Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ARs again

+10
hawcer
Arty
Mohunter
RemMan700
Retired Navy
Daywalker
XbonesX
dartfreak75
Reload3006
Hughie
14 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

ARs again - Page 3 Empty Re: ARs again

Post by scorge30 Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:29 am

I believe my Warne RAMP mount is very similar to your Burris mount RemMan.

When school breaks for spring I will try to get the new scope and new mount attached to the Bushy AR.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by Hughie Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:45 pm

OK here is the deal a good friend of mine priced me a DPMS 16" brrl 5.56, adj stock flattop for $620.00 in my hand brand new in the box. Be a good one to get my feet wet ?? Should I??? or Shouldnt I???
Hughie
Hughie

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:55 pm

Thats a great price IMO. I say go for it. Building one would be a tad bit more than that.
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:58 pm

Just do it! Smile
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:04 pm

it wont be your last AR, might as well do it. see what you like and don't like about it and that will give you ideas for when you build your next one.
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:18 pm

I'd buy that in a blink!!

Building one as has been pointed out will cost more than that.

Good way to get in the "game" and see what you like and do not like. Price of admission into the AR "game" can be steep, but once your in, there is a world of possibility.

One of the greatest strengths of the AR is its versatility. You can load it small to shoot little critters (.204) or huge to thump something big (.450 Bushmaster). There are a lot of calibers inbetween that are fun to play with too.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:20 pm

yep, now you have a lower reciever, the upper recievers are out there. You can change an ar up any way you want. From changing out the barrels to dressing that thing to where you have to have a crane to carry it LOL....
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hughie Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:26 pm

Well just got not so good news talked to my friend on the phone everything is on back order and out of stock but he is still trying. He found a bushy its on back order. Wow this getting as bad as the .380 ammo shortage lol
Hughie
Hughie

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:33 pm

Here is a pic of my Bushy resting in its drag bag. Still has the POS Aimpoint clone red dot mounted, but it works so far. I have not got around to mounting the new Nikon BDC 600 scope and Warne scope mount.

ARs again - Page 3 Dscf0013
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:55 am

LOL...that's funny Scorge. I have the same Aimpoint copy....mine even has the aimpoint name on it. I just gave it to my little brother to put on the 45acp AR he just picked up...It lasted on my AK, so it should stay in one piece for awhile on his.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:17 am

For cheap POS made in some shite hole somewhere overseas that I got off Fleabay it has not been totaly bad little clone of an Aimpoint.

Mine has absolutely no markings on it to indicate where it was made, but the battery is from Taiwan so I imagine it was made somewhere in that region.

I can hit the 300 yard gong with ease with the red dot scope and it has served me well for close, informal shooting. When I take it off to mount the Nikon BDC 600 scope in its Warne mount, I am going to keep it as a back up optic if I need it later.

I like the Bushy but it has a weird paint scheme. From the side it looks black, but if you get at an angle or shine a light from an angle it looks brown. Never seen a paint scheme or plating it like it on an AR. Kinda weird how it goes from black to brown just by tipping the AR in the light.

I got it for $600 NIB without a box and manufacturer papers, from a dealer here in town. I could not pass it up, but I always wonder if they ordered for someone who decided he did not want it or never came to get it.

One of these days when I get tired of the weird paint scheme I will either Duracoat the AR or send it to one of the shops to have it either teflon coated or one of the other proprietary coatings.

I would love to have EA Brown satin chrome it and then Duracoat over that, or do like I did to my 7mm STW and just use a can of flat black spray paint.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by Hughie Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:30 am

WOW nice I like LIKE your AR scorge Very Happy You have a ( shooting times western) ?? allways want a gun in that round but I setteled for the 7mm mag
Hughie
Hughie

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:26 pm

Thanks Hughie - the finish on the Bushy AR is a little distracting and a little too pretty for me. I tend to lean toward more utilitarian and practical than fancy.

I am more of a minimalist on putting crap hanging off my AR. Rather than have a bunch of crap hanging on the AR I take off and attach as needed. Rather than risk that $300 Surefire foregrip everyday, I attach it when I need to be able to shoot at night.

Only reason I ended up with a 7mm STW is because I bought an old tang-safety style red recoil pad Ruger 77 in 7 Rem Mag for a ridiculous low price that was badly abused. It looked like someone dragged it behind a truck, and never cared for it.

Like some people when I purchase a used weapon I immediately toss a field head space guage in it to check for head space. My field head space guage fell into the barrel channel and rattled between the bolt and the chamber with the bolt closed.

So off went the rifle minus wood to the good folks at Shilen. They removed the old Ruger barrel and installed a 30" Palma medium weight 7mm STW barrel on it.

Before they shipped the rifle back to me they called me to tell me that the previous barrel was unsavable as some rocket scientist had attempted to bore the chamber out to something, probably a 7mm STW, but had buggered it up so bad that they tossed the old barrel in the recycling bin.

This was the first rifle that I had satin chromed by the folks at EA Brown who also installed one of their awsome JP Howitzer muzzle breaks on the rifle.

The 7mm STW rifle now kicks less than my .243 even shooting heavy 175 gr loads. It looked a little too shiny so a can of flat black Krylon was used to hose the rifle to something a little more in keeping with my tastes.

The 7mm STW still needs to be pillar and glass bedded and the stock needs refinishing, but main problem is I cannot find a case so far that will take a hunting rifle with near 33" of barrel (counting barrel and brake).

I have been real pleased with the satin chrome finish on the 7mm STW rifle and that is why I mentioned it for my Bushy with its odd paint scheme. Kinda a weird looking Bushy that turns black-brown depending on how I tilt the rifle.

Most people think my Bushy has auto paint on it as there are several car paints that will reflect different colors depending on the angle of light. My Bushy is a strange duck and I have yet to see another finished like it.

The folks at Bushmaster were very helpful and told me it left their shop as a flat black mil spec AR15. Somewhere between the manufacturer's shop and the local gun store someone got a hold of it and refinished it to this odd coating it wears now.

I was heading home from work during the brief time that I worked for the state, and the vacuum from the door of the gun store just sucked me right inside, like a black hole I was powerless to resist.

Lying on the counter was this odd-looking Bushy, that was still as NIB but lacked anything else. When I asked Frank how much he told me $600 and I told him to break out the paperwork as I was running to the ATM accross the street.

So that is how I ended up with my odd-duck of an AR Bushy otherwise mil-spec AR15.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by eagle60 Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:30 pm

scouge, even if it looks a little odd to ya, as long as that puppy does it's job, you definately have a winner with what you gave for it.
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:07 pm

Actually Eagle for my "junker" AR15 and the one that I have abused the most, it has done a real good job.

I have really abused this one, by dragging it through blackberry brambles, getting it soaked in brackish water hunting feral pig on the penisula by the ocean, and shooting it to the exclusion of my other ARs.

Only FTF I have suffered have either been OE (operator error), magazine issue (bent feed lips, worn feed lips, etc), or ammo issue.

For some reason my Bushy does like either Silver Bear or Brown Bear ammo. It will not reliably feed either brand although I shoot Wolf ammo by the bucket.

Otherwise my Bushy has fed anything I have stuffed in a magazine, with respectable accuracy for a non-free floated carbine barrel.

I have ran in a weekend prarie rat shooting excursion as much as 500 to nearly 700 rounds through it without cleaning. Using a poor man's Ghillie Suit we were able to creep fairly close to the prarie dogs, and could pop them at will.

Where we go shoot prarie rats in my original state of residence and birth, it gets very hot & dry in summer. So we shoot prarie rats in the cooler parts of the days & sit in the shade, nap & drink cool beverages during the heat of the day.

While far from "match grade" my Bushy did great service, when both my pet .22-250 AI and .240 Weatherby ran out of fodder. Kept me in the game and was much fun being able to shoot fast enough to get multiple rats before they dived back in the holes.

One problem shooting a repeater with a large magazine of ammo is you can lose operational awareness and become so focused on hitting your targets that you do not realize that your barrel is becoming cherry red.

I saw that happen and even been victim to it in combat. On a large prarie dog mound you can get so wrapped up hitting as many of the little pests as possible that you forget to space your shots so you do not smoke your barrel.

I switched to a People's Republic of Kalifornia legal 5 round magazine to make me space my shots and take the time between mags for the rifle to cool. When the ambient temp raises above 90 deg F mark, at less than 8% humidty, things heat fast.

I am looking forward to this year's excursion as I have that new laser thermometer I got from Harbor Freight - I want to see how hot some of these barrels are getting on the rifles.

I've tried not to destroy the barrel in the Bushy, but then I have not babied it either. The barrel on the Bushy is climbing over the 3,000 round mark soon and the throat erosion guage barely registers a small smidge of wear.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by Hughie Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:04 pm

how important is foward assist ?? for me i dont think i really need it.
Hughie
Hughie

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:17 pm

Not very important at all if you keep your gun clean. The only other time they come in handy is if you want to slowly and quietly chamber a round. It helps ease the cartridge all the way into the chamber.

