Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not happy about my new barrel

+4
EdgarEg
XbonesX
eagle60
RemMan700
8 posters

Go down

Not happy about my new barrel Empty Not happy about my new barrel

Post by RemMan700 Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:56 pm

Well I got my new Mossberg 500 rifled slug barrel today. Lets just say I am not very happy about it. When I took it out of the packaging I notice there where spots of the parkerized finish that were wore down to the bare metal. Lets just say my 14-15 year old field barrel that came with the gun has less wear marks on it. The packaging looks to have been sealed from the factory so I dont think it was a returned item that got sold again.

Then I looked down the barrel and it looked dirty which I kind of expected because they fire a few rounds through the barrels before shipping them out. Well I cleaned and cleaned and the barrel still looked the same and my patches were not coming out very dirty.. hmm something is wrong here. Well then I flipped the barrel around and looked through the muzzle. Shocked What the!! I see these weird blob shaped spots. I get my cleaning rod out and run the end over the spot and find out that it is some kind of shallow pit cause my rod just barely catches the edge of the spot. I guess what looks like fouling is tiny pits and then there are the big blob/spot pits. Mossberg said they would send me a shipping label so I could send it in and get a new barrel if this one is messed up. I just dont understand the pitting because I dont detect any kind of pitting on my patches and the spots have a ligher gray color to them almost like a calcified water spot. Maybe from the parkerizing process?

Here is a video but it is hard to tell the extent of the damage in the barrel:
RemMan700
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Not happy about my new barrel Empty Re: Not happy about my new barrel

Post by eagle60 Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:13 pm

It almost looks like some type of chemical was left on the inside of the barrel. No telling how long it has been on a shelf. I'm with you man, I wouldn't be happy about that either! Glad you're getting a replacement.
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:37 am

Doesn't surprise me. I bought my first Mossberg a couple years back and broke the safety/trigger assembly out of the box. They didn't do right by me, so glad to hear they are helping you.

BTW anybody want to buy a 12ga club? =P
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by EdgarEg Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:00 am

Some guy at the Mossberg factory is watching this and thinking "So that's what happened to that one I accidentally gouged with the reamer!"

Last edited by EdgarEg on Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:37 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
EdgarEg
EdgarEg

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:06 am

EdgarEg wrote:Some guy at the Mossberg factor is watching this and thinking "So that's what happened to that one I accidentally gouged with the reamer!"

Probably alot of truth to that...
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by RichBirdHunter Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:30 pm

You should email the video to mossbergs customer service
RichBirdHunter
RichBirdHunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:02 pm

Boy, I would be unhappy about that just because of the finish aside from whatever that is inside the barrel. I could have done a better job on the finish with Duracoat and I'm not even an expert or in the business of doing it full time. I've never done a parkerized finish, but Duracoat has some flat black finishes that look nearly identical and it's on there for good.
It would definitely go back in my opinion and if they are anything like Marlin, I'd keep sending it back until I got a barrel that was to my satisfaction.

I find it hard to believe really because I have a 500 in 20ga. and it was flawless out of the box, and never had a minute worth of trouble from it. Maybe I just got lucky?
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by RemMan700 Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:15 pm

Yeah this is the first bad experience I have had with Mossberg. I have had my 500 for 15yrs and it has been a great gun and very durable.
RemMan700
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by wiederladertv Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:29 am

Wow this barrel locks like the first work of the trainee.
wiederladertv
wiederladertv

http://www.wiederlader.tv

Back to top Go down

Post by RemMan700 Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:11 pm

Update:
The customer experiance with Mossberg was not very good at all. Every time I called up there nobody knew what was going on with my barrel even though I gave them my "repair number". It took calling the customer service supervisor and manager to get any info. A little over 4 weeks later (which I think should have taken less time for a quick barrel swap) they sent me a upgraded fluted barrel, a barska scope, and a Mossberg cap. The scope is a cheapie which I will probably just put on a .22, but I give them props for trying to make it right.
RemMan700
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by EdgarEg Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:57 pm

Did they ever offer an explanation of what happened to the barrel to cause it to be like it was when you got it, like maybe a tornado hit the factory that day or something?
EdgarEg
EdgarEg

Back to top Go down

Post by RemMan700 Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:53 pm

EdgarEg wrote:Did they ever offer an explanation of what happened to the barrel to cause it to be like it was when you got it, like maybe a tornado hit the factory that day or something?

Nope, that was another thing that kind of frustrated me. They just said that if the barrel was bad the repair dept would just cut it in half and trash it.
RemMan700
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:31 am

RemMan700 wrote:

They just said that if the barrel was bad the repair dept would just cut it in half and trash it.

hmmmm.....maybe they need to add that step at the end of the assembly line.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down