Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ARs again

+10
hawcer
Arty
Mohunter
RemMan700
Retired Navy
Daywalker
XbonesX
dartfreak75
Reload3006
Hughie
14 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

ARs again Empty ARs again

Post by Hughie Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:01 pm

went to some local dealers this past week first of all didnt have my hopes very high cause thats just the way it is here with the dealers.Im on budget and thats that so.get to the first dealer guy#1 tells O it dont matter what you by ARs the uppers or lowers not sure what the hell he was talking about, are all made by 3 companys, never told me who they are.But DPMS is all I buy ok thats because this store are a dealer for them. ALL the prices are the same all ARs are made by the same company?? dont know who yet but anyway I do know prices Are not the same.Any way this guy was starting to hit a nerve with me . I will not be buying anything from them Twisted Evil Next dealer guy#2 builds DPMS but did say he could get me a AR cheaper ( complete AR ) than building me one seems fair nice to know that. DPMS Orcale 16" or 18 barrel 1:9 twist. for $750 . Ok here is my question if only 3 makers of uppers or lowers if you are going by what dip shat said at the first store i went to. WHAT sets apart STAG ,BUSHY,DPMS need some schooling here . Getting alittle Evil or Very Mad with dealer guy #1
Hughie
Hughie

Back to top Go down

ARs again Empty Re: ARs again

Post by Reload3006 Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:36 pm

dont know what to tell you I've never owned a black gun. But seems to me its a crock as you say I dont think that Colt Remington Smith & Wesson, Springfield Bushmaster Rock Island are all buying theirs. from 3 companies. but Like I said I have never owned a black gun so dont know. I do know that The M16-A1 I packed in the Navy was made by Mattel Suspect
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:47 pm

just an added tid bit Armalite designed and patented the AR-10 and AR-15 rifles sold the patent and rights to colt in 1959 so the exclusive patent has expired. now almost anyone with a manufactures FFL are making a derivative.
as to which one is better or if there are only three players left is anyone's guess. Maybe only 3 players who are willing to sell just a upper or lower? Dont know as i said ive never owned a black gun. but did pack on for a while
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:06 pm

yea you cant listen to nothing shooters supply has to say theres always about 15 prick heads in there and only 1 of them works there and the only one that want talk to you is the one that works there no service at all! last time i was in there i was looking at 1911s and this guy was trying to tell me you could shoot a 22-250 out of a 223 i was like dude 22-250 is twice as big around as a 223 he keep saying he could so i said go for it one less idoit it this world huh!
but anyways i think your best bet on an ar is to keep digging around online untill you find some good deals and buy it one piece at a time start with your striped lower get them for 89 bucks then save up get a bolt and carrier like 150 then get all your in sides for your lower sos on and so on it may take you a couple years but atleast you will have some parts for an ar
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:21 pm

XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:50 pm

Hughie:

Gander Mountain has on sale right now in Roanoke Bushmaster AR 15 and you can get it for around 699.99. White tail Outfitters in Riners sells Oly's which are very nice AR's around the same price...

Just so you know....

If you get a good deal on a stripped lower, I can help you put it together and build your own which you will have more of a bond with it and great sense of ackomplishment...
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Retired Navy Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:20 pm

Don't know the number of manufactures but the difference in cost is in the amount of time spent finishing the final product (smoothing out forging, milling, etc) some company's pay more attention to detail than others due. I have assembled a few AR's by mixing and matching components from different company's without any problems. I tried to buy the best components for what money I had (which wasn't much). It doesn't have to be expensive to be good. For me building/assembling these rifles was a great satisfaction (To say I did it myself) really sounds good. I do not want to steal this thread but one question for DW - Did you ever get the Plum Crazy lower you were looking at?
Retired Navy
Retired Navy

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:12 pm

I'm glad you mentioned that RN,, I have been talking with them since I have found about them. The last I talked, they had none in stock and was on backorder. The guy was suppose to email me when they came back. Things have came up and kept me busy, I done "Plum" forgot all about them LOL...

I'm going to get up with them tommorrow and talk to them again. I don't have the funds right now to get one..... But I still want one to mess around with....
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RemMan700 Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:29 pm

There are three major companies that manufacture the majority of all upper and lower receivers. If you are looking for a basic AR then I would not worry about the brand too much. I personally would stay away from the DPMS Oracle or any other AR that has a pencil barrel. That barrel will heat up super fast. Stag is probably the best AR out there for the money.
RemMan700
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Hughie Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:39 pm

OK thanks guys for the info and letting me VENT Razz Ill try the store in Riner daywalker been wanting to go down there anyway kinda for got about that store. Thats where you can get a buffalo burger right?? bounce i LOVE THOSE THINGS lol! Troll
Hughie
Hughie

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:45 pm

Hughie wrote:OK thanks guys for the info and letting me VENT Razz Ill try the store in Riner daywalker been wanting to go down there anyway kinda for got about that store. Thats where you can get a buffalo burger right?? bounce i LOVE THOSE THINGS lol! Troll

Yep, right up the road from whitetail. The buffalo place is closed on Mondays.
I had the Olympic Arms Plinker. Paid the 699.99 for it and it came with the case. Only 2 things I did not like. It is an A2 style so it has a permanant carry handle. Not much modifiying you can do. To Scope it, the scope will be sitting high on the handle. Number 2, when I got my Grendel Upper, it would not fit on the Oly lower. I tried 2 Lowers from Olympic arms and it would not fit either one. Not sure if my stag would fit their lower. But if you don't plan on switching uppers you may be ok. Infantryjohn has the same oly. I may try my stag upper on his lower...

