting up a steep hill at a walking target quartering away from me and totally misjudged my hold and lead.

You can see where the bullet entered the poor thing's neck at the base and then shot up to come out under his chin.

That 180gr Partition about ripped his head off and then if fell off when we moved him. The guide on the ranch we were hunting said it was the damndest shot he'd ever seen - but it was pure luck. I just have easily missed or wounded the poor thing and he would have been over the hill and gone.

Last edited by scorge30 on Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:49 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fix spelling)
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by kcatto Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:27 am

not that gory at all..... kinda makes me a little hungry...
kcatto
kcatto

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:15 pm

Despite being a ram and not a gelding, I was expecting that he would taste awful. He made an awsome Tex-Mex BBQ the guides and ranch hands whipped up and we used some of the left over meat for breakfast burritos, and fajitas the next couple days.

Nothing like sitting in the back of a pickup truck eating El Cazador tequila based Ibex meat breakfast burrito and a Tecate while you wait for your hunting buddies to tag-out.

The Ibex was my last tag and we had two days left to hunt so I spent the rest of the time scouting, watching and helping my friends get their Ibex, Nilgai, and another exotic that was more than my wallet could afford.

Everytime I look at him on the wall of my man-cave, I remember that hunt in Texas. I remember the smell of the fresh mesquite and the creosite brush that always snagged my clothing and rifle.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:26 pm

And that my friend Steve is why we keep doing it! Some day when I have more money than I know what to do with I"m going to go to Alaska for Moose. Always wanted one of those hanging on my wall and I imagine the meat is pretty good too.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:39 pm

I lived in Alaska for two years while I was at Ft Wainright.

If you get a big ol' bull it takes some skill to get the meat to come out right.

If someone shot a big bull we made summer sausage and jerky out of him.

Best eating moose is a cow or a yearling bull whose antler tips are not past his ears - meat like veal!!

The guides and ranch hands in Texas really knew what they were doing to make this old ram edible. They put him on a spit and slow BBQd him over a mequite firewood fire, and then took him, wrapped him in aluminum foil and based him with tequila, limes, a bunch of peppers and some other stuff.

Then they wrapped it in wet burlap and buried him in the ground with the same mesquite coals they BBQd him over. Kinda like a Tex-Mex luau.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:01 pm

Hey fellas, seems this thread is starting to get off topic of barrel swapping.

Lets try to stay on track please. If there is anymore info about swapping barrels on a Savage, I would love to read about it.

Thanks for everyone's help and support...
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:15 pm

getting the subject back on track i have seriously considered having my Remington 700 3006 re barreled to 25-06 being a lefty I've been pretty much left out in the cold as far as rifle choices are concerned but things have drastically improved now I may just buy one if I can ever convince my self and my wife that I need one as I have 2 gun safes full LOL
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2