Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

bullet mold lube?

4 posters

Go down

bullet mold lube? Empty bullet mold lube?

Post by dartfreak75 Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:23 pm

what do you all use to lube your molds? i have been using gulf wax but today i found out thats not such a great idea i got some wax in my bullet cavitys now my mold want fill out worth a crap how would yall recommend getting the wax out?? iv tried everything i know i put the mold down in molten lead tryed to burn it out that way it just made my molds worse then i let them cool scrubed the crap out of them with a toothbrush and denatured alcohol that didnt help either they still want fill out! im kinda pissed couse it was my best mold i got about 100 or so made and they looked perfect well the top bullet (closet to the end of the mold) the sprew wasnt cutting the base good it looked higher than the back one like it was warped up or something so i thought the sprew need lube so i touched the corner of the sprew to some gulf wax cased a few more rounds ans the bullets looked like crap i new immedatly what i did i just dont know how to fix it lol please help thanks guys!
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

bullet mold lube? Empty Re: bullet mold lube?

Post by eagle60 Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:02 pm

I'm by no means an expert at casting but seems to me like the gulf wax would burn off just like when you add candle wax to the lead to flux it. It may take several times but should clear out. As far as the crappy looking bullits, are you sure the mold is hot enough when you are casting?
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:14 pm

I use gulf wax to lube my pins and to coat the bottom of the mould while the mould is closed to sit in the lead because lead won't stick to wax so there for, the lead will come off when the mould is lifted out of the lead when warming up.

To clean the cavities, get some acetone and hold the mould open over a container, pour acetone into the cavities and usinga toothbrush, brush them really good.... That will get the cavities clean again.

Now for lubing the spru plate and the alignment pins, make a small round long tube about the thickness of a pencil. THen melt some gulf wax into a liquid and pour it in the round mould you just made. Basically you will have a penicl made of wax. When you get the mould up to temp. just touch the base of the spru plate with it, not alot just a tad and it will pull the wax into the spru plate bolt area, then do the alignment pins and you should be good to go...

when you go to bring the mould up to temp, be sure to keep the mould blocks closed tightly, take the gulf wax and coat the entire bottom of the mould from the bottom portion of the handle down to the bottom of the block. Get the bottom really good as well.

2 things you are doing, preventing any lead from sticking to the mould, ,plus while the mould is in the lead coming to temp, the wax burning off is also helping to flux the lead pot. Except there wont be flame but some smoke to be ventilated., then take the mould out, skim the lead and start casting..

If you ever get lead stuck on the mould, get the mould hot, then rub the lead with wax and watch that lead start to slide and then wipe it from the mould...
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:12 pm

thanks guys hey eagle yea the mold was plenty hot they where dropping beautyiful bullets till i got that wax in the cavitys now i cant get it out i can see it in the mold i got it super hot and i could se the liquid wax in the cavities but it want come out i scrubbed it hot i scrubbed it cold im gonna try again tommorow its just a bummer cause i was on a roll and had to stop i could have made a butt load of bullets today!
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:46 pm

dartfreak75 wrote:thanks guys hey eagle yea the mold was plenty hot they where dropping beautyiful bullets till i got that wax in the cavitys now i cant get it out i can see it in the mold i got it super hot and i could se the liquid wax in the cavities but it want come out i scrubbed it hot i scrubbed it cold im gonna try again tommorow its just a bummer cause i was on a roll and had to stop i could have made a butt load of bullets today!

Acetone from walmart will get it out PDQ...... Get the mould back up to temp, get it away from the lead and pour the acetone into the cavities using a toothbrush brush it out... Wipe clean , then get back to casting..
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:37 am

Ok will try
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:36 am

Be sure to "overfill" your mold....so you have plenty extra to cut off the sprue...that will help in filling out completely. Lead is heavier than wax....the lead should displace the wax up and out of the mold...why the wax wants to stay , even after being cleaned seems a bit odd.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:26 pm

yea i know i just assumed it would burn it out so when i got it in there i was like well it will burn out i filled up the molds several times trying to get it to burn out but no luck im gonna try the acetone hope it will work
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down