Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone have a recipe for .223 Remington using Blue Dot?

+3
XbonesX
Reload3006
jpdeal
7 posters

Go down

Anyone have a recipe for .223 Remington using Blue Dot? Empty Anyone have a recipe for .223 Remington using Blue Dot?

Post by jpdeal Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:34 pm

Friend gave me an unopened pound of Blue Dot recently. I know that it is not recommended for rifle loads, but does anyone have any reliable data they have used to work up reduced loads for .223 using this powder?

I looked around on the web and found some information, but would rather try something from my trusted comrades here!

Only been hand loading for a little over a year, so I still consider myself a newb; so if I'm being stupid here you won't hurt my feelings.

Thanks!!
jpdeal
jpdeal

Back to top Go down

Anyone have a recipe for .223 Remington using Blue Dot? Empty Re: Anyone have a recipe for .223 Remington using Blue Dot?

Post by Reload3006 Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:12 pm

I have never heard of using blue dot ... but Red dot has been used with cast not sure the amount ... look up "The load" Blue dot is pretty slow. Not sure but I have heard it has issues. I use it for mag 12ga and 10ga
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Anyone have a recipe for .223 Remington using Blue Dot? Empty Re: Anyone have a recipe for .223 Remington using Blue Dot?

Post by XbonesX Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:44 pm

Nothing is listed on Alliant's website. I also checked Sierra's which is one of the more comprehensive manuals for the 223, still nothing. Personally I would just save it and use it down the line for something else.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/Powder.aspx?powderid=10

http://accurateshooter.net/Downloads/sierra223ar.pdf
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by george457d Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:04 pm

If I were you , don't open that can 'til you get some pistol dies ...
Like you said ,you only been loading for a year ...
Stick to the recipes , in the reloading books
Troll
george457d
george457d

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:57 pm

I seem to recall a problem with detonation using light loads with Blue dot and it is recommended to stay really close to max....and that was for magnum pistol loads. I don't think I would try to use it for reduced loads in a rifle...since you will be using even less of the case volume.

I have done some reduced loads with Unique with satisfactory results...but I'd steer clear of the Blue Dot in anything but what it is recommended for,that goes for H110 and W296 as well.

hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:42 pm

hawcer wrote:
I have done some reduced loads with Unique with satisfactory results...but I'd steer clear of the Blue Dot in anything but what it is recommended for,that goes for H110 and W296 as well.

From Hodgdon's website:

USE THIS DATA WITH HODGDON®, IMR® AND WINCHESTER® BRAND POWDERS ONLY.

For all brands of powders use only the components shown. If the reloader makes any changes in components or gets new lot numbers, he should begin again with the starting loads and work up to maximum cautiously.

For those loads listed where a starting load is not shown, start 10% below the suggested maximum load and then approach maximums carefully, watching for any sign of pressure (difficult extraction, cratered and flattened or blown primers, and unusual recoil). H110 and Winchester 296 loads should not be reduced more than 3%.

Reduce H110 and Winchester 296 loads 3% and work up from there. H110 and Winchester 296 if reduced too much will cause inconsistent ignition. In some cases it will lodge a bullet in the barrel, causing a hazardous situation (Barrel Obstruction). This may cause severe personal injury or death to users or bystanders. DO NOT REDUCE H110 LOADS BY MORE THAN 3%.
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:48 pm

hawcer wrote:I seem to recall a problem with detonation using light loads with Blue dot and it is recommended to stay really close to max....and that was for magnum pistol loads. I don't think I would try to use it for reduced loads in a rifle...since you will be using even less of the case volume.

jpdeal,

If your not familiar with what Hawcer is talking about its called "secondary ignition". It is explained pretty good on this thread http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=287729
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:52 pm

Now, if you happen to have a rifle chambered in 300acc you'd be in like flynn with that Blue Dot.

Also would work in magnums like 357,44mag,454,460 or even big bore semi-autos like the 450 Bushmaster. should even be right at home in a 410 shotgun.

have any of those? If not, now you have an excuse to get one Smile
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:24 pm

I think blue dot may be a bit fast for 410 could be wrong
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by EdgarEg Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:17 pm

XbonesX wrote:If your not familiar with what Hawcer is talking about its called "secondary ignition". It is explained pretty good on this thread http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=287729
Here is my favorite part of that discussion:
"This is a very controversial topic..."

As I recall it has never been reproduced under laboratory conditions.
EdgarEg
EdgarEg

Back to top Go down

Post by jpdeal Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:30 pm

Thanks for all of the replies fellas, this is the reason ATG is one of my fav sites!

I have a S&W 60 and my carry gun is a S&W 37 Airweight. I do load both .357 Mag and .38 Spl, so I'll use the Blue Dot in an appropriate manner.

I'm running low on my .223/5.56 component horde, so was just thinking of alternate ways to keep plinking for a while; until the dust settles and my LGS is able to return powder and bullet stocks to a normal level (and price).

Last edited by jpdeal on Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add information)
jpdeal
jpdeal

Back to top Go down

Post by EdgarEg Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:01 am

I found this but I have not tried it:

http://www.reloadingroom.com/index_files/Blue%20Dot.htm
EdgarEg
EdgarEg

Back to top Go down

Post by B W M Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:06 pm

I have never seen one for the 223 but I do not know every thing. I looked it up in my load book NO blue dot is a hand gun and shot gun powder. 380 9mm.

B W M

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down