Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ARs again

+10
hawcer
Arty
Mohunter
RemMan700
Retired Navy
Daywalker
XbonesX
dartfreak75
Reload3006
Hughie
14 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

ARs again - Page 4 Empty Re: ARs again

Post by hawcer Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:38 pm

I'd say a carbon AR15 22lr....would be killer

Like you, I'm just not convinced yet on the bigger bore stuff.

And since I work on vehicles all day that are supposed to be all high tech plastic and such....it's all crap and won't hold up to the weather,chemicals or heat.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:47 pm

I know Mossberg has an all polymer ar15 22lr. The whole rifle is one piece, the upper does not come off the lower at all. I think S&W may have one also...
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:49 pm

I forgot about them Plum crazy lowers....darn, I was going to get one of those for my 22lr upper and never did....I must of gotten side tracked.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:59 pm

Yea I am gonna get a little crazy when I get mine. For the price, I can do a good test. Plus they have a lifetime warranty. I plan on putting my .223 upper on it and then using my 6.5 Grendel Upper. They day I get my 50 beuwolf, I plan using that as well. By that time, I will prob put the stag upper dedicated to the plum crazy and the beuwulf to the Lauer lowe the Stag is on now. But make sure I do some good testing. Lifetime warranty, we will see....

Great, now I need to go search through my stuff see what I can sell off to try to get a plum crazy lower now... What I get myself into? LOL
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RemMan700 Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:15 pm

The Carbon Bushy's have had problems with cracking. There is also another company (can't remember the name) that used to make a lot of AK-47 style guns with carbon receivers and they also had cracking issues. I also see it not being a good option for long time wear. Another thing to think about is that you are going to reload for the rifle and if there ever is that time you have a kaboom Aluminum is going to hold together then carbon.
RemMan700
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by RemMan700 Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:22 pm

Here is a pic of one that is a 9mm that cracked. Now I am sure there are some aluminum uppers that have cracked as well.

ARs again - Page 4 Carbon10
RemMan700
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:24 pm

Not going in to the Glock vs. (insert name of fav pistol) either. Carry what you like and shoot well, its all good as long as it goes bang.

I have never heard of Plum Crazy, before this. Hell for a c-note I am willing to try them out. I would love to have a carbon fiber lower just to fool with, and it would be nice to have another lower or two so that I have lowers for all my uppers.

When you get the FFL paperwork DW read it real carefully as I used to have mine and I did a lot of my business on my kitchen table over coffee. I used to order for friends and my personal collection, and then I had a shop with a friend for a short period of time.

BATFE is getting sticky about not having a brick and mortar store, and they did not like my garage serving as my place of business.

Although I miss the days when the brown truck used to bring me new goodies. It was nice being able to order at retail for my personal collection. Which is something I guess the BATFE was trying to cut down the number of guys just getting the FFL so they could order guns much cheaper and avoid the store mark up.

Ah the days of calling up DPMS and ordering AR lowers are long gone for me. I might have to ask Frank down at the local store to see if he can get one of the Plum Crazy lowers any time soon.

I am skeptical of its durability under the larger rounds for the AR too. I think like a carbon fiber .204 or .17-223 would be killer, but not sure how it would hold up to some of the wilder rounds like the .50 Beowolf, and 6.5 Grendel.

Only part I am talking replacing with carbon fiber is the lower. I would never use a carbon fiber upper for anything other than maybe .22. I've always wanted a .22 WMR AR, and I think one in carbon fiber would be the shite!!!
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by RemMan700 Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:28 pm

Yeah a carbon or plastic lower would be nice. The upper is the only thing I would stay away from when it comes to center fire calibers.
RemMan700
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:32 pm

I agree RemMan I would not want a center fire carbon fiber upper in anything no matter who made it.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:16 pm

Oh I am not getting my FFL, what I mean by my FFL is the person I go through to get all my weapons.

As long as Plum Crazy stands behind their lifetime warranty, I won't worry about what caliber I put through it. That is the great thing about testing and testing the company to see if they mean what they say and do.

Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:19 pm

The web address to plum crazy....

http://www.pcfmfg.com/

Hughie, this information is for you too, hope your reading and getting a brain full of info LOL... You started a good topic it appears. One of the longest running ones....
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:19 pm

OK DW I think I am going to see if my FFL guy (Frank) can get me one of the Plum Crazy lowers too.

I could always use another AR lower or two.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by Hughie Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:08 pm

I going to check out the S&W and some other ars he has , but after seeing the pic of 9mm I am definately going to stay away from the carbon upper thanks RemMan . Have not got a chance to look at the plum crazy yet thanks guys ... Smile
Hughie
Hughie

Back to top Go down

Post by 2005ghostrider Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:36 am

I was at the gun show last Saturday and their was a guy selling the Plum crazy lowers. I picked one up and looked at it but didn't think to ask the price. It would work great with a dedicated 22lr upper and probably would last even with a .223 as well. The one I picked up also had a descent trigger better then a standard mil-spec trigger group. You guys got me thinking about one now.....

2005ghostrider

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:05 am

Our local gun shows always have several tables of AR stuff.

Olympic Arms is a local manufacturer of AR stuff and their quality is about on par with Bushmaster. Some hate the Olympic (commonly referred to as Oly around here like the beer) rifles and receivers and some like them.

I had an Oly 9mm that was OK for a while but got rid of it several years ago for a more useful carbine.

I have not seen any of the Plum Crazy stuff until DW mentioned but for a c-note I am willing to bite and try one. It would be nice to have lowers for all of my uppers and the price is within my budget.