Looking back, I still wish I had not forgot to bring my AR up that day for you to shoot. I will bring it and the Grendel next time tho....
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hughie Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:32 am

Ok thanks thanks for the info. We will go back soon I have work to do get things caught up and then I want to go the the range and do sum work.
Hughie
Hughie

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:09 am

Hughie wrote:Ok thanks thanks for the info. We will go back soon I have work to do get things caught up and then I want to go the the range and do sum work.

if you need help at the range cleaning just let me know. My sthil is itchen to be fired up again.. LOL...
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:12 am

I'm pretty sure that DPMS is owned by Remington Arms.
Don't know much about the rest, but like what's already been said.......when the patent runs out anybody who has the proper license can build and sell them. So be careful what you buy, just because it fits doesn't mean that it's good quality and vice versa.
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by RemMan700 Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:53 am

Mohunter wrote:I'm pretty sure that DPMS is owned by Remington Arms.
Don't know much about the rest, but like what's already been said.......when the patent runs out anybody who has the proper license can build and sell them. So be careful what you buy, just because it fits doesn't mean that it's good quality and vice versa.

Cerberus the company that owns Remington also owns DPMS and Bushmaster. So when you see a Remington R-15 it is a rebadged Bushmaster Varminter and the R-25 model is just a rebadged DPMS.
RemMan700
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:00 pm

yes that is right!!
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:05 pm

I thought that was true. I remember reading it somewhere but can't remember where I read it?

Just a little teaser.........Here's a cool video of a Panther DPMS in action.
I bet Hughie will really be wanting want after watching this video, I know it sure makes me want one. Or maybe I'd just like to slaughter some hogs?

Who wouldn't enjoy this? Cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiHmYsyVniE
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Arty Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:51 pm

Not sure but I recall DPMS standing for Defense Procurement Materials Systems, or something similar. Did they sell to Uncle Sam?
Arty
Arty

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:56 am

dang thats alot of pork you reckin they go back and collect the meat or leave them lay? that seems like alot of waste to me not sure i agree with that theres not much of a hunt involved!
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:55 am

I agree Dart. I hope they went and picked up the hogs for if nothing else to feed the poor. I hate killing just for the sake of killing Just the way I was raised. But as far as hunting is concerned those were feral hogs not the native wild pigs indigenous to the area like the Javelina I know I may be wrong on that point all pigs may be transplanted but not only do these wild pigs destroy crops but they also destroy wild habitat. The Missouri Department of Conservation says to shoot them on site. No Season No limit.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:58 am

Yea in some places the hog population is so huge, that some has to go to extremes to control them.

That is alot of pork!! I would not mind one or 2 of them for my freezer.

Here is my main concern......

How in the world is he gonna go back and find all the brass to reload? I mean, unless he has a brass catcher on his ar, that brass is going everywhere...

Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:03 am

I know most AR's are machined from 2...maybe three different companies forgings....and then you have many more that are made from a solid block of billet.

yes...one major company might own a few minor companies producing the same product...this does not make them the same!

It would be like comparing Chevy,Pontiac,Buick and Saturn. They might all have models built on the same platform, but the quality, comfort, performance and options are not even close to being the same....and neither are the prices.

Always remember, every company has their economy class all the way up to the ever elusive flagship class that only has one purpose....to act as a lure.

Get the most YOU can afford. Ask yourself things like :

-- do I really need a bayonet jug and/or flash hider?
-- Bull,Hbar or military profile barrel?
-- std or m4 feed ramps?
-- foward assist or slick side?

If you main use for the weapon is going to be casual target shooting or hunting ,alot of the options available for Ar's are unnecessary and are just adding to your costs.

Only a rich farmer buys a fully loaded $70,000 truck with leather interior to go beating around the fields in.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:17 am

thanks Hawcer we almost emot-hijack Huey's post. Sorry Huey
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:41 am

Something like this would be a good "get your foot in the door" dependable ar15.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/793/products_id/61625

The nice thing about the DPMS Lo-Pro upper is....it is easily converted into a side charger and is one of the most widely used uppers for that purpose. all that needs done is to have a slot milled behind the ejection port and drop in a side charging carrier.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:47 pm

i think this is your best bet comes with everything but hte stripped lower for 675 this is the one i want!
http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=199
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum