Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

cut slug

+5
Reload3006
kcatto
eagle60
Mohunter
Ironworker78
9 posters

Go down

cut slug Empty cut slug

Post by Ironworker78 Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:11 pm

Anyone here tried this yet? I was out in the woods a couple weekends ago and remembered to try this. You take a perfectly normal shotshell, standard trap variety will do, and slice with a knife around the middle so that only about a eighth of an inch remains. Load said shell into chamber by hand as it will not cycle anymore, and shoot. The entire front section of the shell comes out the end of the barrel and travels to the target. This is the cool part, it enters the target like a slug then turns inside out, very devastating. I shot some old timbers someone left at the gravel pit, 12 gauge hole in the front and cone of destruction out the back. I was impressed. I don't know how good it is for the gun, but it seems to be no problem. Makes for cheap fun. I am sure people have been doing this for years, but that was my first experience with it.

Ironworker78

Back to top Go down

cut slug Empty Re: cut slug

Post by Mohunter Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:32 pm

Seems like it might wallow out the chamber or the throat leading into the bore? I dunno, this is the first I've ever heard of it.
I guess it would get ya out of the woods if you had a bear stalking ya and only had game loads with ya? Shocked

Or a Sasquatch? Troll rocketwhore
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by eagle60 Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:15 pm

Haven't tried it myself but my ex paw-in-law would do it from time to time, especially if he was hunting while intoxicated and just start shooting at whatever he deemed necessary. When he used up all his slugs, he would "ring" the regular shells and use them as slugs. As far as I could tell it didn't do much damage to his shotgun - -

eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by kcatto Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:57 am

my grandfather used to do this all the time.... I had forgotten about it... never seemed to hurt his old shotgun...

kcatto
kcatto

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:06 am

lol I guess when it comes to my shotguns I'm just a big kitty-cat I dont even like to shoot normal slugs in them. I am sure it probably wouldn't hurt anything but heck I dont know I grew up with my grandfather father uncles telling me that it will ruin your choke. It probably wouldnt but as i said in a different thread I dont need to shoot slugs so I Dont. LOL
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:20 am

There are some areas around the river here where I hunt that 75yrd. is the max shot distance so slugs would be ideal. Then other places I can shoot 500-600 yards acrossed an open pasture, so it all depends on where I decide to hunt on any given day what weapon will be going with me.

The only thing I think that doing this would probably do to a barrel or choke is if it were a straight modified barrel it could end up being an IP if you shot these quite a bit. You have to remember that your forcing part of the hull itself down the bore, which wasn't meant to go down the bore at all. So that could cause quite a bit of constriction at the muzzle end.

I'd say if you wanted to have fun with it and didn't make a habit out of it, then you probably won't hurt anything but I would stick with light loads like trap and skeet loads and stay away from Turkey magnum loads! Shocked
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:41 am

I would just hate to ruin a good shot shell. I guess if the shell was at it's last leg, then maybe a good way to go would be to cut it? I don't know. I know I have seen youtube video's of Eric (Iraqivet8888) something like that, doing it a few times..
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:08 am

so you cut it around were the wad is right? so the wad is holding the 2 ends together?
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:11 am

i youtubed that and i have to try it that is cool as crap!
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by kcatto Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:47 pm

yeah iraqvetren8888 has that video.... I missed it daywalker I had never seen it....

there is some great info there.... good call Tommy..

kcatto
kcatto

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:14 pm

I originally saw it on Eric's video too. I personally would choose not to do it if I could help it, but I thought it was a good idea for if i'm in the woods turkey hunting and I see some piggies and forgot my regular slugs.
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:37 pm

I too would feel bad about ruining a good shot shell.

However if you frequent the zombie forums, this technique has been discussed as naseum despite the fact that it reduces your supply of reloadable shells.

Supposed to be highly lethal, and definately has the "cool" factor the guys on the zombie forums love.

In an old SxS (or OU) it would be a neat thing but in a pump or auto might run into feeding issues. Zombies would be on your head before you could clear the action.

Used to do this with the bulk Wally World 250 brick no name game loads for giggles. No body used to bother to reload them but now we have figured out how to reload those cheap Rio and other "bargain beater" game load shells.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironworker78 Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:59 pm

The el cheapo Federal game load is the one that I tried. I don't load shotshell, but if I did I still probably would have tried it. I am sure I'll do it again later too. It was fun after all. I googled this since making my post and it seems everyone already does it. From what I saw this do to a timber, it would be a quick kill on a pig. But really messy.

Ironworker78

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:02 am

scorge30 wrote:I too would feel bad about ruining a good shot shell.

However if you frequent the zombie forums, this technique has been discussed as naseum despite the fact that it reduces your supply of reloadable shells.

Supposed to be highly lethal, and definately has the "cool" factor the guys on the zombie forums love.
there are zombie forums? thats crazy people are taking that crap way to serious!
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:48 pm

dartfreak75 wrote:there are zombie forums? thats crazy people are taking that crap way to serious!

There are quite a few if you Google it. I think they are more harmless fun than any kind of practical use. However there are plenty of arm chair commandos that will tell you that you know nothing, and you will be the first zombie snack in town while they will rule triumfant and will impregnate every grateful woman who has ever refused their advances. Most of them only combat or weapon experience has been Call of Duty.

Most of the zombie forums are very elitist and not nearly as friendly as this forum though. Some of the prepper forums are nearly as bad, but some are pretty decent. Preppers like to horde ammo and stuff and getting more bang for your buck from cheap shells is a pretty popular subject.

The cut slugs are fun, and in my old 12 ga Win SxS with its ejectors does pretty well. In my Stevens .410 SxS cut plugs are a pain as it lacks the auto ejectors and you have to dig the brass out. In my Win SxS the lighter cut shells actually will eject over my right shoulder.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down