I have a Spike's Tactical dedicated .22 LR upper and I am planning to mate it to a Plum Crazy lower if I can get one.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:09 am

gun broker has plum crazy lowers, complete for 119.00. Collapsable stock and all.

I used to have an Oly. my very first AR was an Oly the plinker plus. I sold it when my Grendel Upper got here and it would not fit onto the Oly lower. Right then I knew I had to sell it and get a Lower that was compatible with any uppers that I want. My neighbor, infantryjohn has the same Oly that I had. The Grendel Upper would not fit his Oly lower either....
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:10 am

Speaking of Oly....that's what my 22lr/17hm2 upper is....No complaints here Smile

It is in desperate need of it's own lower.... I think there is a Plum Crazy lower on gunbroker at the moment for around $115 ,but I have to hold off for awhile.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:34 am

I think we are all looking at the same Plum Crazy lowers on Gunbroker as that was the second place I looked after DW mentioned the lowers.

I have to wait until maybe next month myself, as the budget is a bit tight at the moment for splurge purchases.

I'm in between semesters at school on spring break, so I do not get my housing when I am on break.

Good thing is I have been catching up on some of my projects around here on my bench.

I really like messing around with the AR platform, in all of its various calibers, but I sure wish someone would make one in either .22 WMR or a small (cheaper) centerfire .22 like .221 Fireball or .22 Jet.

Accuracy from my Spike's Tactical .22 upper is awsome - on par with some of the better bolt action .22 rifles. But accuracy from the Spike's Tactical BCG .22 LR is about less than minute-of-prarie dog.

Problem is the BCG .22 LR replacements shoot a .22 bullet that mikes around .221 when the bore of our ARs are about .224. So you have a little bullet flying down a barrel in free flight.

Is great fun to put on the poor man's Ghilie suit and crawl close to the mounds and try to pop the little pests with various .22 LR rifles and pistols.

Prarie dog sniping is where that Warne RAMP mount on my AR will come in handy. From under my Ghilie suit I can lay the AR on its side and use a Burris Fast Fire red dot without having to raise onto my elbows.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:42 am

I have been really chewing itching getting a AR10 in 6.5 creedmore. would the build be about the same?
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:59 am

30-06 I do not see why not. I believe the 6.5 Creedmore is a slightly modified case of the old 6.5-.308 wildcat, but designed to shoot in AR style rifles.

The AR10 is a great platform and there are some great rifles being made now that the Army is fielding both AR10 style rifles and the M14 again for the Designated Marksman (pc term for "sniper").

I have a G3 but always wanted an AR10 to fool with. I think the 6.5 Creedmore is a great round, and it will be neat to see someone work up some info for one.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by Hughie Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:43 pm

OK my question im looking at a 300fireball upper for my self to go on the S&W lower should everything work and fit ok?? its a dpms upper . and is the .300 fireball a ok round ??......... scorge do you have anything in the .300 fireball????
Hughie
Hughie

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:22 pm

The .300 Fireball is the .221 necked up to .30 cal and is similar in performance to other short .30s such as the .30 AR, the .30 Pederson, and the .300 AAC.

It is a decent round, but not very common in the AR platform and has had some feeding issues much like the original .300 Whisper had. Even the .300 AAC had some growth pains and it took some fiddling to get it to work correct in the M4 platform.

I do not own a .300 Fireball but have a .300 Whisper-R done by Mike Bellm that I can use either .221 or .357 Rem Max brass. They are very similar in performance and both are great with cans.

My other "short 30s" are a .32-20, a ChiCom SKS, a .30 Bower-Alaskan (ex-30 Herrett), and a .309 JDJ which is near .30-06 in capacity.

If it were my money I would look at getting either a S&W M&P15 7.62x39 upper, a .300 AAC or a .30 AR rather than try to monkey with a round known to be finicky in the AR platform.

The .300 AAC was designed because one of the rounds they wanted to duplicate was the .300 Whisper. The Whisper is best in bolt or single shot guns where it shines, so the .300 AAC was designed to take advantage of the AR MK4 platform.

The .300 AAC was designed for can use and if you could, might be something to consider rather than a .300 Fireball which keeps the parents case shoulder angle and has slightly less powder capacity than the .300 Whisper but a tad more than the .300 AAC or the .30 AR.

One of the best suppressed rounds used by ex-Soviet spec for teams like Spetz Natz and the FSB is the 7.62x39 necked up to 9mm and loaded with a heavy steel-tipped bullet. The rifles use standard 9mm pistol suppressors and are very deadly and able to penetrate up to 3mm of mild steel at 200 meters.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by Hughie Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:02 am

Well i thought i would bring ARs up again. this has been the longest running topic sooooo cool Very Happy . Laughing The 6mm ppc upper is the one i want I think Question Neutral If I buy this upper and the BCG do i have to the change any thing in my lower or will it just drop in? Question all so looking at a .243 upper how well of a round is the 6mm ppc any one own one ?? I think its close to a 6mm rem from what i have read ?? Question Ok lets hear it hughie out for now see ya Very Happy
Hughie
Hughie

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:04 am

You should not have to change anything on the lower for either of those 2 cartridges. I personally have not had any dealings with the 6mm ppc upper.
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RemMan700 Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:50 am

A .243 upper will not fit a 5.56 lower and will have to be put on a AR-10 sized lower. Now a 6mm PPC will fit a 5.56 lower. They only down side of that caliber is that it will be expensive to reload for but if that is not an issue then go for it.
RemMan700
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum