Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lee 6 cavity mold, any good?

+5
badjeep02
notenoughguns
hawcer
tripples
Blade
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Lee 6 cavity mold, any good? - Page 2 Empty Re: Lee 6 cavity mold, any good?

Post by BigAgitator Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:52 am

I'm really liking the things that you're saying.
Getting some of the ideas and parameters from other forums and maybe putting word of a buy "in the wind" is a great idea. Hopefully DW will agree.

Wouldn't everyone have to agree on a caliber and style of mould for this to work out?

I've been really pleased with all the lee products I have. The only one that's a tad (just a tad) iffy is the beam scale. I wish it went to 400 grains pale
BigAgitator
BigAgitator

https://www.youtube.com/user/BigAgitator?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:54 am

BigAgitator wrote:Wouldn't everyone have to agree on a caliber and style of mould for this to work out?

Ideally, yes, but if we put a group buy "in the wind" with DW's blessing, we might start seeing where interest lies. I.E. - what caliber, style and weight(s) of custom Lee 6-cavity mold we are looking for.

Someone will need to step forward to compile a list of the people that respond and see where the greatest interest lies. As long as we stay with traditional calibers, we should be able to get some interest in a custom 6-cavity Lee mold order.

While I shoot some of the European calibers, if we stray into the odd or rare European calibers we might not have as much interest, as if we stay with more popular calibers like .38/.357, 9mm, 40 cal/10mm, .452, .460, .500, etc. For instance I would love a 700 grain .500 S&W Lee 6-cavity mold. I missed a recent group buy on another forum for just such a mold.

We may also, again with DW's blessing, if maybe there is not enough interest here for a group buy of our own either repeat another custom 6-cavity Lee mold order from a previous group buy (like the Ranch Dog molds) or get in on another forum's group buy.

I am particularly fond of the Lee 6-cavity molds, particularly the truncated cone, wide meplat, gas checked and tumble lubed boolits. Most of the ones I have do not require sizing so after slipping a gas check on and tumble lubing they get dropped straight into the cartridge. Not having to size most of the tumble lube bullets, and being able to shoot them as they drop from the mold, is a great time saver.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:31 pm

I do not mind anyone starting a thread to get interest up on group buys. It is a great way to save money..

Just a few cautions......

This is totally on the members that participate. Someone will have to head up the group buy and be responsible for it.

I know that castboolits does group buys all the time. That forum is huge and usually has no problem getting a group buy going. Thought I would toss that out there. I am just not sure with the few members we have, if it would be enough for a group buy...

I can create an area for Group Buy interests and then anyone that is wanting to head up a group buy, can start a thread about one. Ideally, the person would have some contact with the manufacture to make sure it is possible and how many it will take to place an order....
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:22 pm

As someone who has participated in nearly too many castboolits forum group buys, I know that forum has group buys running almost all the time.

I did not think we had the size yet as a forum to make a group buy worthwhile, and maybe we would be better served by attempting to get into some of the group buys running on castboolits and other forums?

Lee will deal with an individual if you are willing to fork over the money for a lone custom 6-cavity mold and are willing to pay the tooling and cherry price.

Maybe a thread for a heads up for group buys on castboolits forum for those that might want to jump in?

I do not think we have the size the make a group buy worthwhile - but I could be wrong. Also there are probably guys like me that tend to buy the Lee custom molds in groups of 4.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by Blade Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:34 pm

I have 2 Lee 6 cavity molds on their way... finally lol

I have regionally ordered the 2 molds with a set of handles on the 1ste Feb this month from Titan Reloading. One of the molds and the set of handles was out of stock and they told me it's going to take about a week to 10 days to get, then they can ship it to me. I agreed to that, but they only shipped it to me 16 days later... the day after that it was shipped to me (South Africa) from Chicago via USPS - Express mail. Now i'm most likely going to wait another week or so to get it, to clear our customs and pay tax etc. The wait is KILLING ME lol.

I got a 9mm and a 38spl. mold

9mm mold
http://www.titanreloading.com/molds/bullet-molds/9mm-luger-38-super-auto-380-auto/lee-6-cav-mold-356-125-2r-

38spl. mold
http://www.titanreloading.com/molds/bullet-molds/38-spc-38-sw-38-colt-np/lee-6-cav-mold-358-150-1r

I know a lot of you prefer the tumble lube bullet/method, but imo it smokes wayyyy too much and it is very messy to work with. I have recently bought a RCBS lube a matic, so the lubricating process is very easy and "clean" for me.

The 38spl mold i ordered, i have it in the double cavity and they are VERY accurate. I just hope it's the same for the 9mm mold.

Last edited by Blade on Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammer)
Blade
Blade

Back to top Go down

Post by BigAgitator Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:29 pm

I'm psyched for ya'!

Can't wait to hear how they turn out!
BigAgitator
BigAgitator

https://www.youtube.com/user/BigAgitator?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:16 am

I have never noticed my tumble lubed bullets smoking a lot, unless I am heavy handed with the amount of lube.

It takes some practice to get just how much lube to dump in the jug while you rattle the boolits around and sing your happy lead song.

Most of the tumble lubes boolits I am shooting outside with heavy calibers like .357 Rem Max, .357 Herrett, .445 SM, etc so I have not noticed any particular smoke issue.

Next time at the range I will have to watch my friends and see if there is a bit more smoke from the tumble lubed bullets rather than the others.

I am glad that you ordered some more of these great 6 cavity molds. I can not seem to get enough of them as we shoot a lot of informal ram shooting here for fun so burn up a lot of boolits.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by Blade Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:54 pm

FINALLY!!! After about 2 weeks at our customs they have cleared my parcel and i went to fetch my 2 six-cavity bullet molds today cheers , i've just finished cleaning and smoking them. Hopefully tomorrow i can use them. From what i can see, they are also a hell of a lot better quality then the normal 2 cavity lee molds. I just hope there isn't any defects in the cavity's, but so far so good.
Blade
Blade

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:14 pm

AWSOME!!! You will have to post up some pics of your casts from the moulds!!! Would love to see some loaded up as well... Your on your way now....
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2