That's why I like the DPMS upper receivers that don't have them so much. No unneeded parts and heavier walled....perfect for target shooting Smile
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:30 pm

Several AR15 makers do not offer a forward assist or offer rifles with and without them.

The forward assist is a device to ensure that in combat when using a dirty weapon, you can still get a round to chamber.

Like Hawcer said, they do come in handy for quietly chambering a round if you are not trying to spook game, rather than letting the BCG fly as you should when normal loading.

All of my ARs have forward assists, and I do not think that I have used any of them.

Minus a foward assist you are lighter by a few ounces, and have a smoother weapon which is a plus in my opinion. The less protrusions off the weapon the less it grabs sticker bush, wait-a-minute vines, and blackberry vines.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by Hughie Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:50 pm

ok thanks guys daywalker sent me to a outfitter and he has like 15 ars in stock RR,stag,dpms,S&W,bushy... I called him this morning he couldnt price all of them but he told me he had a sale on the S&WMP15 & a carbon lite bushy $ 679 on the S&W and & $650 on the bushy carbon lite but the S&W dont have forward asist but im going there this week and check him out . I called to see what he had cause its about 50 miles from here and gas went up to $3.30 a gal Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad
Hughie
Hughie

Back to top Go down

Post by RemMan700 Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:06 pm

Stay away from the carbon Bushmasters. Do you know which model of S&W it is??? the Sport?
RemMan700
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:06 pm

Wow, those prices are better than when I was there. He had the oly's for 699.99 and the next inexpensive was like 8 something LOL. That was also when the scare was starting to ease off and he was getting them back in stock....

I would go with the S&W... Check that one out.
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:47 pm

Not sure why RemMan is suggesting shy away from the carbon Bushy? Please explain why we should avoid the carbon Bushy?

I have a S&W upper in 5.45x39 that I bought on a lark at the gun show slightly used and I have been pleased with it.

When 5.56 NATO was scarce as hen's teeth, the shelves were still loaded with all the Russian-made and former Iron Curtain countries ammo. Its all about the same, but using either my odd duck Bushy lower or the DPMS lower, either one shoots the S&W upper just fine.

The S&W upper does mate to the DPMS lower better, and I have shot a bucket fulls of that steel cased 5.45x39 both informal plinking and pest control.

Only complaint against the S&W upper is that is has an A3-style forward sight, which one of these days is getting yanked off for some other gas block. I do not bother co-witness sights, so I do not care for the extra junk sticking up on the nose of the rifle.

Been eye balling the Dremel tool and considering just whacking the top off the A3 sight.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:56 pm

The only reason to shy away from the carbon Bushy that i can think of is long term strength and wear. That's an awful lot of weight hanging on a small threaded section of tube....especially if he ever decided to upgrade to a bull barrel.

Plus one ill fated fall off the bench....and he might have two pieces that won't go back together.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:21 pm

Hawcer I have the same reasons for avoiding the carbon fiber in a field rifle. For a safe queen or a spoiled bench rifle like my RRA, a carbon fiber is not a bad option - I would love to shave a pound and half off an AR.

I have avoided the carbon fibers just because I have not seen a lot of wear tests, and ruggedness testing. Also if Uncle Sam does not issue it, then it is suspect in my books.

Even the new ACR has an all aluminum receiver, although it does have carbon fiber in the upper.

I think the carbon fiber receivers are a neat idea. One that I hope maybe in the future with better polymers, and technology may pan out. Hell we're building planes out of it now!!

For an ultra-light AR with a pencil-thin whip barrel, you can't beat the carbon fiber recievers if shaving every ounce you can is an issue.

For a first AR, or one that you plan to use as the base for several other uppers, I too would avoid a carbon fiber.

I was just wondering who else had consider a carbon fiber receiver and why they avoid it too.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:38 pm

Personally, I am looking into what once was known as plum crazy. They sell their lower recievers with built in collapsable stock all one piece, all you need is an upper and for right around a C-note, great price.

They changed their name from plum crazy because law enforcement were starting to purchase them and did not think having plum crazy on the lower reciever very professional. If you search plum crazy tho you can still find the company. It is an all polymer lower reciever, LPK, and collapsable stock. They say it is the same polymer that Glock uses and if it is good for Glock, then it has to be good for everything else (according to Glock lovers out there). I was on a waiting list, but never got back to me. Guess I got lost in the big change over. I will have to get with my FFL and see if I can still order one. I don't mind being the test ginny pig.

I am just not a fan of bushmaster. Never really was. I won't get into details, just like Glock, there are those that worship them and those that don't and its personal preferance. I tend to keep things to myself as there is no real reason to put something down that another person owns because you don't really care for that brand LOL...
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum