Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Using a Lee .224 sizer die to make jackets out of 22lr

3 posters

Go down

Using a Lee .224 sizer die to make jackets out of 22lr Empty Using a Lee .224 sizer die to make jackets out of 22lr

Post by Daywalker Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:36 pm

Well guys, as most you seen from my vid, I had modified a Lee .224 Sizer Die in order to make jackets out of 22lr for .224 bullets to shoot in my AR. I know this isn't a new concept. However, with some elbow greese, you to can make a de rim die for around 20.00 give or take. Prob a bit less. I am working on editing the vid at this moment. I do have some teaser pics tho..... I would like to thank Pathfinder for being on Skype helping me get my turning tool turned just right to round the end of the punch.. I would also like to thank RemMan700 for the surprise shipment of 3 factory push through punches. He was on skype the night I messed my original one up. I was going to order some new ones, but he beat me to it LOL... Thanks Ken...

The punch on left was turned down to .200 and the end rounded, the one on Right is original factory
Using a Lee .224 sizer die to make jackets out of 22lr N1dmq8

The Lee .224 size die modified to make opening larger
Using a Lee .224 sizer die to make jackets out of 22lr 4qm0so

22 Case fits the turned down push through punch
Using a Lee .224 sizer die to make jackets out of 22lr 2ywslsn

The De-Rimmed 22 case on left, unaltered on right
Using a Lee .224 sizer die to make jackets out of 22lr 2rqgccw

Using a Lee .224 sizer die to make jackets out of 22lr Vcv21j

Group Photo Guys..
Using a Lee .224 sizer die to make jackets out of 22lr 29ll7r4
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Using a Lee .224 sizer die to make jackets out of 22lr Empty Re: Using a Lee .224 sizer die to make jackets out of 22lr

Post by hawcer Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:11 am

That is awesome! Did you have to use your lathe to modify them...or can this be done maybe some other way with out a lathe?
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Using a Lee .224 sizer die to make jackets out of 22lr Empty Re: Using a Lee .224 sizer die to make jackets out of 22lr

Post by Daywalker Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:28 am

I did use the lathe. You could use sandpaper or just emory clothe. Probably take about an hour or so to turn that punch down by hand. You can enlarge the die with a drill press. Lathe not necessary, just faster and easier LOL... But yes, you can do it. Prob chuck the push through up in a drill press and let it spin while holding sandpaper along the side moving up and down checking the outer diameter as you do it...

Part one of the vid is uploading, then I will work on part 2...

Thanks for the kind words. This has been a project hiding just for the lathe. Today was a good day Smile
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:12 am

Looks like I know what to ask for a stocking stuffer this year...a Lee 22 sizer die with a extra punch Very Happy

I need numbers...what dimensions for the punch and what the sizer needs opened up to. pretty please?
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:21 am

I can get you the measurements. Prob be tomorrow tho. I know that my push through punch is .199-.200, bounces back and forth. I am sure if you went .198 you would still be ok

The opening for the die itself, I will measure the drill bits that I used. It was more of an eye thing. No real set in stone measurements. The reason I opened it up, I seen another guy using the lee sizer die without opening the mouth of it, and he had to press 3 times to get it to enter the die. By enlarging it, you eliminate the extra times you have to press them in..

You can order the whole kit for like 15 bucks and get the red catch or you can go to Lee Precision and order just the die for 12 bucks and the punches are 2.50. That right there, my opinion, just buy the whole kit then go to lee's website and order extra punches...

Now is the time to sit down and get some drawings done and start working on a point forming die.. hehehehe
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:12 am

I have parts 2 and 3 up now. I have posted these down in the youtube section in the forum with part one Modifying the Lee Sizer Die.....
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nicholst55 Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:01 am

Daywalker, I wandered in from Cast Boolits. Let me know what we can work out about a die..
nicholst55
nicholst55

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:23 am

nicholst55 wrote:Daywalker, I wandered in from Cast Boolits. Let me know what we can work out about a die..

Ah, glad to see you joined... I will let you know something really soon...
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:38 am

I also want to note, that measureing these now after running them through the sizer die, they OD is measuring.225-.226. I am thinking when I start on my point forming die, I will make one to about .223 to see if there is a little bit of spring back and if not, then I will make one at .224 that way it does the final sizing at the same time forming a point.
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:04 am

I have ordered some blank dies and they are on their way. As soon as they arrive, I will be working on the de rim dies. Also, I have ordered enough dies to make a point forming dies for the .224's. Should be able to have these as a complete set and still very affordable. I am making a road trip on Friday to pick up some more toolings to start on this. Once I get these .224's up and running and see that they are working, I will start on other calibers for swaging... Not set in stone, however, possible jacket making dies as well...
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down